Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Replaced power supply now computer won't boot

Replaced power supply now computer won't boot

Bill

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 21:40:42 -0500, philo <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 09/24/2010 10:03 AM, BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote:
>>

>Wow
>
>Have not seen that handle in 5 or ten years

I "retired" it for a long time, but when I recently re-subscribed to a
few computer groups, I decided to revive it.

chuckcar

philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:i7gf6g$gb1$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> On 09/23/2010 02:24 PM, udz2002 wrote:
>> I recently replaced my computer's power supply and now it beeps 9
>> times, pauses for 2-3 seconds, then beeps another 9 times. It does
>> this repeatedly 4 times. I checked the voltage and it is correct,
>> cables are secure. The power supply is compatible with the system
>> board. I went from a 300W to 500W power supply. HP's documentation
>> says the 9 beeps means the computer has power but cannot boot, which
>> I figured out on my own. I replaced the original power supply back in
>> the case and hooked it up and now it has the same issue. I am not
>> sure what the issue could be.
>>
>> HP dc5100 MT Pentium 4
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Josh

> You must have disturbed some wiring when you took the machine apart
>
> unplug and re-plug all connections and components
>
> the try again

come on philo! that's just a Post code.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

chuckcar

udz2002 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I recently replaced my computer's power supply and now it beeps 9
> times, pauses for 2-3 seconds, then beeps another 9 times. It does
> this repeatedly 4 times. I checked the voltage and it is correct,
> cables are secure. The power supply is compatible with the system
> board. I went from a 300W to 500W power supply. HP's documentation
> says the 9 beeps means the computer has power but cannot boot, which I
> figured out on my own.

9 beeps with *no* pauses? they don't go that high. There's going to be
two breaks in there - it's the same pattern repeated endlessly.

look at these and compare:

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

I replaced the original power supply back in
> the case and hooked it up and now it has the same issue. I am not sure
> what the issue could be.
>
> HP dc5100 MT Pentium 4
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Josh

It's called a BIOS beep code.
It's one of two things: RAM or video card.

Do you have an onboard video card? That is a plug for your monitor that
isn't attached to a PCI card? If not, remove the video card and then
turn on the computer. You won't get a boot this time either, but do you
get the same beeps? *exactly*? Then it's the RAM. Shut off the machine
and remove all RAM and then just put in one stick. try adding one stick
before every additional power on and you'll find the bad/incorrectly
inserted SIMM.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

ian field

"totfit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:24:04 -0700 (PDT), udz2002 <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I recently replaced my computer's power supply and now it beeps 9
>>times, pauses for 2-3 seconds, then beeps another 9 times. It does
>>this repeatedly 4 times. I checked the voltage and it is correct,
>>cables are secure. The power supply is compatible with the system
>>board. I went from a 300W to 500W power supply. HP's documentation
>>says the 9 beeps means the computer has power but cannot boot, which I
>>figured out on my own. I replaced the original power supply back in
>>the case and hooked it up and now it has the same issue. I am not sure
>>what the issue could be.
>>
>>HP dc5100 MT Pentium 4
>>
>>Thanks in advance,
>>Josh

> Most likely you jogged something when you replaced the power supply. I
> would first start by reseating the memory and making sure you "snap"
> it in good. If you have two or more sticks you might just swap slots.
> If that doesn't work try the same thing with cards. There should be a
> beep code also, that gives you something more specific than can't
> boot. That is a bit obvious. I seem to solve boot issues in about 3/4
> or the machines I touch merely by reseating the memory. It may not be
> quite that many, but I don't think saying the majority would be a
> stretch at all.

Of course replacing the PSU involves unplugging all the drive power
conectors - in the past I've seen one or two people manage to force a drive
power connector in the wrong way round - just a thought.

hwf

chuckcar wrote:
> udz2002 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I recently replaced my computer's power supply and now it beeps 9
>> times, pauses for 2-3 seconds, then beeps another 9 times. It does
>> this repeatedly 4 times. I checked the voltage and it is correct,
>> cables are secure. The power supply is compatible with the system
>> board. I went from a 300W to 500W power supply. HP's documentation
>> says the 9 beeps means the computer has power but cannot boot, which I
>> figured out on my own.

> 9 beeps with *no* pauses? they don't go that high. There's going to be
> two breaks in there - it's the same pattern repeated endlessly.

Sure they do
http://www.5starsupport.com/info/beep_codes.htm

Meat Plow

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 15:37:05 +0100, ian field wrote:

> "totfit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:24:04 -0700 (PDT), udz2002 <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I recently replaced my computer's power supply and now it beeps 9
>>>times, pauses for 2-3 seconds, then beeps another 9 times. It does this
>>>repeatedly 4 times. I checked the voltage and it is correct, cables are
>>>secure. The power supply is compatible with the system board. I went
>>>from a 300W to 500W power supply. HP's documentation says the 9 beeps
>>>means the computer has power but cannot boot, which I figured out on my
>>>own. I replaced the original power supply back in the case and hooked
>>>it up and now it has the same issue. I am not sure what the issue could
>>>be.
>>>
>>>HP dc5100 MT Pentium 4
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance,
>>>Josh

>> Most likely you jogged something when you replaced the power supply. I
>> would first start by reseating the memory and making sure you "snap" it
>> in good. If you have two or more sticks you might just swap slots. If
>> that doesn't work try the same thing with cards. There should be a beep
>> code also, that gives you something more specific than can't boot. That
>> is a bit obvious. I seem to solve boot issues in about 3/4 or the
>> machines I touch merely by reseating the memory. It may not be quite
>> that many, but I don't think saying the majority would be a stretch at
>> all.
>>

> Of course replacing the PSU involves unplugging all the drive power
> conectors - in the past I've seen one or two people manage to force a
> drive power connector in the wrong way round - just a thought.

I've said this before. I replaced the PSU on one of my peecees to
accommodate a video card that had its own 4 pin molex plug. I could have
used the adapter but I had a 425 watter laying around as a spare.
I replaced the supply and recabled the drives which was child's play.
Hadn't even installed the new video card yet. Upon flipping the on switch
to the on position on the back of the power supply I noted the lighted
power button on the front glowing solid blue. It usually blinks indicating
sleep mode. I depressed the on button and nothing. I stripped the devices
out, pluged a monitor into the onboard video and still nothing. Reseated
ram, nothing. I was careful to do this all after the green 5 volt LED had
gone out with the power cord unplugged. I even went so far ast to ground
the green "PSU On" wire on the main power plug to force the power supply
to start. It started but did not beep or boot. And the CPU fan ran at top
speed, not normal. So something happened. Maybe a slight charge of static
got to the CMOS and scrambled it. However resetting it did nothing. Or it
was just purely coincidence. Whatever it was it was 5 years old and
needed an upgrade anyway.

Buffalo

udz2002 wrote:
> On Sep 23, 3:10 pm, "ian field" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> "udz2002" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> I recently replaced my computer's power supply and now it beeps 9
>>> times, pauses for 2-3 seconds, then beeps another 9 times. It does
>>> this repeatedly 4 times. I checked the voltage and it is correct,
>>> cables are secure. The power supply is compatible with the system
>>> board. I went from a 300W to 500W power supply. HP's documentation
>>> says the 9 beeps means the computer has power but cannot boot,
>>> which I figured out on my own. I replaced the original power supply
>>> back in the case and hooked it up and now it has the same issue. I
>>> am not sure what the issue could be.

>>> HP dc5100 MT Pentium 4

>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Josh

>> Ignore the advice from the 2 looniest kooks on the group!
>>
>> The first strategy is strip out any extra cards not needed for the
>> most basic bootable system, if you think the HDD boot partition may
>> have somehow got corrupted, find, beg, steal or borrow a retired HDD
>> and try a clean install of the OS to confirm the basic MOBO - HDD
>> combination is capable of booting.
>>
>> With a bit of trial & error you can narrow down which component is in
>> trouble and then come back here for how best to fix it.

> Thanks Ian! I was questioning the first two suggestions.
>
> I did try powering on with and without the hard drive and with two
> different hard drives. I don't have anything else connected, not even
> the CD\DVD drives. I read a couple other posts that indicated that it
> may be the BIOS which would not be good.

Have you tried removing the mb battery (couple of hours) to let the BIOS
reset? Also, in your manual, you may find a couple of pins to short out
after you remove your mb battery to speed things up.
Buffalo

chuckcar

hwf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:i7l1ib$nhf$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> chuckcar wrote:
>> udz2002 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>> :
>>
>>> I recently replaced my computer's power supply and now it beeps 9
>>> times, pauses for 2-3 seconds, then beeps another 9 times. It does
>>> this repeatedly 4 times. I checked the voltage and it is correct,
>>> cables are secure. The power supply is compatible with the system
>>> board. I went from a 300W to 500W power supply. HP's documentation
>>> says the 9 beeps means the computer has power but cannot boot, which
>>> I figured out on my own.

>> 9 beeps with *no* pauses? they don't go that high. There's going to
>> be two breaks in there - it's the same pattern repeated endlessly.
>>

> Sure they do
> http://www.5starsupport.com/info/beep_codes.htm

3 short and 6 long for HP means what then?

There is no way there's a corrupted BIOS ROM. Or any of the other
*actual* 9 beep codes. Esp. as HP won't have their BIOS.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Buffalo

udz2002 wrote:
> I recently replaced my computer's power supply and now it beeps 9
> times, pauses for 2-3 seconds, then beeps another 9 times. It does
> this repeatedly 4 times. I checked the voltage and it is correct,
> cables are secure. The power supply is compatible with the system
> board. I went from a 300W to 500W power supply. HP's documentation
> says the 9 beeps means the computer has power but cannot boot, which I
> figured out on my own. I replaced the original power supply back in
> the case and hooked it up and now it has the same issue. I am not sure
> what the issue could be.
>
> HP dc5100 MT Pentium 4
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Josh

http://downloadnew.org/drivers/bios/...100-74832.html
Here is a link to a BIOS and Drivers page for your PC. If you do/can use
the:
- DOS Flash - DOS utility that can be used locally or with a preboot
execution environment (PXE) management application to update or restore the
system BIOS", make sure it is the proper one for your PC.

Also: http://downloadnew.org/software/hp-c...ase-unit-bios/

Buffalo

udz2002 wrote:
> On Sep 23, 3:10 pm, "ian field" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> "udz2002" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> I recently replaced my computer's power supply and now it beeps 9
>>> times, pauses for 2-3 seconds, then beeps another 9 times. It does
>>> this repeatedly 4 times. I checked the voltage and it is correct,
>>> cables are secure. The power supply is compatible with the system
>>> board. I went from a 300W to 500W power supply. HP's documentation
>>> says the 9 beeps means the computer has power but cannot boot,
>>> which I figured out on my own. I replaced the original power supply
>>> back in the case and hooked it up and now it has the same issue. I
>>> am not sure what the issue could be.

>>> HP dc5100 MT Pentium 4

>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Josh

>> Ignore the advice from the 2 looniest kooks on the group!
>>
>> The first strategy is strip out any extra cards not needed for the
>> most basic bootable system, if you think the HDD boot partition may
>> have somehow got corrupted, find, beg, steal or borrow a retired HDD
>> and try a clean install of the OS to confirm the basic MOBO - HDD
>> combination is capable of booting.
>>
>> With a bit of trial & error you can narrow down which component is in
>> trouble and then come back here for how best to fix it.

> Thanks Ian! I was questioning the first two suggestions.
>
> I did try powering on with and without the hard drive and with two
> different hard drives. I don't have anything else connected, not even
> the CD\DVD drives. I read a couple other posts that indicated that it
> may be the BIOS which would not be good.

From:
http://www.erchi.com/hp_sides/PSGDVD...whitepaper.pdf

The HP Compaq dc5100 Business PC uses the HP BIOS 786C2. Some key
features of the BIOS are: ROM Features
Description

Instantly Available PC (Suspend to RAM - S3)
Allows for very low power consumption with quick resume time.

ROM-based F10 Setup
Allows the user to review and customize BIOS settings.

Remote System Installation via F12 (PXE) (Remote Boot from Server)
Allows the user to boot a system over the network and download
software, including the operating system.

System/Emergency ROM Flash Recovery with video
Recovers a corrupted system BIOS.

BIOS Smart Card support
Uses BIOS pre-boot smart card authentication (passwords) via USB CCID
compliant smart card readers.

Buffalo