Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Replaced power supply now computer won't boot

Replaced power supply now computer won't boot

Buffalo

philo wrote:
> On 09/23/2010 02:24 PM, udz2002 wrote:
>> I recently replaced my computer's power supply and now it beeps 9
>> times, pauses for 2-3 seconds, then beeps another 9 times. It does
>> this repeatedly 4 times. I checked the voltage and it is correct,
>> cables are secure. The power supply is compatible with the system
>> board. I went from a 300W to 500W power supply. HP's documentation
>> says the 9 beeps means the computer has power but cannot boot, which
>> I figured out on my own. I replaced the original power supply back in
>> the case and hooked it up and now it has the same issue. I am not
>> sure what the issue could be.
>>
>> HP dc5100 MT Pentium 4
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Josh

> You must have disturbed some wiring when you took the machine apart
>
> unplug and re-plug all connections and components
>
> the try again

Good idea Philo,

Buffalo

Dan C

f42b-4935-8ca9-3f7fc5ea99aa@s19g2000...oglegroups.com...

>>> Thanks Ian! I was questioning the first two suggestions.
>>>
>>> I did try powering on with and without the hard drive and with two
>>> different hard drives. I don't have anything else connected, not even
>>> the CD\DVD drives. I read a couple other posts that indicated that it
>>> may be the BIOS which would not be good.

>> I had a compaq laptop i had to reinstall the OS on once. It failed to
>> boot up. compaq said I had to flash the bios. Once I did that it booted
>> up just fine.
>>

> Most MOBO manufactures reccomend only to flash the BIOS once you're sure
> everything else is ok.
>
> If you get a power outage half way through flashing the BIOS - the MOBO
> is toast.

Not true.

Perhaps (maybe!) the BIOS EEPROM chip is toast, but *NOT* the entire
motherboard. A BIOS chip is simple to replace.

Get a clue.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he garotted another passing Liberal.

udz2002

On Sep 23, 7:33*pm, Dan C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 21:47:06 +0100, ian field wrote:
> > "richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:k5gtj7gpgwrd.1ikltgj9xdjjm$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> (E-Mail Removed)...

> >> I had a compaq laptop i had to reinstall the OS on once. It failed to
> >> boot up. compaq said I had to flash the bios. Once I did that it booted
> >> up just fine.

> > Most MOBO manufactures reccomend only to flash the BIOS once you're sure
> > everything else is ok.

> > If you get a power outage half way through flashing the BIOS - the MOBO
> > is toast.

> Not true.
>
> Perhaps (maybe!) the BIOS EEPROM chip is toast, but *NOT* the entire
> motherboard. *A BIOS chip is simple to replace.
>
> Get a clue.
>
> --
> "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
> "Bother!" said Pooh, as he garotted another passing Liberal.
> Usenet Improvement Project:http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
> Thanks, Obama:http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/politica/thanks.jpg

All connections are solid, no visual damage -not sure what happened. I
tried clearing the CMOS with no luck. I am not sure how to replace the
BIOS. I think my machine may be dead.

Zeke

"udz2002" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I recently replaced my computer's power supply and now it beeps 9
> times, pauses for 2-3 seconds, then beeps another 9 times. It does
> this repeatedly 4 times. I checked the voltage and it is correct,
> cables are secure. The power supply is compatible with the system
> board. I went from a 300W to 500W power supply. HP's documentation
> says the 9 beeps means the computer has power but cannot boot, which I
> figured out on my own. I replaced the original power supply back in
> the case and hooked it up and now it has the same issue. I am not sure
> what the issue could be.
>
> HP dc5100 MT Pentium 4
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Josh

Most P4 boards have the 4 pin power connector near the CPU as well as the
main power connector... if that 4 pin connector is not hooked up it will not
boot.

Meat Plow

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 18:35:13 -0700, udz2002 wrote:

> All connections are solid, no visual damage -not sure what happened. I
> tried clearing the CMOS with no luck. I am not sure how to replace the
> BIOS. I think my machine may be dead.

Please disregard the posts from our 24hoursupport Village Idiot Dan C.

These things sometimes happen with no reason or rhyme. I updated the
power supply on my old PC built in 2005 to accommodate a new video card
and ended up with a dead motherboard. And having started out building OEM
computers in 1996 I took all the usual precautions. However not all was
lost, just the motherboard. And it was a time to upgrade to something
closer to recent technology. I reused the video card and hard drives/
optical drives. Sorry about your loss, it sucks I know. But like I said
these things do happen through no fault of your own.

hwf

udz2002 wrote:
> On Sep 23, 7:33 pm, Dan C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 21:47:06 +0100, ian field wrote:
>>> "richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:k5gtj7gpgwrd.1ikltgj9xdjjm$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> (E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Most MOBO manufactures reccomend only to flash the BIOS once you're sure
>>> everything else is ok.
>>> If you get a power outage half way through flashing the BIOS - the MOBO
>>> is toast.

>> Not true.
>>
>> Perhaps (maybe!) the BIOS EEPROM chip is toast, but *NOT* the entire
>> motherboard. A BIOS chip is simple to replace.
>>
>> Get a clue.
>>
>> --
>> "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
>> "Bother!" said Pooh, as he garotted another passing Liberal.
>> Usenet Improvement Project:http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
>> Thanks, Obama:http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/politica/thanks.jpg

> All connections are solid, no visual damage -not sure what happened. I
> tried clearing the CMOS with no luck. I am not sure how to replace the
> BIOS. I think my machine may be dead.

Check out the list of BIOS beep codes first for klews:
http://www.5starsupport.com/info/beep_codes.htm

HTH

BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:24:04 -0700 (PDT), udz2002 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I recently replaced my computer's power supply and now it beeps 9
>times, pauses for 2-3 seconds, then beeps another 9 times. It does
>this repeatedly 4 times. I checked the voltage and it is correct,
>cables are secure. The power supply is compatible with the system
>board. I went from a 300W to 500W power supply. HP's documentation
>says the 9 beeps means the computer has power but cannot boot, which I
>figured out on my own. I replaced the original power supply back in
>the case and hooked it up and now it has the same issue. I am not sure
>what the issue could be.
>
>HP dc5100 MT Pentium 4
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Josh

You may have cracked a solder connection on one of the pin headers
where the power supply connects to the Motherboard during the removal
and replacement sequence.

That would explian why putting the original power supply back in,
doesn't work either.

Mike Easter

udz2002 wrote:
> I recently replaced my computer's power supply

What was going on initially, before you replaced the PS, that caused you
to (think you should) replace the PS?

> I replaced the original power supply back in
> the case and hooked it up and now it has the same issue.

You said 'now' it has the same issue. Does that mean that before you
replaced and 'unreplaced' the PS that it had some *other* issue or
symptom or what is the full story of symptoms and troubleshooting
results before initial PS replacement?

--
Mike Easter

Buffalo

BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:24:04 -0700 (PDT), udz2002 <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> I recently replaced my computer's power supply and now it beeps 9
>> times, pauses for 2-3 seconds, then beeps another 9 times. It does
>> this repeatedly 4 times. I checked the voltage and it is correct,
>> cables are secure. The power supply is compatible with the system
>> board. I went from a 300W to 500W power supply. HP's documentation
>> says the 9 beeps means the computer has power but cannot boot, which
>> I figured out on my own. I replaced the original power supply back in
>> the case and hooked it up and now it has the same issue. I am not
>> sure what the issue could be.
>>
>> HP dc5100 MT Pentium 4
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Josh

> You may have cracked a solder connection on one of the pin headers
> where the power supply connects to the Motherboard during the removal
> and replacement sequence.
>
> That would explian why putting the original power supply back in,
> doesn't work either.

Sounds very logical to me also. Just flexing the mb by pulling and pushing
on the connector could cause a bad solder connection.
Buffalo
PS: Also, as Philo suggested, perhaps something else got bumped or
disconnected while exchanging the PSU.

philo

On 09/24/2010 10:03 AM, BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote:

Wow

Have not seen that handle in 5 or ten years