Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Tree

Reply
 
 
Uffe Kousgaard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2010
The Tree command from the very old DOS days is missing in win64. Does anyone
know of a replacement? Text output is desired.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lynn McGuire
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2010
> The Tree command from the very old DOS days is missing in win64. Does anyone
> know of a replacement? Text output is desired.


It is in Windows 7 x64:

[C:/dii/bench/dii]% which tree
C:/windows/system32/tree.com

C:\dii\bench>tree
Folder PATH listing for volume ok
Volume serial number is CC97-BE43
C:.
├───chm
├───dii
├───gui
└───guitest

Lynn
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Uffe Kousgaard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2010
"Lynn McGuire" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i7g4to$ftr$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>
> It is in Windows 7 x64:


But missing in xp64. I grabbed a copy from win2003/32 and it works OK here.

I thought it was a 16-bit application, since it was missing.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Lynn McGuire
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-23-2010
>> It is in Windows 7 x64:
>
> But missing in xp64. I grabbed a copy from win2003/32 and it works OK here.
>
> I thought it was a 16-bit application, since it was missing.


The critical thing missing from windows x64 is edit.com. That
has been unforgivable in my opinion.

Lynn

 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel-MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-24-2010
That codes is so old that it would take a complete re-write just to get it
up to 32-bit. I'm not surprised that it hasn't been ported. Though I
understand your desire for a good character mode text editor. My solution
has been Vim -- it fully supports 64-bit.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/Russel


"Lynn McGuire" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i7gbbv$f3j$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>> It is in Windows 7 x64:

>>
>> But missing in xp64. I grabbed a copy from win2003/32 and it works OK
>> here.
>>
>> I thought it was a 16-bit application, since it was missing.

>
> The critical thing missing from windows x64 is edit.com. That
> has been unforgivable in my opinion.
>
> Lynn
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel-MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-24-2010
This is one of many things that didn't make it into XP x64. Tree is,
however, available in Win7 64-bit. As both a 32-bit and 64-bit command.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/Russel


"Uffe Kousgaard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4c9b8c16$0$50447$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The Tree command from the very old DOS days is missing in win64. Does
> anyone know of a replacement? Text output is desired.
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-24-2010
TreeSize Free is a good little piece of freeware. Besides displaying the
tree, it has the advantage of showing hidden directories, that can be
manipulated.
Paul

"Uffe Kousgaard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4c9b8c16$0$50447$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The Tree command from the very old DOS days is missing in win64. Does
> anyone know of a replacement? Text output is desired.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Lynn McGuire
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-24-2010
> That codes is so old that it would take a complete re-write just to
> get it up to 32-bit. I'm not surprised that it hasn't been
> ported. Though I understand your desire for a good character mode
> text editor. My solution has been Vim -- it fully supports 64-bit.


Thanks for the suggestion but I just dont like vi very much and I
was a unix programmer for many years. I still use vi to maintain
our website and marvel at it's compactness.

Lynn

 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel-MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-25-2010
Vim (and its GUI brother, gVim) is a lot more powerful and friendly that
pure vi, though you can use it just as if it were vi. There are also ports
of emacs floating around you could use. But expecting a 16 bit program to
work is something we've already discussed several times. Run it in XPMode,
or find a new one.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/Russel


"Lynn McGuire" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i7iiuj$1lq$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> That codes is so old that it would take a complete re-write just to
> > get it up to 32-bit. I'm not surprised that it hasn't been
>> ported. Though I understand your desire for a good character mode
> > text editor. My solution has been Vim -- it fully supports 64-bit.

>
> Thanks for the suggestion but I just dont like vi very much and I
> was a unix programmer for many years. I still use vi to maintain
> our website and marvel at it's compactness.
>
> Lynn
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
B+ Tree versus Ternary Search Tree Ramkumar Menon Java 2 08-16-2005 08:13 PM
B+ Tree versus Ternary Search Tree Ramkumar Menon Java 1 08-16-2005 09:46 AM
B+ Tree versus Ternary Search Tree Ramkumar Menon Java 0 08-16-2005 09:01 AM
B tree, B+ tree and B* tree Stub C Programming 3 11-12-2003 01:51 PM
Spanning Tree And Per Vlan Spanning Tree Amy L. Cisco 0 07-24-2003 10:01 PM



Advertisments