Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Latest scam - a warning

Latest scam - a warning

Ragnar

I had a call from 'John Smit' (he couldn't even pronounce his own alleged
surname!) from 'Windows Support Services Department'. He said that they had
detected a lot of error messages coming from my computer, implying that they
were viruses or malware of some unspecified sort.

He wanted me to go to the computer and he would help me look for the files
responsible but I wasn't buying it and said I did not believe him, at which
he hung up.

Suprisingly his number was not withheld. If you want to contact him try
0425 9982 750 (I am in the UK).

I Googled for similar experiences and found that some people had paid for
their expensive file-cleaning service (185 UK) and been fleeced. Apparently
they start by telling you to run Event Viewer and then expressing alarm at
the huge number of Errors or Warnings.

Afterwards I thought - hang on, how did 'John Smit' know my phone number? NO
ONE whom I have ever contacted via email or internet has that information.

I am used to email / internet scams but this is the first time on the
telephone AFAIK.

Be watchful!
R.

housetrained

Man walks into an off-licence booted and suited. He asks for a cheap bottle
of vodka, pays and leaves. Within seconds he is back saying it's no good his
wife insists on the best. The proprietor swaps over the bottles and charges
him the difference. A few days later a regular customer comes into the shop
complaining that the bottle of vodka he bought yesterday was just water.
Shopkeepers beware!
--
John the West Ham fan

<><

"Ragnar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O1Kmo.31903$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> I had a call from 'John Smit' (he couldn't even pronounce his own alleged
> surname!) from 'Windows Support Services Department'. He said that they
> had detected a lot of error messages coming from my computer, implying
> that they were viruses or malware of some unspecified sort.
>
> He wanted me to go to the computer and he would help me look for the files
> responsible but I wasn't buying it and said I did not believe him, at
> which he hung up.
>
> Suprisingly his number was not withheld. If you want to contact him try
> 0425 9982 750 (I am in the UK).
>
> I Googled for similar experiences and found that some people had paid for
> their expensive file-cleaning service (185 UK) and been fleeced.
> Apparently they start by telling you to run Event Viewer and then
> expressing alarm at the huge number of Errors or Warnings.
>
> Afterwards I thought - hang on, how did 'John Smit' know my phone number?
> NO ONE whom I have ever contacted via email or internet has that
> information.
>
> I am used to email / internet scams but this is the first time on the
> telephone AFAIK.
>
> Be watchful!
> R.

Jeff Strickland

"Ragnar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O1Kmo.31903$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>I had a call from 'John Smit' (he couldn't even pronounce his own alleged
>surname!) from 'Windows Support Services Department'. He said that they
>had detected a lot of error messages coming from my computer, implying that
>they were viruses or malware of some unspecified sort.

NOBODY WILL EVER report to you that you have a problem that they will fix.

Well, that's not entirely true, scammers will do that but nobody of any
repute will do it.

Baron

Ragnar Inscribed thus:

> I had a call from 'John Smit' (he couldn't even pronounce his own
> alleged
> surname!) from 'Windows Support Services Department'. He said that
> they had detected a lot of error messages coming from my computer,
> implying that they were viruses or malware of some unspecified sort.
>
> He wanted me to go to the computer and he would help me look for the
> files responsible but I wasn't buying it and said I did not believe
> him, at which he hung up.
>
> Suprisingly his number was not withheld. If you want to contact him
> try 0425 9982 750 (I am in the UK).
>
> I Googled for similar experiences and found that some people had paid
> for their expensive file-cleaning service (185 UK) and been fleeced.
> Apparently they start by telling you to run Event Viewer and then
> expressing alarm at the huge number of Errors or Warnings.
>
> Afterwards I thought - hang on, how did 'John Smit' know my phone
> number? NO ONE whom I have ever contacted via email or internet has
> that information.
>
> I am used to email / internet scams but this is the first time on the
> telephone AFAIK.
>
> Be watchful!
> R.

Agreed ! I've had some of my clients scammed like that.
They actually don't know what OS you are running. One of my clients
said it was quite amusing when he got a call. He played along until
the guy on the phone realised he didn't use M$. He reckons that they
got his info from "Facebook".

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Baron

Jon Vincent Inscribed thus:

> On 9/23/2010 10:06 AM, Ragnar wrote:
>> I had a call from 'John Smit' (he couldn't even pronounce his own
>> alleged
>> surname!) from 'Windows Support Services Department'. He said that
>> they had detected a lot of error messages coming from my computer,
>> implying that they were viruses or malware of some unspecified sort.
>>
>> He wanted me to go to the computer and he would help me look for the
>> files responsible but I wasn't buying it and said I did not believe
>> him, at which he hung up.
>>
>> Suprisingly his number was not withheld. If you want to contact him
>> try 0425 9982 750 (I am in the UK).
>>
>> I Googled for similar experiences and found that some people had paid
>> for their expensive file-cleaning service (£185 UK) and been fleeced.
>> Apparently they start by telling you to run Event Viewer and then
>> expressing alarm at the huge number of Errors or Warnings.
>>
>> Afterwards I thought - hang on, how did 'John Smit' know my phone
>> number? NO ONE whom I have ever contacted via email or internet has
>> that information.
>>
>> I am used to email / internet scams but this is the first time on the
>> telephone AFAIK.
>>
>> Be watchful!
>> R.
>>

> "Windows Support Services Department"? I got that same call. 5 Minutes
> after getting the call, I had the guy's address, and the exact person
> he was. I don't remember the name, but he will be behind bars soon.
>
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: (E-Mail Removed) ---

Popular scam ! I've had about half a dozen clients report getting the
same call. One had her credit card maxed.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.