Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: task bar suddenly twice as high

Re: task bar suddenly twice as high

Mike Easter

Ben Myers wrote:
> "Lookout"

>> I guess I dragged it up but now I can't get it back where it was.
>> I have tried unclicking Quick Launch but that does no good. It does
>> solve the problem for the time..the 6 icons next to the clock are now
>> on one line. As soon as I enable it again it gets twice as thick again
>> and the 6 icons divide into 3 on top and 3 on the bottom.
>> I've looked on Google but I guess I'm not wording it right.
>> Thanks for any help you can give.
>> (No..I'm not interested in installing a new program or a new OS)

> Drag one of the dotted vertical sizing handles from the bottom row
> to the top row. Then try resizing.

Good description.

What /he/ said.

That 'vertical' sizing handle that I was describing as 'vertical dots'
actually looks like a zipper using the magnifier. You can't see it when
the taskbar is locked.

In doublewidth, the quicklaunch toolbar can be seen to have both a right
and left zipper (sizing handle), because there is one between Start and
QuickLaunch and one to the right of QuickLaunch.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Lookout wrote:
> Mike Easter

>> That 'vertical' sizing handle that I was describing as 'vertical dots'
>> actually looks like a zipper using the magnifier. You can't see it when
>> the taskbar is locked.

> There ARE NO VERTICAL DOTS when the Task Bar is UNLOCKED.

>> In doublewidth, the quicklaunch toolbar can be seen to have both a right
>> and left zipper (sizing handle), because there is one between Start and
>> QuickLaunch and one to the right of QuickLaunch.

> NO. They are NOT there.

Perhaps the appearance is affected by your Display/ Theme condition; CP/
Display/ Themes tab/ Themes menu - Windows XP (or other)

In Windows classic theme they don't look like a zipper at all and there
is more contrast in the 'line' appearance. In Windows XP theme (or XP
theme modified) the vertical 'zippers' are the same color as the
taskbar, so there is no contrast, more like a texture effect.

If you can't see the sizing handles, you are going to have a hard time
grabbing and moving them.

What color is your taskbar?

--
Mike Easter

John Holmes

Lookout "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 09:29:08 -0700, Mike Easter <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Lookout wrote:
>>> Mike Easter

>>> There ARE NO VERTICAL DOTS when the Task Bar is UNLOCKED.

>>> NO. They are NOT there.

>>Perhaps the appearance is affected by your Display/ Theme condition;
>>CP/ Display/ Themes tab/ Themes menu - Windows XP (or other)

> None of that changed. I saw myself drag it up by mistake. The lines
> WERE there before. I've made no changes to my theme.
>>
>>In Windows classic theme they don't look like a zipper at all and
>>there is more contrast in the 'line' appearance. In Windows XP theme
>>(or XP theme modified) the vertical 'zippers' are the same color as
>>the taskbar, so there is no contrast, more like a texture effect.

> They AREN'T there (the zipper\dotted lines) All that's there is a
> SOLID vertical line WHEN A PROGRAM IS OPEN. Otherwise there is only
> one line..with the Start button on the left and the 6 icons in the
> Notification Area are on ONE LINE.
>>If you can't see the sizing handles, you are going to have a hard time
>>grabbing and moving them.

> As I said when I grab the handles (the SOLID lines) the two groups (QL
> and program\s) CHANGE order..one on top and the other on bottom. They
> will NOT align side by side.
>>
>>What color is your taskbar?

> Gray
>
> I know I'm doing ONE little thing wrong...I just can't figure out what
> it is. I've never seen this problem before.

Well, poast a link to a screenshot then. That way we would know what you
mean exactly.

--
<snip>