Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Adobe Outlook

Adobe Outlook

Sweetpea

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 22:58:37 -0700, Simon wrote:

> On Sep 26, 12:03¬*pm, Sweetpea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > Features that even our graphic artists don't need. That's why we're
>> > sticking with CS3 and actively looking for alternatives.

>> Why would you need to look for alternatives when what you have is
>> satisfactory?

> I never said it was satisfactory - We've got CS3, but need some
> additional features, but the latest CS exceeds out requirements and
> budget, so we're looking at alternatives.

"Need" or "want"?

Given how very good CS3 is (not to mention all versions of Photoshop
since PS7) I find it difficult to believe you "need" something else.

Simon

On Sep 26, 10:15*pm, Sweetpea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 22:58:37 -0700, Simon wrote:

> >> Why would you need to look for alternatives when what you have is
> >> satisfactory?

> > I never said it was satisfactory - We've got CS3, but need some
> > additional features, but the latest CS exceeds out requirements and
> > budget, so we're looking at alternatives.

> "Need" or "want"?
>
> Given how very good CS3 is (not to mention all versions of Photoshop
> since PS7) I find it difficult to believe you "need" something else.

Of course you'd find it difficult to believe when you jump to a
conclusion like that without any knowledge of what we're using it for.

Simon

On Sep 27, 1:36*pm, Simon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sep 26, 10:15*pm, Sweetpea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > I never said it was satisfactory - We've got CS3, but need some
> > > additional features, but the latest CS exceeds out requirements and
> > > budget, so we're looking at alternatives.

> > "Need" or "want"?

> > Given how very good CS3 is (not to mention all versions of Photoshop
> > since PS7) I find it difficult to believe you "need" something else.

> Of course you'd find it difficult to believe when you jump to a
> conclusion like that without any knowledge of what we're using it for.

I'm confusing your nick with a person on another forum whose bothering
me - sorry!

basically there are some effects that the graphic designers need to
use for a client, that are only supported in the new version. In
addition to this, there are some features that makes life easier for
Flash development.

In the long-term, I'm hopeful that a number of our projects can be
completed cost-effectively using HTML 5, but in the mean time we will
have to continue as is

Sweetpea

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 17:36:05 -0700, Simon wrote:

>> > I never said it was satisfactory - We've got CS3, but need some
>> > additional features, but the latest CS exceeds out requirements and
>> > budget, so we're looking at alternatives.

>> "Need" or "want"?
>>
>> Given how very good CS3 is (not to mention all versions of Photoshop
>> since PS7) I find it difficult to believe you "need" something else.

> Of course you'd find it difficult to believe when you jump to a
> conclusion like that without any knowledge of what we're using it for.

I'm not jumping to any conclusions. I'm simply asking why you need a
newer version because I can't see why anyone "needs" an upgrade from CS3.

Sweetpea

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 18:53:45 -0700, Simon wrote:

> On Sep 27, 1:36¬*pm, Simon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > "Need" or "want"?

>> > Given how very good CS3 is (not to mention all versions of Photoshop
>> > since PS7) I find it difficult to believe you "need" something else.

>> Of course you'd find it difficult to believe when you jump to a
>> conclusion like that without any knowledge of what we're using it for.

> I'm confusing your nick with a person on another forum whose bothering
> me - sorry!
>
> basically there are some effects that the graphic designers need to use
> for a client, that are only supported in the new version. In addition to
> this, there are some features that makes life easier for Flash
> development.
>
> In the long-term, I'm hopeful that a number of our projects can be
> completed cost-effectively using HTML 5, but in the mean time we will
> have to continue as is

[shudder] "Flash development".

Can't one manually code for those special effects?

Is it really that important that they be automated?

Enkidu

On 27/09/10 20:30, Sweetpea wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 18:53:45 -0700, Simon wrote:

>>> Of course you'd find it difficult to believe when you jump to a
>>> conclusion like that without any knowledge of what we're using it for.

>> I'm confusing your nick with a person on another forum whose bothering
>> me - sorry!
>>
>> basically there are some effects that the graphic designers need to use
>> for a client, that are only supported in the new version. In addition to
>> this, there are some features that makes life easier for Flash
>> development.
>>
>> In the long-term, I'm hopeful that a number of our projects can be
>> completed cost-effectively using HTML 5, but in the mean time we will
>> have to continue as is

> [shudder] "Flash development".
>
> Can't one manually code for those special effects?

Yes,

> Is it really that important that they be automated?

It's much faster than hand coding.

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> "Need" or "want"?
>>> Given how very good CS3 is (not to mention all versions of Photoshop
>>> since PS7) I find it difficult to believe you "need" something else.

>> Of course you'd find it difficult to believe when you jump to a
>> conclusion like that without any knowledge of what we're using it for.

>I'm not jumping to any conclusions. I'm simply asking why you need a
>newer version because I can't see why anyone "needs" an upgrade from CS3.

Just cos you don't see it doesn't mean it aint there.

Sweetpea

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 09:14:53 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

> On 27/09/10 20:30, Sweetpea wrote:

>>> I'm confusing your nick with a person on another forum whose bothering
>>> me - sorry!
>>>
>>> basically there are some effects that the graphic designers need to
>>> use for a client, that are only supported in the new version. In
>>> addition to this, there are some features that makes life easier for
>>> Flash development.
>>>
>>> In the long-term, I'm hopeful that a number of our projects can be
>>> completed cost-effectively using HTML 5, but in the mean time we will
>>> have to continue as is

>> [shudder] "Flash development".
>>
>> Can't one manually code for those special effects?
>>

> Yes,
> >
>> Is it really that important that they be automated?
>>

> It's much faster than hand coding.

Have you heard of code once, use multiple times with copy/paste?

Sweetpea

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 23:02:35 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

>>I'm not jumping to any conclusions. I'm simply asking why you need a
>>newer version because I can't see why anyone "needs" an upgrade from
>>CS3.

> Just cos you don't see it doesn't mean it aint there.

How does that answer the question?

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sweetpea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 23:02:35 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>
>>>I'm not jumping to any conclusions. I'm simply asking why you need a
>>>newer version because I can't see why anyone "needs" an upgrade from
>>>CS3.

>> Just cos you don't see it doesn't mean it aint there.

>How does that answer the question?

It doesn't ... but your *assumption* (earlier) that no one "needs" something
that you can't see a reason for is unreasonable. Asking what they do need is
fine (asking for data) ... but your assumptions have been showing ... and
they are still wrong.