Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Adobe Outlook

Adobe Outlook

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

I thought they had a good third quarter, but it looks like sales of CS5 are
flattening off much earlier than expected—just two quarters and all the
“pent-up demand” is gone
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/adobe-can-it-wean-itself-off-the-creative-suite-dependence/39473>.
And that is putting over half the company’s revenue in doubt.

Sweetpea

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:58:45 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> I thought they had a good third quarter, but it looks like sales of CS5
> are flattening off much earlier than expected—just two quarters and all
> the “pent-up demand” is gone
> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/adobe-...tself-off-the-

creative-suite-dependence/39473>.
> And that is putting over half the company’s revenue in doubt.

The problem is it is a very expensive suite, and maybe 5 or 6 versions
ago most of the applications in the suite got to the point where they
were good enough for most things.

There isn't really any actual need for most people to upgrade.

If Adobe wants people to upgrade then they need to either reduce the
price they're extorting, or introduce incompatibilities between each
successive versions of the applications.

The second option would cause people to NOT purchase a new version unless
it is a spectacularly significant improvement over the previous version,
and given that it is now a very mature suite I really don't see that
happening anytime soon.

Simon

On Sep 23, 9:07*pm, Sweetpea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If Adobe wants people to upgrade then they need to either reduce the
> price they're extorting, or introduce incompatibilities between each
> successive versions of the applications.

One way in which they're trying to encourage purchasing new versions
of their product, is by ensuring that you can only be 1 to 2 versions
behind the current in order to qualify for upgrades.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Simon
wrote:

> One way in which they're trying to encourage purchasing new versions
> of their product, is by ensuring that you can only be 1 to 2 versions
> behind the current in order to qualify for upgrades.

That is probably backfiring, now that people are perfectly content to remain
with an old version like CS2.

Sweetpea

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 17:49:59 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Simon wrote:
>
>> One way in which they're trying to encourage purchasing new versions of
>> their product, is by ensuring that you can only be 1 to 2 versions
>> behind the current in order to qualify for upgrades.

> That is probably backfiring, now that people are perfectly content to
> remain with an old version like CS2.

Or even Photoshop7!

Simon

On Sep 24, 5:49*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message
> <(E-Mail Removed)>, Simon
> wrote:
>
> > One way in which they're trying to encourage purchasing new versions
> > of their product, is by ensuring that you can only be 1 to 2 versions
> > behind the current in order to qualify for upgrades.

> That is probably backfiring, now that people are perfectly content to remain
> with an old version like CS2.

It certainly hasn't worked with us. I think that they'll only end up
either shifting users to a competitors product, or perhaps moving them
(eventually) to an OS product with the features they require.

Simon

On Sep 25, 2:04*pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> LOL. Adobe has no real competition when it comes to product quality and
> features.

Features that even our graphic artists don't need. That's why we're
sticking with CS3 and actively looking for alternatives.

Sweetpea

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 14:33:00 -0700, Simon wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2:04*pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> LOL. Adobe has no real competition when it comes to product quality and
>> features.

> Features that even our graphic artists don't need. That's why we're
> sticking with CS3 and actively looking for alternatives.

Why would you need to look for alternatives when what you have is
satisfactory?

Simon

On Sep 26, 12:03*pm, Sweetpea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 14:33:00 -0700, Simon wrote:
> > On Sep 25, 2:04*pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> LOL. Adobe has no real competition when it comes to product quality and
> >> features.

> > Features that even our graphic artists don't need. That's why we're
> > sticking with CS3 and actively looking for alternatives.

> Why would you need to look for alternatives when what you have is
> satisfactory?

I never said it was satisfactory - We've got CS3, but need some
additional features, but the latest CS exceeds out requirements and
budget, so we're looking at alternatives.

Simon

On Sep 26, 11:21*am, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> CS3 is an excellent product. But unless you want to handcuff your graphic
> artists, *the only alternatives are CS4 and CS5.

We're not in a hurry, so we can afford to keep an open mind on what
products we use.