Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > If I Buy Something, Do I Own It?

If I Buy Something, Do I Own It?

Simon

On Sep 23, 4:15*pm, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 23/09/2010 3:07 p.m., Simon wrote:

> >> Why can't they all just get along ? Apple are being dicks again.
> >> Perhaps replace the DC connector on the power pack with an aircraft
> >> "EmPower" or lighter socket connector to mate with the Apple MagSafe
> >> Airline Adapter.http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB441Z/A
> >> Victor is a problem solver.

> > Putting aside the ideological argument over patents for a second, it
> > should be pointed out that other manufactures of similar products are
> > paying Apple a licence fee for using their patented connected, so I
> > can understand why Apple are wanting to protect their patent revenue
> > stream.

> > Presumably this company knew what was required of them, yet ignored it
> > anyway? Perhaps they're taking a stance on patents and hoping that the
> > publicity might advance their cause? Who knows.

> The ipod dock connector to USB cables can be purchased separately by
> anyone, so they aren't an issue
> They aren't licensing any products with the Magsafe connector, so
> presumably the powerpack company are buying the airline adapter kit and
> re-terminating them.
> I hope the court tells Apple to **** off, its clearly anti-competitive.
> Apple laptop power supplies are no different to any others apart from
> the fly-lead and connector.
> Apart from the inevitable Jonathan Ives soap bar makeover.

The article states "Apple offers licenses for its 30-pin connector so
that accessory makers can sell products to go with Apple's iDevices,"
which Sanho does not have license to sell", so they *might* have a
case there, although I suspect it will be tenuous given the doctrine
of first sale. This presumably would apply equally to the Magsafe
connector.

Either way, this is just typical of the behavior of Apple.

victor

On 24/09/2010 8:10 a.m., Simon wrote:
> On Sep 23, 4:15 pm, victor<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Putting aside the ideological argument over patents for a second, it
>>> should be pointed out that other manufactures of similar products are
>>> paying Apple a licence fee for using their patented connected, so I
>>> can understand why Apple are wanting to protect their patent revenue
>>> stream.

>>> Presumably this company knew what was required of them, yet ignored it
>>> anyway? Perhaps they're taking a stance on patents and hoping that the
>>> publicity might advance their cause? Who knows.

>> The ipod dock connector to USB cables can be purchased separately by
>> anyone, so they aren't an issue
>> They aren't licensing any products with the Magsafe connector, so
>> presumably the powerpack company are buying the airline adapter kit and
>> re-terminating them.
>> I hope the court tells Apple to **** off, its clearly anti-competitive.
>> Apple laptop power supplies are no different to any others apart from
>> the fly-lead and connector.
>> Apart from the inevitable Jonathan Ives soap bar makeover.

> The article states "Apple offers licenses for its 30-pin connector so
> that accessory makers can sell products to go with Apple's iDevices,"
> which Sanho does not have license to sell", so they *might* have a
> case there, although I suspect it will be tenuous given the doctrine
> of first sale. This presumably would apply equally to the Magsafe
> connector.
>
> Either way, this is just typical of the behavior of Apple.

*******s, no one needs a license to simply sell an ipod lead.
The license is for manufacturing.

--
"I'm completely operational, and all my circuits are functioning perfectly."

Simon

On Sep 24, 5:13*pm, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> *******s, no one needs a license to simply sell an ipod lead.
> The license is for manufacturing.

Really? Perhaps you should have a talk to companies selling Apple
products in NZ.

victor

On 25/09/2010 12:43 p.m., Simon wrote:
> On Sep 24, 5:13 pm, victor<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> *******s, no one needs a license to simply sell an ipod lead.
>> The license is for manufacturing.

> Really? Perhaps you should have a talk to companies selling Apple
> products in NZ.

Pseudo legal *******s
A USB to ipod dock cable doesn't have to be an Apple product.
Many retailers sell ipod accessories, they do not need a license to sell
them.

Richard

On 25/09/2010 12:43 p.m., Simon wrote:
> On Sep 24, 5:13 pm, victor<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> *******s, no one needs a license to simply sell an ipod lead.
>> The license is for manufacturing.

> Really? Perhaps you should have a talk to companies selling Apple
> products in NZ.

License is needed to use the apple name and made for ipod trademarks.

There is nothing legally protected in the cable itself.

That is why they put the chips in the TV out cables to give them some
legal way to make manufactiurers pay to be able to sell them.

Simon

On Sep 25, 5:06*pm, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> There is nothing legally protected in the cable itself.

According to Apple, apparently the connector is.

Simon

On Sep 25, 3:02*pm, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Pseudo legal *******s
> A USB to ipod dock cable doesn't have to be an Apple product.
> Many retailers sell ipod accessories, they do not need a license to sell
> them.

As per bellow, according to Apple it does.