Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Stallman Crashes Patent Session

Stallman Crashes Patent Session

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Richard Stallman holds up protest placards at a presentation on patents at
the World Computing Congress in Australia
<http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/stallman-crashes-computing-conference-patent-session>.

I may not always agree with him, but this is one of those cases where he
shows how important he is.

peterwn

On Sep 22, 1:38*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> Richard Stallman holds up protest placards at a presentation on patents at
> the World Computing Congress in Australia
> <http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/stallman-crashes-computing-c...>.
>
> I may not always agree with him, but this is one of those cases where he
> shows how important he is.

Which begs the question as to why a EU bureaucrat is advocating
software patents when the European Parliament has made its opposition
known on the matter.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, peterwn
wrote:

> Which begs the question as to why a EU bureaucrat is advocating
> software patents when the European Parliament has made its opposition
> known on the matter.

The EC and the European Parliament have been tussling over this for a long
time, with EC continually trying to reinterpret the Parliament’s directions
in more software-patent-friendly ways.

peterwn

On Sep 22, 3:21*pm, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It may "raise" the question, but it doesn't "beg" it.
>
> While I admire Stallman's tenacity on wanting software to be "free", I
> consider it *much* more important for people to be free first.

Yes, free from Patent tyrany.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar wrote:

> peterwn wrote:
>
>> On Sep 22, 3:21 pm, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> It may "raise" the question, but it doesn't "beg" it.
>>>
>>> While I admire Stallman's tenacity on wanting software to be "free", I
>>> consider it *much* more important for people to be free first.

>> Yes, free from Patent tyrany.

> Free from ALL tyranny.

Not really Stallman’s shtick.

Gib Bogle

Allistar wrote:
> peterwn wrote:
>
>> On Sep 22, 3:21 pm, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> It may "raise" the question, but it doesn't "beg" it.
>>>
>>> While I admire Stallman's tenacity on wanting software to be "free", I
>>> consider it *much* more important for people to be free first.

>> Yes, free from Patent tyrany.

> Free from ALL tyranny.

Even mothers-in-law??

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <i7c2m9$oh6$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gib Bogle wrote:

> Allistar wrote:
>>
>> Free from ALL tyranny.

> Even mothers-in-law??

He said “tyranny”, not “Tyrannosaurus Rex”.

Sweetpea

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 19:25:31 -0700, peterwn wrote:

> On Sep 22, 1:38*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>> Richard Stallman holds up protest placards at a presentation on patents
>> at the World Computing Congress in Australia
>> <http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...hes-computing-

c...>.

>> I may not always agree with him, but this is one of those cases where
>> he shows how important he is.

> Which begs the question as to why a EU bureaucrat is advocating software
> patents when the European Parliament has made its opposition known on
> the matter.

Because that EU civil servant is in Microsoft's pocket?

Sweetpea

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 07:36:16 +1200, whoisthis wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Sweetpea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 19:25:31 -0700, peterwn wrote:

computing-
>> c...>.

>> > Which begs the question as to why a EU bureaucrat is advocating
>> > software patents when the European Parliament has made its opposition
>> > known on the matter.

>> Because that EU civil servant is in Microsoft's pocket?

> OR, because people are entitled to their opinions and beliefs and are
> allowed to express them.

A civil servant is not entitled to their own opinion when performing
their job - they must comply with the law, regulations, and any
ministerial directives that have been issued.

Sweetpea

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 21:24:00 +1200, whoisthis wrote:

>> A civil servant is not entitled to their own opinion when performing
>> their job - they must comply with the law, regulations, and any
>> ministerial directives that have been issued.

> Incorrect, civil servants who are looking at policy etc etc have their
> opinions all of the time.

A civil servant who is a policy analyst is unique in the Civil Service.
The majority - the vast majority - are not employed to have an opinion.
They are employed to administer the law, regulations, and any ministerial
directives that have been issued.