Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: WORD printing help!

Re: WORD printing help!

Jeff Strickland

You need to tell Word that you are printing onto envelopes.

The envelope(s) is(are) inserted into the printer in a specific manner,
which might not be the manner you are trying to use. The paper guides on the
printer should tell you where the envelop must be placed, and you have to
put them there no matter where you think you would rather have them be. My
copy of Word has an Envelope and Label selection under TOOLS>LETTERS AND
MAILINGS>ENVELOPE AND LABEL that puts the address in the right place.

Frankly, unless you are printing onesies and twosies of envelopes, printing
Address Labels is far easier and more reliable.

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) net...
> This is what i want to do: print mailto info in appropiate place on a
> standard #10 envelope, where the envelope is placed in the printer long
> way up, AND to the right of the paper input bin.
> At one point in the dim past, i got that to work (do NOT ask me how)
> but i had to re-type each and every new recipient name addr etc, so i
> "got fancy" and changed it for mail merge operation.
> Well, the mail-merge works, BUT the placement of print is totally out
> of whack. This is seen by using 8.5x11 paper in the printer and noting
> the image is A) to the left of that paper, and B) up 4 inches from the
> bottom, and _not_ the 2.5 inches "programmed" in the print setup.
> Now, no matter what i do, the result is wrong and i have no clue as
> to how to fix it; i even tried lying about dimensions, landscape VS
> portrait, etc to no avail.
> Help??

Jeff Strickland

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) net...
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>> You need to tell Word that you are printing onto envelopes.
>>
>> The envelope(s) is(are) inserted into the printer in a specific manner,
>> which might not be the manner you are trying to use. The paper guides on
>> the printer should tell you where the envelop must be placed, and you
>> have to put them there no matter where you think you would rather have
>> them be. My copy of Word has an Envelope and Label selection under
>> TOOLS>LETTERS AND MAILINGS>ENVELOPE AND LABEL that puts the address in
>> the right place.
>>
>> Frankly, unless you are printing onesies and twosies of envelopes,
>> printing Address Labels is far easier and more reliable.
>>

>> "Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) net...
>>> This is what i want to do: print mailto info in appropiate place on a
>>> standard #10 envelope, where the envelope is placed in the printer long
>>> way up, AND to the right of the paper input bin.
>>> At one point in the dim past, i got that to work (do NOT ask me how)
>>> but i had to re-type each and every new recipient name addr etc, so i
>>> "got fancy" and changed it for mail merge operation.
>>> Well, the mail-merge works, BUT the placement of print is totally out
>>> of whack. This is seen by using 8.5x11 paper in the printer and noting
>>> the image is A) to the left of that paper, and B) up 4 inches from the
>>> bottom, and _not_ the 2.5 inches "programmed" in the print setup.
>>> Now, no matter what i do, the result is wrong and i have no clue as
>>> to how to fix it; i even tried lying about dimensions, landscape VS
>>> portrait, etc to no avail.
>>> Help??

> Well, there is an option (i think under tools) that has an option for
> envelopes / labels, BUT..
> Unlike labels selection, the envelope selection ADDs, giving TWO pages -
> and there aint no sech thing as a two-page envelope, so i tossed that
> option as not viable.
> And i do see the various options as to how the envelope gets inserted.
>
> The printer does not have an eXplicit guide for envelopes, just images
> showing to put paper in to the right and envelopes to the right broadwise
> flap visible (which is not right as printing would be on the BACK of the
> envelope).
>
> And printing on a strip of labels would not work because the printer
> ASS-u-MEs 11 inch paper, producing unwanted page feeds.
> Wors cas i can go back to my Panasonic pinfeed dot matrix printer, but
> the bubblejet produces a VERY nice image.
> **
> Presuming i add envelope, what do i do to cheat the TWO pages - delete
> first page or the second page?

Envelope printing prints on one envelope at a time. You have to tell Word
what size the envelope is, but I assume you know this already.

If you want to print onto a standard business envelope, which is called a
No. 10, but Word OR the printer think that you are printing onto a 9x12
envelope, then the results will be unexpected and undesirable.

If you wanted to print mailing labels, then the sheet would be 8.5x11, and
would contain either 30 or 33 labels, and you would set up the first label
by drawing from a database and assigning fields to where you want the data
to be printed, and the remaining labels would be populated with the
successive records. Envelopes can be done the same way, but feeding
envelopes into the kinds of printers that most people would have at home is
problematic and tedious. The envelope printers that actually print onto
envelopes are expensive, and if you had one of these you would not be here
asking how to use it, so I can assume you don't have one.

All printers have a guide that you align the paper to. You can find this
guide by operating the adjustable plate in the tray where you load paper.
The paper will have a fixed-position guide on one side, and a moveable guide
on the other. Align the envelopes to the fixed-side of the tray. There
should be a bypass where you can insert single sheets or envelopes. Some
machines will take the envelope centered in the bypass, if this is the case
with your printer, then both of the paper guides will be adjusted in tandem
so that the centerline of the machine becomes the guide line. The printer
driver knows this and will adjust the print position for the selected
envelope dimensions.

You can easily learn how to orientate the envelopes by putting a standard
sheet of paper into the bypass and printing a test page to wee what side the
image comes out on. Then put the envelope in so that the image prints on the
side opposite the flap.

The envelope selection in the TOOLS menu gives you the options to fill in
the print data manually or from a database, and another page lets you put in
a return address.