Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: "Sounds" has been posted!

Re: "Sounds" has been posted!

Vance

On Sep 20, 10:20*am, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The latest Shootin gallery has been posted, and is available for
> viewing
>
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/seasonal_sounds
>
> For newcomers: the shootin is a monthly (sort of) excercise where a
> mandate is published, and willing participants will shoot pictures to
> suit the mandate. There is no prize since this is not a competition.
> It's just for fun. More info here:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage
>
> Watch for posts with "[SI]" in the subject. If you don't want to see
> posts related to the shootin, simply filter any posts with [SI].
>
> New mandate(s) will follow this week, after the Tuesday meeting of the
> Shootin Advisory Team Board Comittee Group Assembly.

Nice stuff all around, but three stand out for me. Not in any order
of preference:

Tim Conway: Nice colors, composition and it evokes a clear feeling.

Bowser 3 - Nice composition with the body positions and activity
mirroring each other. I would prefer a tighter crop, but why quibble.

Tony Cooper: Atwater Kent - Texture, graphics, nice complimentary
color contrast between the diaphram and grill and a pickup of
analogous color in the background all work nicely. The line of the
rotting grill cloth following the rim and echoed in the curves of the
grill itself is tasty and the material poking through the grill is a
nice accent. It has a nice dynamic and gritty feel to it.

As always, the 'Shoot In' is worth viewing.

Vance

tony cooper

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:04:11 -0700 (PDT), Vance <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Tony Cooper: Atwater Kent - Texture, graphics, nice complimentary
>color contrast between the diaphram and grill and a pickup of
>analogous color in the background all work nicely. The line of the
>rotting grill cloth following the rim and echoed in the curves of the
>grill itself is tasty and the material poking through the grill is a
>nice accent. It has a nice dynamic and gritty feel to it.

Thank you but I need to "come clean". This is the original photo:

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...0_e93eF-XL.jpg

And this is the Photoshopped version I did for the Shoot-In:

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...8_DAnpw-XL.jpg

The black speaker paper was torn out of quite a bit of the back, so I
made a selection of the good section and put it behind the original on
three different layers and did some layer mask work to fill in the
voids. I had to tweak each section a bit in contrast and brightness
so it wouldn't be too apparent that the same section was used. Then I
did some cloning touch-up.

I didn't like the original background so I dropped it out completely
in another layer masking effort. (I love my graphics tablet!) I keep
a file of different backgrounds (brick, blocks, stone, stucco, and
various wood grains), and used this one because I thought it looked
realistic for the image. That's a section of white painted plywood
with some mildew spots that has been color changed a bit and blurred a
little.

Whenever I'm out with my camera I keep an eye out for interesting
textures for this purpose. The other day I was out and saw a old barn
with weathered wood plank siding and took some shots landscape and
portrait for the file. I also got a brick wall with some good ivy
growth. There are stock textures backgrounds on the web, but they
don't look realistic to me.

Now go ahead...you can tell me you could tell it had been
Photoshopped.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Vance

On Sep 20, 10:03*pm, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:04:11 -0700 (PDT), Vance <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Tony Cooper: *Atwater Kent - Texture, graphics, nice complimentary
> >color contrast between the diaphram and grill and a pickup of
> >analogous color in the background all work nicely. *The line of the
> >rotting grill cloth following the rim and echoed in the curves of the
> >grill itself is tasty and the material poking through the grill is a
> >nice accent. *It has a nice dynamic and gritty feel to it.

> Thank you but I need to "come clean". *This is the original photo:
>
> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...3641520_e93eF-...
>
> And this is the Photoshopped version I did for the Shoot-In:
>
> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...-Atwater-Kent-...
>
> The black speaker paper was torn out of quite a bit of the back, so I
> made a selection of the good section and put it behind the original on
> three different layers and did some layer mask work to fill in the
> voids. *I had to tweak each section a bit in contrast and brightness
> so it wouldn't be too apparent that the same section was used. *Then I
> did some cloning touch-up. * *
>
> I didn't like the original background so I dropped it out completely
> in another layer masking effort. *(I love my graphics tablet!) *I keep
> a file of different backgrounds (brick, blocks, stone, stucco, and
> various wood grains), and used this one because I thought it looked
> realistic for the image. *That's a section of white painted plywood
> with some mildew spots that has been color changed a bit and blurred a
> little. *
>
> Whenever I'm out with my camera I keep an eye out for interesting
> textures for this purpose. *The other day I was out and saw a old barn
> with weathered wood plank siding and took some shots landscape and
> portrait for the file. *I also got a brick wall with some good ivy
> growth. *There are stock textures backgrounds on the web, but they
> don't look realistic to me.
>
> Now go ahead...you can tell me you could tell it had been
> Photoshopped.
>
> --
> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Tony, I was commenting on the aethestics of the shot and what I
appreciated about it. You recognized something that had a latent
potential interest, which is where I think good photography starts and
made it interesting. You used Photoshop. So? You used it to realize
a personal interpretation and did a good job of it. I'm not a purist
and Photoshop and I are the best of friends and I think the inventor
of the graphics pen tablet should get a Noble Prize and be Canonized
by the Roman Catholic Church.

As far as I am concerned, it's all about the final image and I told
you what I appreciated about it. Using photoshop doesn't take
anything away from the image, or you as a photographer for creating
it. It's a quality shot - 'nuff said.

Vance

John Turco

Vance wrote:

<heavily edited for brevity>

> I'm not a purist and Photoshop and I are the best of friends and
> I think the inventor of the graphics pen tablet should get a Noble
> Prize and be Canonized by the Roman Catholic Church.

<edited>

Actually, you'd probably meant "Nikonized" -- did you not?

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Peter

"John Turco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Vance wrote:
>
> <heavily edited for brevity>
>
>> I'm not a purist and Photoshop and I are the best of friends and
>> I think the inventor of the graphics pen tablet should get a Noble
>> Prize and be Canonized by the Roman Catholic Church.

> <edited>
>
> Actually, you'd probably meant "Nikonized" -- did you not?

Either is better than "Siskerized"

--
Peter

John Turco

Peter wrote:

> "John Turco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Vance wrote:
> >
> > <heavily edited for brevity>
> >
> >> I'm not a purist and Photoshop and I are the best of friends and
> >> I think the inventor of the graphics pen tablet should get a Noble
> >> Prize and be Canonized by the Roman Catholic Church.

> > <edited>
> >
> > Actually, you'd probably meant "Nikonized" -- did you not?
> >

> Either is better than "Siskerized"

"Pentax" could be interpreted as a tariff on writing instruments,
no?

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

peter

On 10/31/2010 3:52 AM, John Turco wrote:
> Peter wrote:

> "Pentax" could be interpreted as a tariff on writing instruments,
> no?

If you had no thumbs, you would not pay a thumb tacks

--
Peter

John Turco

peter wrote:

> On 10/31/2010 3:52 AM, John Turco wrote:
> > Peter wrote:

> > "Pentax" could be interpreted as a tariff on writing
> > instruments, no?
> >

> If you had no thumbs, you would not pay a thumb tacks

Samsung the praises of the NX10...good singing voice, eh?

On the other hand, the New York Giants played like dogs
and were Vicktimized, recently.

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

peter

On 11/27/2010 8:53 PM, John Turco wrote:
> peter wrote:
>>
>> On 10/31/2010 3:52 AM, John Turco wrote:
>>> Peter wrote:

>>> "Pentax" could be interpreted as a tariff on writing
>>> instruments, no?
>>>

>> If you had no thumbs, you would not pay a thumb tacks

> Samsung the praises of the NX10...good singing voice, eh?
>
> On the other hand, the New York Giants played like dogs
> and were Vicktimized, recently.

They did it to themselves.
Go Jets!

--
Peter

John Turco

peter wrote:

> On 11/27/2010 8:53 PM, John Turco wrote:
> > peter wrote:

> >> If you had no thumbs, you would not pay a thumb tacks

> > Samsung the praises of the NX10...good singing voice, eh?
> >
> > On the other hand, the New York Giants played like dogs
> > and were Vicktimized, recently.
> >

> They did it to themselves.
> Go Jets!

The Pack made the key pick on Vick, and thereby grounded
the big, bad Eagle -- all nice and legal!

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>