Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: [SI] "Sounds" has been posted!

Re: [SI] "Sounds" has been posted!

tony cooper

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 13:20:26 -0400, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The latest Shootin gallery has been posted, and is available for
>viewing
>
>http://www.pbase.com/shootin/seasonal_sounds

Some very nice photographs this time around. Some of the ones that
don't really depict sound are still well-worth a look.

Skimmers - Peter Newman - Interesting composition, but looks like a PS
masking job where the birds are left alone and the background blurred.
Do those birds not have eyes?

If I Am Elected - Peter Newman - Very nice. Good composition, good
color, and the "sounds" theme is well presented.

Tanglewood - Peter Newman - Fits the theme, but the capture is not all
that interesting. (I am such a O/C pedant that I have to correct the
spelling of the word. I can't help myself.)

Merry-Go-Round - Savageduck - Yes, I can hear the sound. Busy and
very saturated, but that *adds* to the image.

Guitarist on Stage - Savageduck - Again, a lot of saturation, but this
gives the feeling of warmth to an outdoor event. The inclusion of
spectators adds to this. Most people shoot just the musicians and I
think this is a mistake. When the musicians are performing for an
audience, the audience should be in the photo to complete the image.

Cobra - Savageduck - Anyone who thinks that sound cannot be
represented in photography should look at these images and Bowser's
rail.

It's interesting to see the two different techniques used in
Savageduck's and Bowser's racing photos. The Duck stopped the action
but you know it's there. Bowser went for panning and blur. Both
techniques work.

Epping rail - Bowser - Nice capture at 1/60th. I would have used a
little PS magic and painted some light on the driver's face...just
enough to make out the features.

Geezers - Bowser - A bit like the Tanglewood shot: it conveys sound,
but the subject lacks interest. Maybe opening up the shot and
including some blue-hairs in the audience would add something.

Blacksmiths - Bowser - I can hear the "clang". This might be better
as a square crop without the it-doesn't-add-stuff on the left.

SOS - Tim Conway - I like this shot. I hear gulls screeching.

Waves - Bob Coe - I can hear it, but I don't feel it.

Paddleboat - Bob Coe - I can't hear it.

Pirate Girl - Bob Coe - I don't see how this one fits in this mandate
at all, but it's a cute shot. I like the peepers behind her.

Bugler - Martha Coe - We need a cobra coming out of a basket.

Piano Lesson - Martha Coe - Please clone that sign out of the door
glass! We have sound here, and a definite feeling that the piano
lesson is interfering with her other plans.

Gegendämmerung - Martha Coe - I hope John Sisker sees this. Who needs
blue sky when you can do this?

Mosquito Wing - Paul Furman - Really? Incredible photo. I had no
idea what a mosquito wing looks like up close. I can hear that
high-pitched whine of a mosquito.

Cooper - None of mine were shot for the mandate. I forgot about it
and pulled three from the archives.

Why didn't someone think of photographing one of those ice cream
trucks that go through neighborhoods? One is going by as I write this
and playing "Pop Goes The Weasel" over and over and over.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Peter

"tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Skimmers - Peter Newman - Interesting composition, but looks like a PS
> masking job where the birds are left alone and the background blurred.
> Do those birds not have eyes?

Almost right. the bird on the right was PS. The bird on the left is as shot,
including the background. I used a 1.7 tele-converter on my 70-200 f2.8. I
don't recall the actual aperature setting, but this set up does not provide
much depth of filed. The shot was made early in the morning and their eyes
were not visible because of the low light angle. Their eyes, are buried in
the black feathers.

> If I Am Elected - Peter Newman - Very nice. Good composition, good
> color, and the "sounds" theme is well presented.

thank you. I originally considered cloning out the gull on the lower left.

> Tanglewood - Peter Newman - Fits the theme, but the capture is not all
> that interesting. (I am such a O/C pedant that I have to correct the
> spelling of the word. I can't help myself.)

(OK I have dyslexic fingers.)

That was one of the shots that is more interesting to the shooter. The
conductor wsa John Williams, who is one of my musical idols.

> [...]
> high-pitched whine of a mosquito.
>
> Cooper - None of mine were shot for the mandate. I forgot about it
> and pulled three from the archives.
>
> Why didn't someone think of photographing one of those ice cream
> trucks that go through neighborhoods? One is going by as I write this
> and playing "Pop Goes The Weasel" over and over and over.

--
Peter

Peter

"tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Skimmers - Peter Newman - Interesting composition, but looks like a PS
> masking job where the birds are left alone and the background blurred.
> Do those birds not have eyes?

Almost right. the bird on the right was PS. The bird on the left is as shot,
including the background. I used a 1.7 tele-converter on my 70-200 f2.8. I
don't recall the actual aperture setting, but this set up does not provide
much depth of field. The shot was made early in the morning and their eyes
were not visible because of the low light angle. Their eyes are buried in
the black feathers.

> If I Am Elected - Peter Newman - Very nice. Good composition, good
> color, and the "sounds" theme is well presented.

thank you. I originally considered cloning out the gull on the lower left.

> Tanglewood - Peter Newman - Fits the theme, but the capture is not all
> that interesting. (I am such a O/C pedant that I have to correct the
> spelling of the word. I can't help myself.)

(OK, OK I have dyslexic fingers.)

That was one of the shots that is more interesting to the shooter. You are
correct, I was too engrossed with the conductor, John Williams, who is one
of my musical idols. Notice that Jack Warner is applauding.

--
Peter

Robert Coe

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 20:07:56 -0400, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
: "tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: > If I Am Elected - Peter Newman - Very nice. Good composition, good
: > color, and the "sounds" theme is well presented.
:
: thank you. I originally considered cloning out the gull on the lower left.

No! He looks appropriately bored. And who knew that Sally Trailerpark was a
seagull? In any case, this is my favorite of the lot.

: > Tanglewood - Peter Newman - Fits the theme, but the capture is not all
: > that interesting. (I am such a O/C pedant that I have to correct the
: > spelling of the word. I can't help myself.)
:
: (OK I have dyslexic fingers.)
:
: That was one of the shots that is more interesting to the shooter. The
: conductor wsa John Williams, who is one of my musical idols.

Got that!! But we're from Boston, so of course we'd recognize him. :^)

Bob

tony cooper

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 17:57:40 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>Anyway, interesting observations Tony. Thanks for taking the time to
>add your comments.

I hope we have more comments from the participants and from the
non-participants. One of the major reasons some of us send in our
stuff is to see how others see our work.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

sid

tony cooper wrote:

> I hope we have more comments from the participants and from the
> non-participants. One of the major reasons some of us send in our
> stuff is to see how others see our work.

Ok, I'll try for the first time. See reply up there ^ in the thread

Please be as honest with mine if Bowser sees fit to put them up as they were
sent very late.

--
sid
RLU 300284

Robert Coe

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 18:55:13 -0400, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
: Waves - Bob Coe - I can hear it, but I don't feel it.

Just as well. The Bay is very cold this time of year.

: Paddleboat - Bob Coe - I can't hear it.

Because "steamboats" are now Diesel-powered and absurdly quiet. Notice that no
smoke escapes the smokestacks either. :^(

: Pirate Girl - Bob Coe - I don't see how this one fits in this mandate
: at all, but it's a cute shot. I like the peepers behind her.

Pirates make a lot of noise. Especially these pirates. The resolute look on
the lead pirate, who doubles as my youngest granddaughter, could indicate that
she and the rest of her cohort are about to seize control of the boat. But no,
they're actually in a limbo line, and Sophie is next under the bar. The
worried look on the others is not that they're going to take a bullet in the
belly, but that they might fall on their butts in front of the other kids and
camera-clicking parents.

: Bugler - Martha Coe - We need a cobra coming out of a basket.

I'm not that good. He'd probably comment on the music by biting me.

: Piano Lesson - Martha Coe - Please clone that sign out of the door
: glass!

If I'd had any sense, I'd have pulled those signs down as soon as we got
there. They were clearly an eyesore, and we knew that we were going to spend
the week taking pictures of the grandchildren, indoors and out.

: We have sound here, and a definite feeling that the piano
: lesson is interfering with her other plans.

It was actually quite the opposite. Nía doesn't have a piano at home and
greatly enjoyed trying to play this one. (So did the other two, but their
playing was, shall we say, a bit dissonant.) Shep taught her a couple of
songs, and she did pretty darned well.

: Gegendämmerung - Martha Coe - I hope John Sisker sees this. Who needs
: blue sky when you can do this?

Martha appreciated the compliment, but seemed a bit concerned that she'll get
typed as Sisker's nemesis, which she certainly didn't intend. Somebody (you?)
made a very similar comment about her picture of the Wayside Inn gristmill a
few months ago.

: Why didn't someone think of photographing one of those ice cream
: trucks that go through neighborhoods? One is going by as I write this
: and playing "Pop Goes The Weasel" over and over and over.

Now that you mention it, I don't think I've heard one of those all summer. Our
town tried to ban them a few years ago, but an outcry by the kids persuaded
the Powers That Be to (grudgingly) reinstate them. Maybe there aren't enough
kids around in the summer to support them anymore.

Bob

tony cooper

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 22:45:32 -0400, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>: Gegendämmerung - Martha Coe - I hope John Sisker sees this. Who needs
>: blue sky when you can do this?
>
>Martha appreciated the compliment, but seemed a bit concerned that she'll get
>typed as Sisker's nemesis, which she certainly didn't intend. Somebody (you?)
>made a very similar comment about her picture of the Wayside Inn gristmill a
>few months ago.

Sisker is his own nemesis.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida