Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Hardware > Cisco ping issues in PacketTracer

Cisco ping issues in PacketTracer

09-19-2010
I'm working in PT with 5 1841 routers, each connected to a switch via fast ethernet. Routers are connected with serial 0/1/0 & 0/1/1. My problem is simple:

The assignment calls for successful pings to all interfaces from every router. I can get successful pings to the serial interfaces but I cannot get the fast ethernet pings to succeed. The configurations on each router seem correct and the routing tables list each network connection just fine. I can't figure out why I can't ping an ethernet interface but I can ping all the serial interfaces all day long.

Help!!

11-04-2010
Can you attach the configs of each routers Eth int and routing statements?

The serials are pinging because they are directly connected. The key test is can you ping the 3rd router from the 1st? They are not directly connected.

If you can't ping the inside networks may because the networks are not in the routing table, or the LAN isn't connected to allow advertising of the network.

A show ip route can answer that as it will tell you if the networks are advertised via some sort of dynamic routing proto. If you have Static routes you have to have the middle router point to both sides of it.

So when R1 pings R3 it will go through R2 when R2 is connected to both routers.