Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: Best AV and Malware programs?

Re: Best AV and Malware programs?

- Bobb -

"Alex Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What would you recommend as the best virus and malware
>> scanners/programs at the moment and why? Are there any really good
>> ones that are not too bloated and don't use up a lot of resources and
>> memory? I have major issues with my system I'm trying to sort out now.
>>

> The reason I switched was now and then after an update there would be a
> period where a problem would pop up while the 3d party places would have
> to fix some conflict. I figured MS would be less likely to do an update
> that would conflict with their own stuff.

" I figured MS would be less likely to do an update that would conflict with
their own stuff."

Exactly. THAT's the part where I think they should have lost in the
MONOPOLY lawsuit.
That's how they get the masses to use their stuff. They 'give their stuff
away' to dry up the competition and then tweak their stuff so that it does
what the others could do, and maybe a little bit more. Remember Netscape,
RealPlayer, etc. And if it involves data, they save it by default in their
own format, make their app the default ,so (unless you notice and the public
doesn't), you can go one way but not go back later on.

Just bugs me that they copy everyone's stuff in the claim of " being for the
good of the public". Like bundling IE , Media Player on every Windows PC
even if OEMs didn't want to.' Yeah I know - it's free, but it wasn't THEIR
idea to exploit / give away.
Flame off.

Jeff Strickland

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks guys.
>
> This Microsoft Malicious Software tool whereabouts would it be on my
> system if I already have it, and if not how do I get it?
>
> I am running XP Pro SP3 (32-bit) on this system.
>
> I have mostly used free stuff in the past though I did once pay for
> symantec many years ago. The only other two program I paid for were CA
> EZ Anti-Virus. This was about 5 or 6 years ago. It was a great program
> than ran smoothly but later versions became bloated. That was a pay
> yearly one. The only other two I think I paid for were called BOC
> Cleaner(?) or Nod32 I think.

Visit http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/?mkt=en-us

Download and install from there.

- Bobb -

"Alex Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> news:i72do5$5p3$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>
>> "Alex Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> " I figured MS would be less likely to do an update that would conflict
>> with their own stuff."
>>

>> Exactly. THAT's the part where I think they should have lost in the
>> MONOPOLY lawsuit.

> Ok, so MS should not do updates since 3d party stuff might not work with
> it?

I'm just pointing out what the poster and every 'casual user' I know
perceives. Most of the population know how to use yahoo or aol or msn
interface and they buy a pc and use it - that way - with whatever browser
comes with the pc. Dell pushed back and wanted Ie unbundled because clients
wanted Netscape or Firefox ... MSFT threatened to sue them. ( Europe sued
them and won for same reasons)

>> That's how they get the masses to use their stuff. They 'give their
>> stuff away' to dry up the competition and then tweak their stuff so that
>> it does what the others could do, and maybe a little bit more. Remember
>> Netscape, RealPlayer, etc. And if it involves data, they save it by
>> default in their own format, make their app the default ,so (unless you
>> notice and the public doesn't), you can go one way but not go back later
>> on.
>>

> Last I heard real is still in business if you wish to use it. They still
> have a website and everything.

Yeah, it is, but stock USED to be $200 a share and shortly after WMP
shipped free with Win ME, 2000 stock went down and down and down ... it's
about $2 a share now. Maybe if you owned 1000 shares at the old price it
would matter. I didn't own shares but saw it happen.
http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/RNWK/charts
click on time frame = Max

European politicians sued MSFT and won. Apparently they aren't as
susceptible to corruption as US or maybe they WANT to get contributions as
do their US counterparts.

Realplayer used to SELL in the store - retail. Same with Netscape ....
Netscape had a 95% market share of all computers, costs was $39.95 and
within a year no one would pay for it.
That money was good but the real money in either of these is in the server
part of the software.

wiki:
'Instead, the majority of the company's browser sales have occurred either
at retail or into the growing corporate segment of the market. For example,
Netscape's business plan includes direct sales to the Fortune 100
corporations and agreements with scores of OEM companies like Compaq, IBM,
HP, Sun, and Digital. The company's proficiency in traditional product
distribution network should not be overlooked as a key factor of success. '

Check online for Netscape CEO Jim Barksdale testifying before Congress. If
software comes with .. built in app vs storebought /"needs to be installed"
app that what they use. Take a survey among your neighbors /casual users (
not techy folks) and I'd bet that 99% have never heard of Firefox or any
other alternative. If MSFT's goal was to NOT monoploize the market, then
they COULD have sold a few million at $39. As a CEO your job is to maximize
return to stockholders, right ? What could have been Bill Gates'
justification for 'giving away' IE and WMP if not to monopolize the desktop.

>> Just bugs me that they copy everyone's stuff in the claim of " being for
>> the good of the public". Like bundling IE , Media Player on every Windows
>> PC even if OEMs didn't want to.' Yeah I know - it's free, but it wasn't
>> THEIR idea to exploit / give away.
>> Flame off.
>>

> This is another bitching thing I have never got. This PC came with IE, I
> choose not to use it. I like Firefox and it works 99% of the time. The few
> times I find something that will not work with it I just turn on IE. I
> don't get why this is so hard for so many people to figure out. Never used
> Netscscape. If it was good I would expect it would still be around.
> For anyone who can not figure out how to use a PC and not use WMP or IE
> you can use Linux or a Mac. I doubt anyone who is so "challenged" that
> they can not figure out how to use Real Player or Firefox is going to get
> anywhere with a Mac or Linux though.
> --

Old wiki extract about the story:
http://www-inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~e.../eecsba1c/pj1/
" Microsoft's browser was free, while Netscape's browser was not. This
allowed Microsoft to make tremendous gains in market share. With both
browsers being distributed for free, Microsoft's deep-rooted advantages have
become clear. Because PC makers are locked in to distributing Microsoft's
Windows 98 operating system, many do not see the benefit in providing
Netscape's browser on top of Microsoft's browser. " So if user WANTED
Netscape installed by the OEM, then would be an extra charge to buy Netscape
( of course) or they could use IE for free.

Have a nice weekend.