Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Five Web Browsers: Which is the Fastest?

Five Web Browsers: Which is the Fastest?

Sweetpea

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 12:42:00 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:

>> >Google Chrome doesn't do lots of sites, including some google sites
>> >(though they may have now fixed that). Although I like Google Chrome,
>> >I still (have to) use IE for BNZ's internet banking (Google Chrome
>> >errors out with aspx errors) and Telstraclears usage meter (cable)
>> >(Google Chrome just doesn't work).

>> I'd complain ... particularly to the BNZ. Their site is broken.

> I don't care who's at fault - I just want, and expect, it to work.

The browser is working OK. The website is broken.

Sweetpea

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 17:17:08 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:

> IE9 is reported to provide complete CSS3 support.

IE9 doesn't work everywhere.

It doesn't work on any version of Unix, Linux, Windows, and any version
of WindowsNT prior to version 6.0 (Vi$ta).

Dave Doe

says...

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 17:17:08 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:
>
> > IE9 is reported to provide complete CSS3 support.

> IE9 doesn't work everywhere.
>
> It doesn't work on any version of Unix, Linux, Windows, and any version
> of WindowsNT prior to version 6.0 (Vi$ta).

I think it does! Why would IE care what OS a website is running on?

--
Duncan.

Dave Doe

says...

> On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 20:58:15 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:
>
> > Of course, reality is, it's not just about speed. IE remains the best
> > rendering engine IMO. It works everywhere.

> Name ONE Unix or Linux machine that it runs natively on!

All of them!

--
Duncan.

Sweetpea

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 20:59:44 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:

>> > Of course, reality is, it's not just about speed. IE remains the
>> > best rendering engine IMO. It works everywhere.

>> Name ONE Unix or Linux machine that it runs natively on!

> All of them!

LOL!

Sweetpea

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 20:59:32 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:

> says...
>>
>> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 17:17:08 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:
>>
>> > IE9 is reported to provide complete CSS3 support.

>> IE9 doesn't work everywhere.
>>
>> It doesn't work on any version of Unix, Linux, Windows, and any version
>> of WindowsNT prior to version 6.0 (Vi$ta).

> I think it does! Why would IE care what OS a website is running on?

It doesn't care what version of Linux/Unix a web-server is sitting on.
But MSIE doesn't run on an Internet facing server - it runs on desktop
computers.

Dave Doe

says...

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 20:59:32 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> > says...

> >> IE9 doesn't work everywhere.
> >>
> >> It doesn't work on any version of Unix, Linux, Windows, and any version
> >> of WindowsNT prior to version 6.0 (Vi$ta).

> > I think it does! Why would IE care what OS a website is running on?

> It doesn't care what version of Linux/Unix a web-server is sitting on.
> But MSIE doesn't run on an Internet facing server - it runs on desktop
> computers.

You are barking up the wrong tree. The discussion is not about what
platforms a browser supports (isn't that *obvious* ?) - it is about a
browsers functionality (ie accuracy and rendering (of webpages)).

You're at the wrong end of the stick.

--
Duncan.

Sweetpea

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:51:50 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:

>> > I think it does! Why would IE care what OS a website is running on?

>> It doesn't care what version of Linux/Unix a web-server is sitting on.
>> But MSIE doesn't run on an Internet facing server - it runs on desktop
>> computers.

> You are barking up the wrong tree. The discussion is not about what
> platforms a browser supports (isn't that *obvious* ?) - it is about a
> browsers functionality (ie accuracy and rendering (of webpages)).

You claimed that MSIE9 works everywhere. That is patiently not true - it
doesn't even work on WindowsXP.

No point in saying MSIE renders CSS3 if that browser is not supported on
less than half of one of the 4 major platforms!

Dave Doe

says...

> >> It doesn't care what version of Linux/Unix a web-server is sitting on.
> >> But MSIE doesn't run on an Internet facing server - it runs on desktop
> >> computers.

> > You are barking up the wrong tree. The discussion is not about what
> > platforms a browser supports (isn't that *obvious* ?) - it is about a
> > browsers functionality (ie accuracy and rendering (of webpages)).

> You claimed that MSIE9 works everywhere. That is patiently not true - it
> doesn't even work on WindowsXP.
>
> No point in saying MSIE renders CSS3 if that browser is not supported on
> less than half of one of the 4 major platforms!

Again, you are barking up the wrong tree - IE8 (I said) works everywhere
- ie on all *websites*. IE9 is even more compliant and standards
friendly.

You *still* have the wrong end of the stick.

--
Duncan.

Sweetpea

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 00:39:35 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:

> Again, you are barking up the wrong tree - IE8 (I said) works everywhere
> - ie on all *websites*. IE9 is even more compliant and standards
> friendly.
>
> You *still* have the wrong end of the stick.

Sorry - Wrong!

No point in IE9 being able to render the entire of the WWW if it is only
available on WinNT6.0 and WinNT6.1 and on NO OTHER version of MS Windows,
and on NO OTHER platform!