Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Five Web Browsers: Which is the Fastest?

Reply
Thread Tools

Five Web Browsers: Which is the Fastest?

 
 
Penguin Man
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Penguin Moan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-18-2010
On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 17:39:00 +1200, Penguin Man wrote:

> http://...


"I already posted this same link yesterday as William
Brown.. You chaps paid no attention to me.."

"Maybe you chaps will pay attention to me this time
when I post as Penguin Man.."


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sweetpea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-18-2010
On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 22:30:24 +1200, Penguin Moan wrote:

> "Maybe you chaps will pay attention to me this time when I post as
> Penguin Man.."


[plonk!]


--
"Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
 
Reply With Quote
 
William Brown
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-19-2010
On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 11:57:32 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 22:30:24 +1200, Penguin Moan wrote:
>
>> "Maybe you chaps will pay attention to me this time when I post as
>> Penguin Man.."

>
>[plonk!]




You just show the level of intelligent of the Kiwi, I wonder what the
world thinks of NZ with the bunch of idiots that infest this news
group..


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Doe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-19-2010
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
>
> "William Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 11:57:32 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >>On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 22:30:24 +1200, Penguin Moan wrote:
> >>
> >>> "Maybe you chaps will pay attention to me this time when I post as
> >>> Penguin Man.."
> >>
> >>[plonk!]

> >
> >
> >
> > You just show the level of intelligent of the Kiwi, I wonder what the
> > world thinks of NZ with the bunch of idiots that infest this news
> > group..
> >

>
> Sweaty Pee won't engage in a discussion with anyone who resorts to using
> facts such as benchmarks to support a position.
>
> I ran the Futuremark Peacekeeper benchmark on my own machine using IE8,
> Opera 6 and Firefox 3.6. The scores I got were similar to those charted in
> the article you referenced:
>
> IE8: 998
> Chrome 6: 8880
> Firefox 3.6: 2931
>
> Google Chrome looks like the clear winner.
>
> This is consistent with other benchmarks I've seen. For example, Tom's
> Hardware:
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ri-5,2680.html


Of course, reality is, it's not just about speed. IE remains the best
rendering engine IMO. It works everywhere.

Google Chrome doesn't do lots of sites, including some google sites
(though they may have now fixed that). Although I like Google Chrome, I
still (have to) use IE for BNZ's internet banking (Google Chrome errors
out with aspx errors) and Telstraclears usage meter (cable) (Google
Chrome just doesn't work).


--
Duncan.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-19-2010
In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>(snip)


>Of course, reality is, it's not just about speed. IE remains the best
>rendering engine IMO. It works everywhere.


Ah ... would that be because it's non standard and written to use all the
extensions and add ons MS broke the standards with perhaps ?
Then there's the (few I hope) sites that say they are broken if you use a
non MS browser ... but work fine if you lie about which browser you are
really using.

>Google Chrome doesn't do lots of sites, including some google sites
>(though they may have now fixed that). Although I like Google Chrome, I
>still (have to) use IE for BNZ's internet banking (Google Chrome errors
>out with aspx errors) and Telstraclears usage meter (cable) (Google
>Chrome just doesn't work).


I'd complain ... particularly to the BNZ. Their site is broken.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Doe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2010
In article <i7693v$19d$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
(E-Mail Removed)z says...
>
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >(snip)

>
> >Of course, reality is, it's not just about speed. IE remains the best
> >rendering engine IMO. It works everywhere.

>
> Ah ... would that be because it's non standard and written to use all the
> extensions and add ons MS broke the standards with perhaps ?
> Then there's the (few I hope) sites that say they are broken if you use a
> non MS browser ... but work fine if you lie about which browser you are
> really using.


It (Chrome) does that anyway...
Google Chrome...
Your browser identified itself as:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.3
(KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/6.0.472.62 Safari/534.3

IE8...
Your browser identified itself as:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR
1.1.4322; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET
CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729;
OfficeLiveConnector.1.4; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E)

>
> >Google Chrome doesn't do lots of sites, including some google sites
> >(though they may have now fixed that). Although I like Google Chrome, I
> >still (have to) use IE for BNZ's internet banking (Google Chrome errors
> >out with aspx errors) and Telstraclears usage meter (cable) (Google
> >Chrome just doesn't work).

>
> I'd complain ... particularly to the BNZ. Their site is broken.


I don't care who's at fault - I just want, and expect, it to work.

At the end of the day, I expect sites to not only work, but be
accurately rendered. And IE does the best job by a country mile.

--
Duncan.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2010
In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)

I note the IDs are different (many .net things for IE) but don't know how
much difference that will make. Chrome is not, perhaps, the best alternative
for comparison either ?

>> I'd complain ... particularly to the BNZ. Their site is broken.

>
>I don't care who's at fault - I just want, and expect, it to work.


Agreed. But that it doesn't is usually/often the fault of poor programming
tested only on IE. Whose fault is taht ? ... and who therefore should have
the job of fixing the problem ?

>At the end of the day, I expect sites to not only work, but be
>accurately rendered. And IE does the best job by a country mile.


Agreed until you get to the last part. IME, IE is the least standard of all,
and therefore the *least* reliable and to be avoided. Mileages vary of
course.

As always, use what you like ... but please ... *do* complain if a web site
is broken. How otherwise will they know ?



 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Doe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2010
In article <i76q33$hct$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
(E-Mail Removed)z says...
>
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (snip)
>
> I note the IDs are different (many .net things for IE) but don't know how
> much difference that will make. Chrome is not, perhaps, the best alternative
> for comparison either ?
>
> >> I'd complain ... particularly to the BNZ. Their site is broken.

> >
> >I don't care who's at fault - I just want, and expect, it to work.

>
> Agreed. But that it doesn't is usually/often the fault of poor programming
> tested only on IE. Whose fault is taht ? ... and who therefore should have
> the job of fixing the problem ?
>
> >At the end of the day, I expect sites to not only work, but be
> >accurately rendered. And IE does the best job by a country mile.

>
> Agreed until you get to the last part. IME, IE is the least standard of all,
> and therefore the *least* reliable and to be avoided. Mileages vary of
> course.


Do you have any evidence to back that up? IE8 is a *very* standards
compliant browser.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interne...ndards_support

IE9 is reported to provide complete CSS3 support.

--
Duncan.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sweetpea
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2010
On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 20:58:15 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:

> Of course, reality is, it's not just about speed. IE remains the best
> rendering engine IMO. It works everywhere.


Name ONE Unix or Linux machine that it runs natively on!


--
"Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Five Web Browsers: Which is the Fastest? Penguin Man NZ Computing 2 09-19-2010 10:36 AM
Microcontrollers: which one ? which language ? which compiler ? The Jesus of Suburbia NZ Computing 2 02-11-2006 06:53 PM
Linspire Five-O Desktop Linux Review at XYZ Computing Silverstrand Front Page News 0 07-29-2005 05:39 PM
Re: Kendall's five seconds of fame Kendal Emery MCSE 0 07-02-2003 04:49 PM
Re: Kendall's five seconds of fame Consultant MCSE 0 07-02-2003 03:50 PM



Advertisments