Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Open source "development" thrives on imitation, not innovation --and a bad imitation at that

Re: Open source "development" thrives on imitation, not innovation --and a bad imitation at that

Hamish Campbell

On Sep 17, 3:52*pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Dissatisfaction with Facebook's privacy policy seems to have prompted open
> source developers to create an even bigger nightmare:
>
> "The release of pre-alpha source code for their Diaspora social Website was
> only a few hours old on Wednesday when hackers began identifying flaws they
> said could seriously compromise the security of those who used it. Among
> other things, the mistakes make it possible to hijack accounts, friend users
> without their permission, and delete their photos.
>
> "'The bottom line is currently there is nothing that you cannot do to
> someone's Diaspora account, absolutely nothing," said Patrick McKenzie,
> owner of Bingo Card Creator, a software company in Ogaki, Japan. *'About the
> only thing I haven't been able to do yet is to compromise the security of
> the server that Diaspora is installed on. That's not because that isn't
> possible. If a professional security researcher goes after this, I have
> every confidence that they will be able to do that.'"
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09...pha_landmines/

Keyword: "pre-alpha".

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Hamish Campbell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sep 17, 3:52=A0pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Dissatisfaction with Facebook's privacy policy seems to have prompted ope=

>> source developers to create an even bigger nightmare:
>>
>> "The release of pre-alpha source code for their Diaspora social Website w=

>as
>> only a few hours old on Wednesday when hackers began identifying flaws th=

>ey
>> said could seriously compromise the security of those who used it. Among
>> other things, the mistakes make it possible to hijack accounts, friend us=

>ers
>> without their permission, and delete their photos.
>>
>> "'The bottom line is currently there is nothing that you cannot do to
>> someone's Diaspora account, absolutely nothing," said Patrick McKenzie,
>> owner of Bingo Card Creator, a software company in Ogaki, Japan. =A0'Abou=

>t the
>> only thing I haven't been able to do yet is to compromise the security of
>> the server that Diaspora is installed on. That's not because that isn't
>> possible. If a professional security researcher goes after this, I have
>> every confidence that they will be able to do that.'"
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09...pha_landmines/

>Keyword: "pre-alpha".

... and of course, closed source does exactly the same imitating instead of
imitating. The origninal implication is not valid. Of course. Nothing new
here.

victor

On 20/09/2010 11:17 a.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article<(E-Mail Removed)>, Hamish Campbell<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Sep 17, 3:52=A0pm, "impossible"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Dissatisfaction with Facebook's privacy policy seems to have prompted ope=

>>> source developers to create an even bigger nightmare:
>>>
>>> "The release of pre-alpha source code for their Diaspora social Website w=

>> as
>>> only a few hours old on Wednesday when hackers began identifying flaws th=

>> ey
>>> said could seriously compromise the security of those who used it. Among
>>> other things, the mistakes make it possible to hijack accounts, friend us=

>> ers
>>> without their permission, and delete their photos.
>>>
>>> "'The bottom line is currently there is nothing that you cannot do to
>>> someone's Diaspora account, absolutely nothing," said Patrick McKenzie,
>>> owner of Bingo Card Creator, a software company in Ogaki, Japan. =A0'Abou=

>> t the
>>> only thing I haven't been able to do yet is to compromise the security of
>>> the server that Diaspora is installed on. That's not because that isn't
>>> possible. If a professional security researcher goes after this, I have
>>> every confidence that they will be able to do that.'"
>>>
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09...pha_landmines/

>> Keyword: "pre-alpha".

> .. and of course, closed source does exactly the same imitating instead of
> imitating. The origninal implication is not valid. Of course. Nothing new
> here.

LOL Impossitard has soiled his cubicle again.

Facebook is built on Apache. 60k servers running Apache and various
other open source software projects initiated by them and now used by
twitter, digg and other web monsters.
The only way to cope with their phenomenal rate of growth is by being
clever with open source tools and employing the brightest and best they
can find who already have experience with open source software.

http://www.developer.com/open/articl...Foundation.htm