Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Samyang announces 35 mm f/1.4 AS UMC lens

Samyang announces 35 mm f/1.4 AS UMC lens

Bruce

As if there weren't enough new 35mm f/1.4 lenses already announced in
2010, Samyang has announced yet another!

http://preview.tinyurl.com/38ugzpq
or:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10...yng35mm1p4.asp

It will be available in Canon EF, Nikon AIS, Pentax K, Samsung NX,
Sony Alpha and Four Thirds mounts.

The news arrives hard on the heels of the announcements of the Nikon
and Carl Zeiss designs. Like the Carl Zeiss optic, the Samyang is a
manual focus lens, whereas the new Nikkor is AF. However, the Samyang
lacks the on-lens CPU that allows the Zeiss to access metering and
auto modes when it is used with Nikon's early and consumer DSLRs.

No doubt the Samyang 35mm f/1.4 will be competitively priced. But if
its optics are in the same league as the same company's outstanding
85mm f/1.4, then like that lens, it should be worth *every penny*.

Rich

On Sep 17, 5:20*pm, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> As if there weren't enough new 35mm f/1.4 lenses already announced in
> 2010, Samyang has announced yet another!
>
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/38ugzpq
> or:http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10...yng35mm1p4.asp
>
> It will be available in Canon EF, Nikon AIS, Pentax K, Samsung NX,
> Sony Alpha and Four Thirds mounts.
>
> The news arrives hard on the heels of the announcements of the Nikon
> and Carl Zeiss designs. *Like the Carl Zeiss optic, the Samyang is a
> manual focus lens, whereas the new Nikkor is AF. *However, the Samyang
> lacks the on-lens CPU that allows the Zeiss to access metering and
> auto modes when it is used with Nikon's early and consumer DSLRs.
>
> No doubt the Samyang 35mm f/1.4 will be competitively priced. *But if
> its optics are in the same league as the same company's outstanding
> 85mm f/1.4, then like that lens, it should be worth *every penny*.

Be funny if the thing beats 6x more expensive Nikon, like the 85mm did.

Bruce

Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sep 17, 5:20*pm, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> As if there weren't enough new 35mm f/1.4 lenses already announced in
>> 2010, Samyang has announced yet another!
>>
>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/38ugzpq
>> or:http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10...yng35mm1p4.asp
>>
>> It will be available in Canon EF, Nikon AIS, Pentax K, Samsung NX,
>> Sony Alpha and Four Thirds mounts.
>>
>> The news arrives hard on the heels of the announcements of the Nikon
>> and Carl Zeiss designs. *Like the Carl Zeiss optic, the Samyang is a
>> manual focus lens, whereas the new Nikkor is AF. *However, the Samyang
>> lacks the on-lens CPU that allows the Zeiss to access metering and
>> auto modes when it is used with Nikon's early and consumer DSLRs.
>>
>> No doubt the Samyang 35mm f/1.4 will be competitively priced. *But if
>> its optics are in the same league as the same company's outstanding
>> 85mm f/1.4, then like that lens, it should be worth *every penny*.

>Be funny if the thing beats 6x more expensive Nikon, like the 85mm did.

I doubt Samyang will be able to sell the 35mm f/1.4 anywhere near as
cheaply as the 85mm f/1.4. But it will still cost less than a third
of the price of the new Nikkor.