Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > connecting two machines

connecting two machines

richard

As I now have a new laptop with windows 7 and a desktop with vista, is it
remotely possible to connect the two so I can access the files on the
desktop through the laptop?

Would this be done with a router or other device?

Meat Plow

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 10:33:44 -0500, philo wrote:

> On 09/17/2010 10:30 AM, richard wrote:
>> As I now have a new laptop with windows 7 and a desktop with vista, is
>> it remotely possible to connect the two so I can access the files on
>> the desktop through the laptop?
>>
>> Would this be done with a router or other device?

> a router would make sense

Make sure both are in the same work-group.

Desk Rabbit

On 17/09/2010 16:30, richard wrote:
> As I now have a new laptop with windows 7 and a desktop with vista, is it
> remotely possible to connect the two so I can access the files on the
> desktop through the laptop?

Yes

> Would this be done with a router or other device?

Yes

Mike Easter

richard wrote:
> As I now have a new laptop with windows 7 and a desktop with vista, is it
> remotely possible to connect the two so I can access the files on the
> desktop through the laptop?

Yes, but you didn't mention what kinds of 'connectivity' hardware these
machines have. The typical modern desktop has ethernet but no serial
port (or LPT printer for that matter), while the typical modern laptop
has ethernet and wireless 802.11 b/g/n.

That connectivity hardware can be used with a wireless 802.11 router
(which also has wired ethernet ports) to establish a home LAN which
network has windows file and printer sharing enabled.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Evan Platt wrote:
<some useless ad hominem>

I recommend that you review the last hundred messages that you have
posted to this group and total the number which contain any helpful
information compared to the number in which you are attempting to insult
someone else.

Then I recommend that you consider or wonder whether or not anyone else
who reads this group should ever read any of your messages - try to
think of what use they would find in reading what you ever have to say
negative about someone else and which is virtually never helpful or useful.

--
Mike Easter

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Evan Platt wrote:

> richard wrote:
>> Would this be done with a router or other device?

> Yes.

I was waiting for you to recommend the even better "two tin cans and
string" method. 'Swat I use; works well. I have 30Mbps string, too.

--
-bts
-Could. Not. Resist.

fred-bloggs

richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:qskia6tx2fjp$.fq53rtlwxjbz.dlg@
40tude.net:

> As I now have a new laptop with windows 7 and a desktop with vista, is it
> remotely possible to connect the two so I can access the files on the
> desktop through the laptop?
>
> Would this be done with a router or other device?

You can connect wirelessly if you have wireless adapters on both machines.

You can connect wired using a Ethernet crossover cable.

--
fred

richard

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 09:21:54 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

> Evan Platt wrote:
> <some useless ad hominem>
>
> I recommend that you review the last hundred messages that you have
> posted to this group and total the number which contain any helpful
> information compared to the number in which you are attempting to insult
> someone else.
>
> Then I recommend that you consider or wonder whether or not anyone else
> who reads this group should ever read any of your messages - try to
> think of what use they would find in reading what you ever have to say
> negative about someone else and which is virtually never helpful or useful.

Good job 'ol boy, good job. Keep up the good work.
I quit replying to the SOB simply for the fact he just loves to argue.

Mike Yetto

Beauregard T. Shagnasty <(E-Mail Removed)> writes and having writ moves on.
>Evan Platt wrote:

>> richard wrote:
>>> Would this be done with a router or other device?

>> Yes.

>I was waiting for you to recommend the even better "two tin cans and
>string" method. 'Swat I use; works well. I have 30Mbps string, too.

But it's hard to find a cross-over can.

Mike "RFC 1149 - TCP over Avian Carriers" Yetto
In practice they are not.

NotMe

news:qskia6tx2fjp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> As I now have a new laptop with windows 7 and a desktop with vista, is it
> remotely possible to connect the two so I can access the files on the
> desktop through the laptop?
>
> Would this be done with a router or other device?

I've been playing with www.teamviewer.com application. Free for private
use. Not been playing with it long enough to say yea or nay but so far it
works.