Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Brownout

Brownout

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

I hear thunder, and the light in my office goes black for maybe a tenth of a
second.

I have 3 PCs switched on, and none of them even blinks. Guess what gives
trouble? My Ethernet switch.

Even without a storm going on, it does this maybe once or twice a year: I
can tell it’s in a wedged state, because the status lights are stuck
unblinking, showing an impossible combination. Power-cycle it, and it’s back
to normal, and my office connectivity is restored.

Richard

> I hear thunder, and the light in my office goes black for maybe a tenth of a
> second.
>
> I have 3 PCs switched on, and none of them even blinks. Guess what gives
> trouble? My Ethernet switch.
>
> Even without a storm going on, it does this maybe once or twice a year: I
> can tell it’s in a wedged state, because the status lights are stuck
> unblinking, showing an impossible combination. Power-cycle it, and it’s back
> to normal, and my office connectivity is restored.

Does it have D-link writtin on it at all?

My crap 8 port gigabit on does that often, also it will stop learning
mac address changes every few months needing a powercycle too.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <i6vce4$4on$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard wrote:

> Does it have D-link writtin on it at all?

No, actually Dynalink.

> My crap 8 port gigabit on does that often, also it will stop learning
> mac address changes every few months needing a powercycle too.

I’ve been thinking of getting a gigabit-capable switch. But really it’s only
important those few times I need to move a multi-gigabyte BitTorrent
download between my main PC and my backup PC.

They both have FireWire ports, which are currently unused. So another option
would be connecting them that way.

Richard

> In message<i6vce4$4on$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard wrote:
>
>> Does it have D-link writtin on it at all?

> No, actually Dynalink.

Probably the one brand that is worse...

>> My crap 8 port gigabit on does that often, also it will stop learning
>> mac address changes every few months needing a powercycle too.

> I’ve been thinking of getting a gigabit-capable switch. But really it’s only
> important those few times I need to move a multi-gigabyte BitTorrent
> download between my main PC and my backup PC.
>
> They both have FireWire ports, which are currently unused. So another option
> would be connecting them that way.

Ive found playing bluray rips gets a bit choppy on 100 meg sometimes
depending on what else is going on at the same time...