Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Re: Voip over mobile internet

Re: Voip over mobile internet

Gordon Henderson

In article <i6v3gb$3pp$(E-Mail Removed)>, Nigel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Any body knows which UK mobile operator will allow you to use voip?
>I have used it successful with three but I just wondered about the others.

I use it on O2 occasionally - not sure if they "allow" it, but they've
not blocked me so-far...

I also had a client on Voda (I think - with a dongle off a Draytek router)
who used it for 3-4 weeks until they got broadband!

Gordon

Daniel Smith

On 17/09/10 09:18, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> In article <i6v3gb$3pp$(E-Mail Removed)>, Nigel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Any body knows which UK mobile operator will allow you to use voip?
>> I have used it successful with three but I just wondered about the others.

> I use it on O2 occasionally - not sure if they "allow" it, but they've
> not blocked me so-far...
>
> I also had a client on Voda (I think - with a dongle off a Draytek router)
> who used it for 3-4 weeks until they got broadband!
>
> Gordon

using linphone on android on 3 (hutcheson) with sip.voiptalk.org
it works fine on wifi but not on 3g (they can hear me, i cant hear them)

skype using the official skpe for android app works fine

Brian A

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 00:03:05 +0100, Daniel Smith wrote:

> On 17/09/10 09:18, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> In article <i6v3gb$3pp$(E-Mail Removed)>, Nigel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Any body knows which UK mobile operator will allow you to use voip? I
>>> have used it successful with three but I just wondered about the
>>> others.

>> I use it on O2 occasionally - not sure if they "allow" it, but they've
>> not blocked me so-far...
>>
>> I also had a client on Voda (I think - with a dongle off a Draytek
>> router) who used it for 3-4 weeks until they got broadband!
>>
>> Gordon

> using linphone on android on 3 (hutcheson) with sip.voiptalk.org it
> works fine on wifi but not on 3g (they can hear me, i cant hear them)
>
> skype using the official skpe for android app works fine

Hmmm what to suggest? Firstly I'd say that the Skype thing is a red
herring. It is a different protocol.
With things like this it's best just to pull a few things out of a hat
and see if they work. Try to find out if it will work with another SIP
provider. Set up a Voxalot account, for example, and then try the echo
test or put the 'Tell Me' service on a speed dial (via Sipbroker).
Does the Linphone client support stun? If so you could try setting that.
Voxalot will operate on a range of ports, not just the 5060,5061 etc.
range. I can't remember all the ports it uses but I think that even port
80 works. If you can get Voxalot to work you could use your Voiptalk
account via that or see if Voiptalk supports any obscure ports.
You could also check out Fring to see if that works for you.
As someone who is contemplating Android for my next phone I'd be
interested in your progress.

I just tried using Voxalot over T-Mobile. It wouldn't even register - I
am not happy with that, not because I need to use it for outgoing calls,
because I have more minutes than I need, but I object to any blocking and
censorship on principle. Anyone else tried T-Mobile for this?
--
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Running Linux Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Long term Support). Very customisable,