Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: 45 gigapixel panorama

Re: 45 gigapixel panorama

Rich

On Sep 16, 5:39*pm, Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://gigapan.org/gigapans/48492/
>
> 4250 pictures, 243 degrees angle of view
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

Kind of a waste taking the picture on what looks like a hazy day. The
image was pretty washed out, but detailed.

Peter

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> In article <85108494-a387-4f83-b89e-3dcd61d058f4
> @j2g2000vbo.googlegroups.com>, Rich says...
>> Kind of a waste taking the picture on what looks like a hazy day. The
>> image was pretty washed out, but detailed.

> Agree, but the visibility is always like that in Dubai in April. The
> photographer could have improved the situation by using a polariser
> filter and shooting RAW and post-processing each image.

Post processing how many individual RAW images?

--
Peter

Peter

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> In article <4c9395ae$0$5551$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, Peter
> says...
>> Post processing how many individual RAW images?

> He'll choose the same RAW conversion settings for all images, then run a
> batch job.

Using how much memory, scratch disk space and time? Run the numbers with 45
gig pixels. How many gig pixels fit on a 16 megabyte CF card.

--
Peter

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The
> photographer could have improved the situation by using a polariser
> filter and shooting RAW and post-processing each image.

A polarizer over 200+° of view? Isn't a polarizer kind of
dependend on the angle to the sun?

-Wolfgang

Peter

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> In article <4c93d7af$0$5492$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, Peter
> says...
>> Using how much memory, scratch disk space and time? Run the numbers with
>> 45
>> gig pixels.

> RAW conversion of individual images requires very little RAM.
>
> No idea how much memory you need to assemble a 45 gigapixel panorama.
>
>> How many gig pixels fit on a 16 megabyte CF card.

> 16 megabyte CF cards? Welcome to the year 2010. 16MB CF cards no longer
> exist.

An obvious typo. I meant 16 gigabyte CF cards. But, my point remains that
prior to posting I question whether you thought all issues through.

--
Peter

Peter

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> In article <4c94f381$0$5524$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, Peter
> says...
>> An obvious typo. I meant 16 gigabyte CF cards. But, my point remains that
>> prior to posting I question whether you thought all issues through.

> Perhaps the photographer can give you all technical details. Try
> contacting him.

Why?
It seems to me that you should have done so prior to your posting suggesting
RAW processing and polarization, without thinking the issue through.

--
Peter

peter

On 9/27/2010 5:08 AM, bugbear wrote:
> Peter wrote:
>> "Alfred Molon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>> In article <85108494-a387-4f83-b89e-3dcd61d058f4
>>> @j2g2000vbo.googlegroups.com>, Rich says...
>>>
>>> Agree, but the visibility is always like that in Dubai in April. The
>>> photographer could have improved the situation by using a polariser
>>> filter and shooting RAW and post-processing each image.

>> Post processing how many individual RAW images?
>>

> Lots. but since the processing can be done on each
> image separately, the ram requirments are low,
> and disc space is cheap.
>
> Set up a batch process, using a representative
> image (or two), and take a coffee break.
>
> Such processing is TRIVIAL compared to the issues
> of stitching and blending a large panorama.
>
> BugBear

Post processing includes stitching & blending

--
Peter