Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Intel Finally Accepts Software RAID

Intel Finally Accepts Software RAID

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Only some of us have been using it for years
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/15/sas_in_patsburg/>. Just note this
part:

As brightly as Bobholz and D'Souza painted the onboard SAS future to be,
Bobholz did note that software RAID remains dependent on the robustness
of the operating system upon which it is running.

"I know some operating system vendors don't like us to say this," she
admitted, "but should the operating system crash, yeah, your RAID stack
will go down with it."

In other words, don’t try it on Windows.

Simon

On Sep 16, 7:56*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

> In other words, don’t try it on Windows.

We've had several Windows servers using software-raid flawlessly in
the past. Must be a reflection on the poor quality of some IT
engineers.