Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > SDXC Cards

SDXC Cards

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

They go beyond 32GiB in size, apparently up to 2TiB
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/sdxc-cards-take-on-ssds/1088>.
Unfortunately, FAT32 won’t cope, and Microsoft is trying to make everyone
use its proprietary, patented exFAT filesystem on them.

I’d recomment ext2 or ext3 <http://www.fs-driver.org/>.

Richard

> They go beyond 32GiB in size, apparently up to 2TiB
> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/sdxc-cards-take-on-ssds/1088>.
> Unfortunately, FAT32 won’t cope, and Microsoft is trying to make everyone
> use its proprietary, patented exFAT filesystem on them.
>
> I’d recomment ext2 or ext3<http://www.fs-driver.org/>.

Does ntfs work on the most popular desktop operating system? Even the
second most popular can read ntfs out of the box, and I believe exFAT as
well

exfat is made to work with braindead devices like cameras that can
barely handle fat as it is, it has no permissions to worry about, it is
widely supported in the most popular desktop operating system as well as
hardware devices labeled with exfat support.

How many TVs or video cameras will work with an ext3 formatted card?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <i6sc4p$nml$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard wrote:

> Does ntfs work on the most popular desktop operating system?

Yes, Linux can handle it.

> How many TVs or video cameras will work with an ext3 formatted card?

Probably all those that can handle SDXC at the moment.

Simon

On Sep 16, 7:57*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <i6sc4p$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard wrote:
>
> > Does ntfs work on the most popular desktop operating system?

> Yes, Linux can handle it.

He's got you there Richard - maybe you should have concisely defined
the term 'popular' before inserting it into a sentence like that!

Richard

> In message<i6sc4p$nml$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard wrote:
>
>> Does ntfs work on the most popular desktop operating system?

> Yes, Linux can handle it.

Sorry, you must be looking at some wrong stats, because windows is the
most popular desktop OS in every single set of stats I have looked at,
even the #2 platform of mac can read it.

>> How many TVs or video cameras will work with an ext3 formatted card?

> Probably all those that can handle SDXC at the moment.

I dont have an sdxd card to test with, but I know that they will handle
a regular SDHC formatted with exfat.

Gunnar Gren

2010-09-16 Richard <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> On 16/09/2010 7:57 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In message<i6sc4p$nml$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard wrote:
>>
>>> Does ntfs work on the most popular desktop operating system?

>> Yes, Linux can handle it.

> because windows is the most popular desktop OS

Of course not, it's mearly the most used one.