Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Pointer as a function parameter

Pointer as a function parameter

Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet

* Ian Collins, on 16.09.2010 21:57:
> On 09/17/10 01:46 AM, Helge Kruse wrote:
>> "Ian Collins"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> White space is free these days...

>> There is a lot of whitespace in the message. Unfortunately Outlook Express
>> does not display this correctly and removes it when you reply. What's new
>> for me was that even your Thunderbird has this problem...

> That was a recent "enhancement"! The solution (for both?) is to avoid tabs.

Oh, I've said it tens of times, the solution for both is a good long whipping
with course salt applied to the wounds, then tar and feathers for the
irresponsible people, and a public display of them where we can spit on them.

Unfortunately, nobody's taken my suggestions seriously enough to implement them.

I wonder why, it's so obvious.

Cheers,

- Alf

Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet

* Ian Collins, on 16.09.2010 21:59:
> On 09/17/10 07:57 AM, Ian Collins wrote:
>> On 09/17/10 01:46 AM, Helge Kruse wrote:
>>> "Ian Collins"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> There is a lot of whitespace in the message. Unfortunately Outlook
>>> Express
>>> does not display this correctly and removes it when you reply. What's new
>>> for me was that even your Thunderbird has this problem...

>> That was a recent "enhancement"! The solution (for both?) is to avoid tabs.

> I posted too soon, spaces in the original are preserved by Thunderbird, it was
> this single function that didn't have any in the OP.

TB 3.x removes spaces when replying to a "format: flowed" message.

It's moronic.

But then so is much software today; I think it reflects that people aren't in
general promoted for their technical skills, so that in many cases people who
can imagine that such functionality is good, are those who set the rules.

Cheers,

- Alf

Francesco S. Carta

Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet <(E-Mail Removed)>, on
16/09/2010 22:10:46, wrote:

> * Ian Collins, on 16.09.2010 21:59:

>>> That was a recent "enhancement"! The solution (for both?) is to avoid
>>> tabs.

>> I posted too soon, spaces in the original are preserved by
>> Thunderbird, it was
>> this single function that didn't have any in the OP.

> TB 3.x removes spaces when replying to a "format: flowed" message.
>
> It's moronic.
>
> But then so is much software today; I think it reflects that people
> aren't in general promoted for their technical skills, so that in many
> cases people who can imagine that such functionality is good, are those
> who set the rules.

Well, at least for this very case, it appears to be a known bug... some
weeks ago I've struggled a bit to find a mention of it in the TB
BugZilla and right now I have no handy reference... in any case, you
know, crap happens, that's not necessarily sign of incompetence or
deliberate sabotage