Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Generate dictionary with the help of two array

Reply
Thread Tools

Generate dictionary with the help of two array

 
 
IPhone Lover
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-15-2010
Hi Folks

I have two array

keyArr = [@"name",@"city",@"street"]
valueArr = [@"Bob",@"Newyork",@"dallas"]

addDict = {@"name":@"Bob",@"city":@"Newyork",@"street":@"dal las"}

Thanks for your all help..
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Francesco S. Carta
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-15-2010
IPhone Lover <(E-Mail Removed)>, on 15/09/2010 10:35:03, wrote:

[subject is:
"Generate dictionary with the help of two array"
please state your questions in the body of your message]

> Hi Folks
>
> I have two array
>
> keyArr = [@"name",@"city",@"street"]
> valueArr = [@"Bob",@"Newyork",@"dallas"]
>
> addDict = {@"name":@"Bob",@"city":@"Newyork",@"street":@"dal las"}


What language is that? This is comp.lang.c++, I hope you noticed it

There are several different ways to implement (something like) the above
in C++, assuming you're really interested in this language... are you?

In such a case, please describe with greater detail the target you're
aiming to.

--
FSC - http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/59948
http://fscode.altervista.org - http://sardinias.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-15-2010
* IPhone Lover, on 15.09.2010 19:35:
>
> I have two array
>
> keyArr = [@"name",@"city",@"street"]
> valueArr = [@"Bob",@"Newyork",@"dallas"]
>
> addDict = {@"name":@"Bob",@"city":@"Newyork",@"street":@"dal las"}


What programming language is this?

It looks a little like Python, but the at signs are not Python.

I suggest posting in a group dedicated to your programming language.


Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

--
blog at <url: http://alfps.wordpress.com>
 
Reply With Quote
 
IPhone Lover
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2010
On Sep 15, 10:47*pm, "Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet" <alf.p.steinbach
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> * IPhone Lover, on 15.09.2010 19:35:
>
>
>
> > I have two array

>
> > keyArr = [@"name",@"city",@"street"]
> > valueArr = [@"Bob",@"Newyork",@"dallas"]

>
> > addDict = {@"name":@"Bob",@"city":@"Newyork",@"street":@"dal las"}

>
> What programming language is this?
>
> It looks a little like Python, but the at signs are not Python.
>
> I suggest posting in a group dedicated to your programming language.
>
> Cheers & hth.,
>
> - Alf
>
> --
> blog at <url:http://alfps.wordpress.com>


Sorry to all of you messed up, but language does not bound the logic.
I just mention '[]' instead of '()' to declare array.

I have solved the problem by using switch case
int cnt;
for(NSString* s in valueArr){
switch(cnt++):
case 0:
[dict setObject:s forKey:[keyArr objectAtIndex:0]
as on
 
Reply With Quote
 
Francesco S. Carta
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2010
IPhone Lover <(E-Mail Removed)>, on 16/09/2010 01:17:36, wrote:

> On Sep 15, 10:47 pm, "Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet"<alf.p.steinbach
> (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> * IPhone Lover, on 15.09.2010 19:35:
>>
>>
>>
>>> I have two array

>>
>>> keyArr = [@"name",@"city",@"street"]
>>> valueArr = [@"Bob",@"Newyork",@"dallas"]

>>
>>> addDict = {@"name":@"Bob",@"city":@"Newyork",@"street":@"dal las"}

>>
>> What programming language is this?
>>
>> It looks a little like Python, but the at signs are not Python.
>>
>> I suggest posting in a group dedicated to your programming language.
>>
>> Cheers& hth.,
>>
>> - Alf
>>
>> --
>> blog at<url:http://alfps.wordpress.com>

>
> Sorry to all of you messed up, but language does not bound the logic.
> I just mention '[]' instead of '()' to declare array.
>
> I have solved the problem by using switch case
> int cnt;
> for(NSString* s in valueArr){
> switch(cnt++):
> case 0:
> [dict setObject:s forKey:[keyArr objectAtIndex:0]
> as on


Uh... is that an incomplete post or what?

In any case, yes, the language does not bound the logic, but it can be
tricky to understand what exactly you're aiming to if we happen to
ignore the details of the language you're using... maybe you can express
it more clearly in pseudo-code or in plain English.

Here is an example about using std::map to create something along the
lines of your request, this is just one of the possible approaches and
even within the scope of this approach, the steps can be achieved in a
number of different manners.

Get a good C++ manual and don't forget to refer to the C++ FAQ available at:

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq

Good luck learning C++!

//-------
#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <map>

using namespace std;

struct address {
string city;
string street;
};

int main() {
// create the database
// first: string (name, the key of the map)
// second: address (the data associated to the key)
map<string, address> db;

// insert data into the database

// one approach
// add and set the record directly
db["Smith, John"].city = "New York";
db["Smith, John"].street = "42th st.";

// another approach
// create a record
// and assign it to a key
address a = { "Roma", "Via dei Fori Imperiali" };
db["Rossi, Mario"] = a;

// print the database
map<string, address>::iterator it;
for(it = db.begin(); it != db.end(); ++it) {
// one approach
// access to the data
// via iterator members
cout << "Name: " << it->first << endl;
cout << "City: " << it->second.city << endl;
cout << "Street: " << it->second.street << endl;
cout << "---" << endl;

// another approach
// access to the data
// creating references
const string& name = it->first;
address& addr = it->second;
cout << "Nome: " << name << endl;
cout << "Citta': " << addr.city << endl;
cout << "Strada: " << addr.street << endl;
cout << "---" << endl;
}
}
//-------

--
FSC - http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/59948
http://fscode.altervista.org - http://sardinias.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
IPhone Lover
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2010
On Sep 16, 3:50*pm, "Francesco S. Carta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> IPhone Lover <(E-Mail Removed)>, on 16/09/2010 01:17:36, wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > On Sep 15, 10:47 pm, "Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet"<alf.p.steinbach
> > (E-Mail Removed)> *wrote:
> >> * IPhone Lover, on 15.09.2010 19:35:

>
> >>> I have two array

>
> >>> keyArr = [@"name",@"city",@"street"]
> >>> valueArr = [@"Bob",@"Newyork",@"dallas"]

>
> >>> addDict = {@"name":@"Bob",@"city":@"Newyork",@"street":@"dal las"}

>
> >> What programming language is this?

>
> >> It looks a little like Python, but the at signs are not Python.

>
> >> I suggest posting in a group dedicated to your programming language.

>
> >> Cheers& *hth.,

>
> >> - Alf

>
> >> --
> >> blog at<url:http://alfps.wordpress.com>

>
> > Sorry to all of you messed up, but language does not bound the logic.
> > I just mention '[]' instead of '()' to declare array.

>
> > I have solved the problem by using switch case
> > int cnt;
> > for(NSString* s in valueArr){
> > * * switch(cnt++):
> > * * * case 0:
> > * * * * * [dict setObject:s forKey:[keyArr objectAtIndex:0]
> > * * *as on

>
> Uh... is that an incomplete post or what?
>
> In any case, yes, the language does not bound the logic, but it can be
> tricky to understand what exactly you're aiming to if we happen to
> ignore the details of the language you're using... maybe you can express
> it more clearly in pseudo-code or in plain English.
>
> Here is an example about using std::map to create something along the
> lines of your request, this is just one of the possible approaches and
> even within the scope of this approach, the steps can be achieved in a
> number of different manners.
>
> Get a good C++ manual and don't forget to refer to the C++ FAQ available at:
>
> http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq
>
> Good luck learning C++!
>
> //-------
> #include <iostream>
> #include <string>
> #include <map>
>
> using namespace std;
>
> struct address {
> * * *string city;
> * * *string street;
>
> };
>
> int main() {
> * * *// create the database
> * * *// first: string (name, the key of the map)
> * * *// second: address (the data associated to the key)
> * * *map<string, address> db;
>
> * * *// insert data into the database
>
> * * *// one approach
> * * *// add and set the record directly
> * * *db["Smith, John"].city = "New York";
> * * *db["Smith, John"].street = "42th st.";
>
> * * *// another approach
> * * *// create a record
> * * *// and assign it to a key
> * * *address a = { "Roma", "Via dei Fori Imperiali" };
> * * *db["Rossi, Mario"] = a;
>
> * * *// print the database
> * * *map<string, address>::iterator it;
> * * *for(it = db.begin(); it != db.end(); ++it) {
> * * * * *// one approach
> * * * * *// access to the data
> * * * * *// via iterator members
> * * * * *cout << "Name: " << it->first << endl;
> * * * * *cout << "City: " << it->second.city << endl;
> * * * * *cout << "Street: " << it->second.street << endl;
> * * * * *cout << "---" << endl;
>
> * * * * *// another approach
> * * * * *// access to the data
> * * * * *// creating references
> * * * * *const string& name = it->first;
> * * * * *address& addr = it->second;
> * * * * *cout << "Nome: " << name << endl;
> * * * * *cout << "Citta': " << addr.city << endl;
> * * * * *cout << "Strada: " << addr.street << endl;
> * * * * *cout << "---" << endl;
> * * *}}
>
> //-------
>
> --
> * FSC -http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/59948
> *http://fscode.altervista.org-http://sardinias.com


Waa.o great explanation. first of all i appreciate for the link which
you refer me. that's really helpful.
Thanks Francesco
 
Reply With Quote
 
Francesco S. Carta
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-16-2010
IPhone Lover <(E-Mail Removed)>, on 16/09/2010 09:25:49, wrote:

> On Sep 16, 3:50 pm, "Francesco S. Carta"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


<large snip>

>> db["Smith, John"].street = "42th st.";


Heck, make that "42nd"

<another large snip>

> Waa.o great explanation. first of all i appreciate for the link which
> you refer me. that's really helpful.
> Thanks Francesco


You're welcome

--
FSC - http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/59948
http://fscode.altervista.org - http://sardinias.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Performance ordered dictionary vs normal dictionary Navkirat Singh Python 6 07-29-2010 10:18 AM
Re: Performance ordered dictionary vs normal dictionary Chris Rebert Python 0 07-29-2010 06:11 AM
generate dictionary conents from ri for the Apple Dictionary Jaewoong kim Crossbreeze Ruby 1 04-17-2009 05:47 PM
creating a dictionary from a dictionary with regex james_027 Python 1 08-22-2007 07:39 AM
[DICTIONARY] - Copy dictionary entries to attributes Ilias Lazaridis Python 6 02-21-2006 11:27 AM



Advertisments