Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > "Remove the battery when not using the camera."

"Remove the battery when not using the camera."

thanatoid

I recently stepped /even deeper/ into this century, by buying a
digital camera. It is pretty amazing. Of course, it is also
fodder for my carping, since NO ONE needs more than 6 MPs, and
these days, all the cameras costing more than $50 offer 12 or 14
MPs, not to mention the 50 or 60 MP Hasselblad.

Anyway, the instructions say "remove the battery when not in
use".

(Yes, I read instructions, even when they are NOT included with
the camera except on the CD - along with the most absurdly
bloated 80MB [IIRC] and totally unnecessary "software" - and
have to be printed out, all 100+ pages.)

It is also suggested you place the battery in a nice $0.03 piece
of clear plastic thoughtfully provided and proudly bearing the
moniker of "battery case".

I am not aware of any factual reason for removing the battery.
The instruction do not even say "when not using the camera for a
long time". They just say "remove it".

IS there ANY advantage to removing the Li-Ion battery and
placing in the nifty plastic mini-case other than the fact you
are /very/ likely to lose it, thereby being forced to buy a new
one, presumably at the price of the camera itself?

--
"Anytime I hear the word "culture", I get on the Internet."
- a 21st Century Moron

Buffalo

thanatoid wrote:
[snip]
> I am not aware of any factual reason for removing the battery.
> The instruction do not even say "when not using the camera for a
> long time". They just say "remove it".

Well, I sure wouldn't remove it while I WAS using the camera. Ha Ha

> IS there ANY advantage to removing the Li-Ion battery and
> placing in the nifty plastic mini-case other than the fact you
> are /very/ likely to lose it, thereby being forced to buy a new
> one, presumably at the price of the camera itself?

What better reason is there and it will help the economy.

I hope you enjoy it!
Buffalo

thanatoid

"Buffalo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:i6mkfo$bsr$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

<snip>

>> IS there ANY advantage to removing the Li-Ion battery and
>> placing in the nifty plastic mini-case other than the fact
>> you are /very/ likely to lose it, thereby being forced to
>> buy a new one, presumably at the price of the camera
>> itself?

> What better reason is there and it will help the economy.
>

> I hope you enjoy it!
> Buffalo

Thanks for the laugh. I /am/ still getting used to the quantum
leap it represents Vs. the 35mm SLR's I have used in the past...
Amazing...

Did I mention how great the new USB flash drives are? They store
more than HDs used to! And you can carry them...

/sound of loud vinyl scratching/

--
"Anytime I hear the word "culture", I get on the Internet."
- a 21st Century Moron

philo

On 09/13/2010 08:59 PM, thanatoid wrote:
> "Buffalo"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:i6mkfo$bsr$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:
>
> <snip>
>
>>> IS there ANY advantage to removing the Li-Ion battery and
>>> placing in the nifty plastic mini-case other than the fact
>>> you are /very/ likely to lose it, thereby being forced to
>>> buy a new one, presumably at the price of the camera
>>> itself?

>> What better reason is there and it will help the economy.
>>

>> I hope you enjoy it!
>> Buffalo

> Thanks for the laugh. I /am/ still getting used to the quantum
> leap it represents Vs. the 35mm SLR's I have used in the past...
> Amazing...
>
> Did I mention how great the new USB flash drives are? They store
> more than HDs used to! And you can carry them...
>
> /sound of loud vinyl scratching/

It should not hurt anything to leave the battery in the camera.

I'd only take it out if the camera was going to be out of use for more
than a few months. There is a small possibility it could leak.

thanatoid

philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:i6mnm3$kpc$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

<snip>

> It should not hurt anything to leave the battery in the
> camera.
>
> I'd only take it out if the camera was going to be out of
> use for more than a few months. There is a small
> possibility it could leak.

Thanks, philo. That makes some sense.

--
"Anytime I hear the word "culture", I get on the Internet."
- a 21st Century Moron

thanatoid

"tom" <8@~.com> wrote in
news:i6mqt1$1c0$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> Can't reply to specifics about dig cameras but personally
> I've lost 2 remotes in the last 10 years to brand name
> batteries leaking.

We all have, although a good cleaning will fix the problem.

Remotes use AA or (the stupid) AAA batteries, and if you use
anything but alkalines, preferably Costco (better than Duracell
at price), *all* regular/cheap batts will leak eventually. I
/have/ seen a few alkalines leak, but it is very rare.

--
"Anytime I hear the word "culture", I get on the Internet."
- a 21st Century Moron

tom

"thanatoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "tom" <8@~.com> wrote in
> news:i6mqt1$1c0$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:
>

>> Can't reply to specifics about dig cameras but personally
>> I've lost 2 remotes in the last 10 years to brand name
>> batteries leaking.

> We all have, although a good cleaning will fix the problem.

I use nothing but alkaline batteries. No amount of "cleaning" was able to
salvage either remote. I sent the leaking batteries and damaged remotes to
bat manufacturer and was issued a partial (about 75%) refund to replace
remotes. Would hate to have to eat 25% of the cost of a new camera.

VanguardLH

thanatoid wrote:

> I recently stepped /even deeper/ into this century, by buying a
> digital camera. It is pretty amazing. Of course, it is also
> fodder for my carping, since NO ONE needs more than 6 MPs, and
> these days, all the cameras costing more than $50 offer 12 or 14
> MPs, not to mention the 50 or 60 MP Hasselblad.
>
> Anyway, the instructions say "remove the battery when not in
> use".
>
> (Yes, I read instructions, even when they are NOT included with
> the camera except on the CD - along with the most absurdly
> bloated 80MB [IIRC] and totally unnecessary "software" - and
> have to be printed out, all 100+ pages.)
>
> It is also suggested you place the battery in a nice $0.03 piece
> of clear plastic thoughtfully provided and proudly bearing the
> moniker of "battery case".
>
> I am not aware of any factual reason for removing the battery.
> The instruction do not even say "when not using the camera for a
> long time". They just say "remove it".
>
> IS there ANY advantage to removing the Li-Ion battery and
> placing in the nifty plastic mini-case other than the fact you
> are /very/ likely to lose it, thereby being forced to buy a new
> one, presumably at the price of the camera itself?

You've never had batteries leak?

Your suggestion (in your other post) of just cleaning up after the mess
doesn't work. First, you won't be catching the batteries when they
first start leaking. They will have been there for months corroding
away the metals. You cleaning the contacts wears them down even further
and you cannot remove all the corrosion, plus you'll probably end up
removing the protective plating (if the corrosion didn't already do so).

So you think you can clean the contacts. Are you also going to fully
dismantle the case to make sure you remove any electrolyte that has
oozed inside the case? After all, just go take a look at the recess in
which the batteries reside in the camera case. Are your fingers really
that skinny or your control over picking tools so great that you truly
believe you can clean the contacts at the deep end of the recess?

They probably didn't give a reason because they figured anyone old
enough to use a digital camera already knows about what happens when
batteries leak and the damage caused therefrom that cleaning will not
fix.

Lithium battery leakage occurs less often due to their longer shelf life
than for alkaline batteries. However, the manufacturer has no control
over what type of batteries you put inside their product. Just because
you happen to use lithium batteries doesn't mean other consumers don't
use alkaline batteries. All batteries go dead. Dead batteries leak.
Li-ion batteries will leak, too.

http://knol.google.com/k/everything-...ttery-leakage#

thanatoid

VanguardLH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:i6n3lj$pfk$(E-Mail Removed):

<snip>

> You've never had batteries leak?

Of course, but I have never owned a Li-Ion battery and I have
not heard of them leaking, or even having anything that COULD
leak inside them.

> Your suggestion (in your other post) of just cleaning up
> after the mess doesn't work.

It works for me, YMobviouslyV.

> First, you won't be catching
> the batteries when they first start leaking. They will
> have been there for months corroding away the metals. You
> cleaning the contacts wears them down even further

Which contacts? The "heavy duty" or alkaline battery is history,
and the metal contacts in the unit can handle both corrosion AND
cleaning, and if not, they can be replaced for about 50 cents.

> and you
> cannot remove all the corrosion, plus you'll probably end
> up removing the protective plating (if the corrosion didn't
> already do so).

I have yet to see any protective plating on battery contacts in
most equipment using AA batteries. I have never owned a digital
camera before, let alone an AA-powered one, and the button
batteries in my SLRs never leaked. Even my alkalines only leaked
/maybe/ 10 times in my 50+ years of using batteries.

> So you think you can clean the contacts.

I know I can, I have done it about half a dozen times.

> Are you also
> going to fully dismantle the case to make sure you remove
> any electrolyte that has oozed inside the case?

Of course, I have done it about half a dozen times.

> After all,
> just go take a look at the recess in which the batteries
> reside in the camera case. Are your fingers really that
> skinny or your control over picking tools so great that you
> truly believe you can clean the contacts at the deep end of
> the recess?

At this point, there is nothing *to* clean in the tiny Li-Ion
battery compartment in the month-old camera, nor do I think
there ever will be.

Why not stick to the thread title? I was asking about the
curious phrasing of the warning.

> They probably didn't give a reason because they figured
> anyone old enough to use a digital camera already knows
> about what happens when batteries leak and the damage
> caused therefrom that cleaning will not fix.

You greatly overestimate the experience and knowledge of digital
camera users. Many owners over 50 take a few pictures and then
abandon the camera because they either forget they have it or
they never looked at the box contents (never mind read the
manual, printed or otherwise) and therefore do not know how to
connect the camera to their computer.

The person I am speaking of, who has done BOTH, has had the
camera with two AA alkalines in it sitting on his shelf for 3
years, with 4 pix in it. The cable is still in the sealed
plastic bag. There is no leakage from the batteries.

Most young people use digital cameras for Faceshit, etc.

> Lithium battery leakage occurs less often due to their
> longer shelf life than for alkaline batteries. However,
> the manufacturer has no control over what type of batteries
> you put inside their product. Just because you happen to
> use lithium batteries doesn't mean other consumers don't
> use alkaline batteries.

I have yet to see a 5.1V alkaline battery which is a 1 x 1.2"
rectangle 1/8" inch thick.

> All batteries go dead. Dead
> batteries leak. Li-ion batteries will leak, too.

Maybe. Will removing them from the camera make a differnce?
Ahhh. That would require addressing the thread subject...

> http://knol.google.com/k/everything-...o-know-about-p
> rimary-battery-leakage#

Thank you.

--
"Anytime I hear the word "culture", I get on the Internet."
- a 21st Century Moron

Desk Rabbit

On 14/09/2010 02:43, thanatoid wrote:
> I recently stepped /even deeper/ into this century, by buying a
> digital camera. It is pretty amazing. Of course, it is also
> fodder for my carping, since NO ONE needs more than 6 MPs, and

Except those taking pictures that are likely to be blown up to billboard
size when 6MP will probably look a bit rough