Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: problem with code - and code wariors

Re: problem with code - and code wariors

Jukka K. Korpela

thedarkman wrote:

> Stupid doesn't come into it. The word you should use is ignorant.

Errare humanum est, diabolicum in errore perseverare.

> And I still cannot see one reason why the Red colour should change
> there, and only in Firefox.

You throw grossly malformed data at a browser and you wonder why it does not
do what you expect? That's common. What's peculiar here is that you refuse
to learn anything about HTML, yet keep posting to alt.html.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Mike Duffy

"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Oyujo.22148$(E-Mail Removed):

> ... What's peculiar here is that you refuse to learn
> anything about HTML, yet keep posting to alt.html.

It is not a choice between learning nothing about HTML and learning
everything about HTML.

He is simply content to spend the minimum amout of time possible to
achieve results he considers acceptable. After that, he feels he has
passed the "point of diminishing returns".

I feel the same way about HTML, Javascript, Web Standards, and many
similar branches of the art of website design. I am not a professional;
thus I feel no moral obligation to my employer to learn extra material
just in order to be better prepared for my next assignment. My website
(see signature block) is just for fun.

That being said, I tend to agree with your (unstated) assertion that
his level of effort at understanding HTML is much too low for anyone to
spend a lot of time helping him fix a problem which could probably be
resolved just by running it through an HTML verifier.

--
http://pages.videotron.com/duffym/index.htm

William Gill

On 9/15/2010 8:00 AM, Mike Duffy wrote:
> It is not a choice between learning nothing about HTML and learning
> everything about HTML.
>
> He is simply content to spend the minimum amout of time possible to
> achieve results he considers acceptable. After that, he feels he has
> passed the "point of diminishing returns".
>
> I feel the same way about HTML, Javascript, Web Standards, and many
> similar branches of the art of website design. I am not a professional;
> thus I feel no moral obligation to my employer to learn extra material
> just in order to be better prepared for my next assignment. My website
> (see signature block) is just for fun.
>
> That being said, I tend to agree with your (unstated) assertion that
> his level of effort at understanding HTML is much too low for anyone to
> spend a lot of time helping him fix a problem which could probably be
> resolved just by running it through an HTML verifier.

All well and good, but by his own admission he is ignorant of Swahili.
Do you think he would attempt to publish a limerick in Swahili without
attempting to garner at least modicum of understanding?

As for "diminishing returns" why would anyone hand code, as he says he
does, HTML without understanding any of its most basic structure (i.e.
when and what require closing, block vs inline, what can contain what,
and so on)? I would venture to guess that almost any WYSIWYG editor
would provide a greater return on a lesser investment. After all, as
you state, he isn't interested in "good" markup, only "acceptable" pages.

I tend to agree with your (unstated) assertion that "HTML, Javascript,
Web Standards, and many similar branches of the art of website design",
are not the objective of work (actually the unstated assertion seems to
be directed at those who do seem to think "the art" is the objective.)
Though on the one hand, I sometimes chuckle when I see the debates over
"professional HTML", on the other I realize that as a painter I may
never have anything displayed in the Louvre, or even qualify to paint my
neighbor's wall, but I do know how to use a drop-cloth and masking tape
when I do my own ("just for fun").

Reminds me of what someone once said about the guitar. It is easy to
play, poorly. I wonder if there is an HTML equivalent to air-guitar?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

William Gill wrote:

> Reminds me of what someone once said about the guitar. It is easy to
> play, poorly. I wonder if there is an HTML equivalent to air-guitar?

There once was a web site that came from afar;
Its coding was comparable to an air guitar.
The darkman said with a twang,
Of this, I can't get the hang;
And most of the limericks were far below par!

--
-bts
-If you can't learn to do it well, learn to enjoy doing it badly

dorayme

In article <Xns9DF4517A09978respondinvalidinvali@94.75.214.90 >,
Mike Duffy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:Oyujo.22148$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > ... What's peculiar here is that you refuse to learn
> > anything about HTML, yet keep posting to alt.html.
> >

> It is not a choice between learning nothing about HTML and learning
> everything about HTML.
>
> He is simply content to spend the minimum amout of time possible to
> achieve results he considers acceptable. After that, he feels he has
> passed the "point of diminishing returns".
>
> I feel the same way about HTML, Javascript, Web Standards, and many
> similar branches of the art of website design. I am not a professional;
> thus I feel no moral obligation to my employer to learn extra material
> just in order to be better prepared for my next assignment. My website
> (see signature block) is just for fun.
>
> That being said, I tend to agree with your (unstated) assertion that
> his level of effort at understanding HTML is much too low for anyone to
> spend a lot of time helping him fix a problem which could probably be
> resolved just by running it through an HTML verifier.

Running through an "HTML verifier" is setting the bar a bit too
low. It would be better to learn nothing about HTML and use a
page building facility that allows you to know nothing.

Validation is only one of the probably wise necessary conditions
for a reasonably acceptable job, there are many many others. If
you are wanting more than basic style, and few folk don't, very
basic CSS is another requirement.

Another one, if any images are to be used, is a basic
understanding of how to prepare images, e.g. how to prepare GIFs
and other types of image so they don't look jagged when placed on
the page.

--
dorayme

Mike Duffy

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:i6r0gn$dlp$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> William Gill wrote:
>
>> Reminds me of what someone once said about the guitar. It is
>> easy to play, poorly. I wonder if there is an HTML equivalent to
>> air-guitar?

> There once was a web site that came from afar;
> Its coding was comparable to an air guitar.
> The darkman said with a twang,
> Of this, I can't get the hang;
> And most of the limericks were far below par!

There once was a web site encoded,
With methods that soon were outmoded.
The author it seems,
Had simplistic dreams.
To avoid the hard work he forboded.

--
http://pages.videotron.com/duffym/index.htm

Neredbojias

On 15 Sep 2010, Mike Duffy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:i6r0gn$dlp$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:
>
>> William Gill wrote:
>>
>>> Reminds me of what someone once said about the guitar. It is
>>> easy to play, poorly. I wonder if there is an HTML equivalent to
>>> air-guitar?

>> There once was a web site that came from afar;
>> Its coding was comparable to an air guitar.
>> The darkman said with a twang,
>> Of this, I can't get the hang;
>> And most of the limericks were far below par!
>>

> There once was a web site encoded,
> With methods that soon were outmoded.
> The author it seems,
> Had simplistic dreams.
> To avoid the hard work he forboded.

There once was a man from the dark
Who made a web site as a lark.
But when a fell error
Appeared to his terror,
He simply did mewl, whine, and snark.

--
Neredbojias

http://www.neredbojias.org/
http://www.neredbojias.net/

Mike Duffy

Neredbojias <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> There once was a man from the dark
> Who made a web site as a lark.
> But when a fell error
> Appeared to his terror,
> He simply did mewl, whine, and snark.

The problem with standards and rules,
Is not their exposure in schools.
It's lack of their practice,
By those who have wracked us,
With markup code written by fools.
--

Ed Mullen wrote:

> Ok, I haven't even had drink yet ... this is not good!

Four line limericks? No, that is not good! Get that drink!

--
-bts

Neredbojias

On 15 Sep 2010, Mike Duffy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Neredbojias <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
>> There once was a man from the dark
>> Who made a web site as a lark.
>> But when a fell error
>> Appeared to his terror,
>> He simply did mewl, whine, and snark.

> The problem with standards and rules,
> Is not their exposure in schools.
> It's lack of their practice,
> By those who have wracked us,
> With markup code written by fools.

Indeed, I believe you did crack it:
There's knowledge and people who lack it.
A man who would wrack us
Or otherwise jack us
Should best just go somewhere and whack it.

--
Neredbojias

http://www.neredbojias.org/
http://www.neredbojias.net/