Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Boot partition/system partition (XP-Pro SP3).

Boot partition/system partition (XP-Pro SP3).

ian field

XP-Pro SP3.

My first physical drive has 2 partitions which disk management tells me C:\
is a boot partition and F:\ is a system partition.

I would like to rename F:\ to D:\, so I unplugged all but the first physical
drive and opened disk management - which refused to let me re designate F:\
because its a system dive.

Currently I'm moving everything on F:\ to another drive, but I have this
feeling that disk management won't let me format the partition either.

How do I remove system status from this partition?

Thanks.

Meat Plow

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 18:34:14 +0100, ian field wrote:

> XP-Pro SP3.
>
> My first physical drive has 2 partitions which disk management tells me
> C:\ is a boot partition and F:\ is a system partition.
>
> I would like to rename F:\ to D:\, so I unplugged all but the first
> physical drive and opened disk management - which refused to let me re
> designate F:\ because its a system dive.
>
> Currently I'm moving everything on F:\ to another drive, but I have this
> feeling that disk management won't let me format the partition either.
>
> How do I remove system status from this partition?
>
> Thanks.

Use a 3rd party partition manager/disk management tool. Google it.

philo

On 09/13/2010 12:34 PM, ian field wrote:
> XP-Pro SP3.
>
> My first physical drive has 2 partitions which disk management tells me C:\
> is a boot partition and F:\ is a system partition.
>
> I would like to rename F:\ to D:\, so I unplugged all but the first physical
> drive and opened disk management - which refused to let me re designate F:\
> because its a system dive.
>
> Currently I'm moving everything on F:\ to another drive, but I have this
> feeling that disk management won't let me format the partition either.
>
> How do I remove system status from this partition?
>
> Thanks.

You cannot re-assign the drive letters of either a boot volume or a
system partition unless you re-install Windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314470

chuckcar

"ian field" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newsgtjo.154588$(E-Mail Removed)2:

> XP-Pro SP3.
>
> My first physical drive has 2 partitions which disk management tells
> me C:\ is a boot partition and F:\ is a system partition.
>
> I would like to rename F:\ to D:\, so I unplugged all but the first
> physical drive and opened disk management - which refused to let me re
> designate F:\ because its a system dive.
>
> Currently I'm moving everything on F:\ to another drive, but I have
> this feeling that disk management won't let me format the partition
> either.
>
> How do I remove system status from this partition?

Why don't you just label the drives? You simply can't just change the drive
letters anymore than you can change which plug a ps/2 keyboard uses.

Any attempt to change the letter of a drive will completely screw up any
software you've install which uses such drives at all.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

rf

"chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Any attempt to change the letter of a drive will completely screw up any
> software you've install which uses such drives at all.

And which software might that be?

ian field

"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jOJjo.6400$(E-Mail Removed) nd.com...

> "chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>> Any attempt to change the letter of a drive will completely screw up any
>> software you've install which uses such drives at all.

> And which software might that be?

Xnews

ian field

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). I.am...
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 18:34:14 +0100, ian field wrote:
>
>> XP-Pro SP3.
>>
>> My first physical drive has 2 partitions which disk management tells me
>> C:\ is a boot partition and F:\ is a system partition.
>>
>> I would like to rename F:\ to D:\, so I unplugged all but the first
>> physical drive and opened disk management - which refused to let me re
>> designate F:\ because its a system dive.
>>
>> Currently I'm moving everything on F:\ to another drive, but I have this
>> feeling that disk management won't let me format the partition either.
>>
>> How do I remove system status from this partition?
>>
>> Thanks.

> Use a 3rd party partition manager/disk management tool. Google it.

Partition wizard allowed me to delete the errant system partition, but not
surprisingly that rendered the boot partition un-bootable - much time was
wasted trying to get partition wizard to repair it.

Windows install announced that windows was damaged and offered to repair it,
I accepted and it doesn't seem to have done too much damage.

So now I'm waiting for the unpartitioned drive to format so it can be
assigned to a consecutive drive letter after the boot partition.

chuckcar

"ian field" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:wyKjo.76643$(E-Mail Removed)2:

> "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jOJjo.6400$(E-Mail Removed) nd.com...
>>
>> "chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>>> Any attempt to change the letter of a drive will completely screw up
>>> any software you've install which uses such drives at all.

>> And which software might that be?

> Xnews

Only the start menu entry in that case. But *any* program you actually
install could easily be affected. This isn't nonsence, despite what some
kiddie troll here implies. You've been shown proof of that - from
Microsoft FCS.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Meat Plow

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 21:00:24 +0100, ian field wrote:

> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed). I.am...
>> On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 18:34:14 +0100, ian field wrote:
>>
>>> XP-Pro SP3.
>>>
>>> My first physical drive has 2 partitions which disk management tells
>>> me C:\ is a boot partition and F:\ is a system partition.
>>>
>>> I would like to rename F:\ to D:\, so I unplugged all but the first
>>> physical drive and opened disk management - which refused to let me re
>>> designate F:\ because its a system dive.
>>>
>>> Currently I'm moving everything on F:\ to another drive, but I have
>>> this feeling that disk management won't let me format the partition
>>> either.
>>>
>>> How do I remove system status from this partition?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>> Use a 3rd party partition manager/disk management tool. Google it.

> Partition wizard allowed me to delete the errant system partition, but
> not surprisingly that rendered the boot partition un-bootable - much
> time was wasted trying to get partition wizard to repair it.
>
> Windows install announced that windows was damaged and offered to repair
> it, I accepted and it doesn't seem to have done too much damage.
>
> So now I'm waiting for the unpartitioned drive to format so it can be
> assigned to a consecutive drive letter after the boot partition.

FIXBOOT / FIXMBR from the recovery console. Shouldn't need to waste much
time.

ian field

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). I.am...
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 21:00:24 +0100, ian field wrote:
>
>> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed). I.am...

>>> Use a 3rd party partition manager/disk management tool. Google it.

>> Partition wizard allowed me to delete the errant system partition, but
>> not surprisingly that rendered the boot partition un-bootable - much
>> time was wasted trying to get partition wizard to repair it.
>>
>> Windows install announced that windows was damaged and offered to repair
>> it, I accepted and it doesn't seem to have done too much damage.
>>
>> So now I'm waiting for the unpartitioned drive to format so it can be
>> assigned to a consecutive drive letter after the boot partition.

> FIXBOOT / FIXMBR from the recovery console. Shouldn't need to waste much
> time.

Tried those - evidently some system files or whatever were on the system
partition, and recovery console didn't feel inclined to place them on the
boot partition.