Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Re: Why is RAII called RAII?

Re: Why is RAII called RAII?

cpp4ever

On 09/12/2010 06:37 PM, Rolf Magnus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> RAII stands for "resource acquistion is initialization", but it seems
> unlogicyl to me since the concept is not at all about acquiring resources,
> but rather about releasing them as part of the deinitialization
> (destructor). In fact, in many cases, the resources at not acquired at
> initialization time but later on during object lifetime. So why is it called
> RAII after all?

Why is Microsoft so named,being a good code bloater?

cpp4ever

BGB / cr88192

"cpp4ever" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sicjo.47111$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> On 09/12/2010 06:37 PM, Rolf Magnus wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> RAII stands for "resource acquistion is initialization", but it seems
>> unlogicyl to me since the concept is not at all about acquiring
>> resources,
>> but rather about releasing them as part of the deinitialization
>> (destructor). In fact, in many cases, the resources at not acquired at
>> initialization time but later on during object lifetime. So why is it
>> called
>> RAII after all?
>>

> Why is Microsoft so named,being a good code bloater?

it comes from "Microcomputer"...

I think the term "Desktop PC" came along somewhat later (I don't know when
exactly, maybe "IBM PC" leads to "IBM PC compatible" and "Desktop PC" as a
generalization?...).

or such...