Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Senior lesson for the day

Senior lesson for the day

OldGringo38

A lawyer and a senior citizen are sitting next to each other on
a long flight.

The lawyer is thinking that seniors are so dumb that he could
get one over on them easy.

So the lawyer asks if the senior would like to play a fun game.

The senior is tired and just wants to take a nap, so he
politely declines and tries to catch a few winks.

The lawyer persists, saying that the game is a lot of fun. I
ask you a question, and if you don't know the answer, you pay me only
$5. Then you ask me one, and if I don't know the answer, I will pay you
$500, he says.

This catches the senior's attention and, to keep the lawyer
quiet, he agrees to play the game.

The lawyer asks the first question. 'What's the distance
from the Earth to the Moon?'

The senior doesn't say a word, but reaches into his pocket,
pulls out a five-dollar bill, and hands it to the lawyer.

Now it's the senior's turn. He asks the lawyer, 'What goes
up a hill with three legs, and comes down with four?'

The lawyer uses his laptop and searches all references he
can find on the Net.

He sends e-mails to all the smart friends he knows; all to
no avail. After an hour of searching, he finally gives up.

He wakes the senior and hands him $500. The senior pockets
the $500 and goes right back to sleep.

The lawyer is going nuts not knowing the answer. He wakes
the senior up and asks, 'Well, so what goes up a hill with three legs
and comes down with four?'

The senior reaches into his pocket, hands the lawyer $5,
and goes back to sleep.
--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere

richard

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 21:19:18 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:

> A lawyer and a senior citizen are sitting next to each other on
> a long flight.
>
> The lawyer is thinking that seniors are so dumb that he could
> get one over on them easy.
>
> So the lawyer asks if the senior would like to play a fun game.
>
> The senior is tired and just wants to take a nap, so he
> politely declines and tries to catch a few winks.
>
> The lawyer persists, saying that the game is a lot of fun. I
> ask you a question, and if you don't know the answer, you pay me only
> $5. Then you ask me one, and if I don't know the answer, I will pay you
> $500, he says.
>
> This catches the senior's attention and, to keep the lawyer
> quiet, he agrees to play the game.
>
> The lawyer asks the first question. 'What's the distance
> from the Earth to the Moon?'
>
> The senior doesn't say a word, but reaches into his pocket,
> pulls out a five-dollar bill, and hands it to the lawyer.
>
> Now it's the senior's turn. He asks the lawyer, 'What goes
> up a hill with three legs, and comes down with four?'
>
> The lawyer uses his laptop and searches all references he
> can find on the Net.
>
> He sends e-mails to all the smart friends he knows; all to
> no avail. After an hour of searching, he finally gives up.
>
> He wakes the senior and hands him $500. The senior pockets
> the $500 and goes right back to sleep.
>
> The lawyer is going nuts not knowing the answer. He wakes
> the senior up and asks, 'Well, so what goes up a hill with three legs
> and comes down with four?'
>
> The senior reaches into his pocket, hands the lawyer $5,
> and goes back to sleep.

I heard this years ago and there was an answer to it. But I have no clues
now what it is.

My parents went on a trip that went through the panama canal. As a game one
of the officers of the ship asked a set of questions, with the winner
getting a free drink. My dad got 3 free drinks out of it.
I kind of recall two of the questions.
1) what is the largest single sporting event?
2) how long will it take the ship to reach the other end of the canal?

1 may not be worded correctly but the answer is the Indianapolis 500 race.
For 2 he gave something like 8 and a half hours and was off only by a few
minutes.

OldGringo38

On 9/11/2010 9:52 PM Just to please that super-ego, richard wrote the
following tidbit of information:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 21:19:18 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
>
>> A lawyer and a senior citizen are sitting next to each other on
>> a long flight.
>>

> I heard this years ago and there was an answer to it.

<g>
--

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 23:23:30 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:

> On 9/11/2010 9:52 PM Just to please that super-ego, richard wrote the
> following tidbit of information:
>> On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 21:19:18 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
>>
>>> A lawyer and a senior citizen are sitting next to each other on
>>> a long flight.
>>>

>> I heard this years ago and there was an answer to it.

> <g>

found some interesting answers using google.

joevan

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A lawyer and a senior citizen are sitting next to each other on
>a long flight.
>
> The lawyer is thinking that seniors are so dumb that he could
>get one over on them easy.
>
> So the lawyer asks if the senior would like to play a fun game.
>
> The senior is tired and just wants to take a nap, so he
>politely declines and tries to catch a few winks.
>
> The lawyer persists, saying that the game is a lot of fun. I
>ask you a question, and if you don't know the answer, you pay me only
>$5. Then you ask me one, and if I don't know the answer, I will pay you
>$500, he says.
>
> This catches the senior's attention and, to keep the lawyer
>quiet, he agrees to play the game.
>
> The lawyer asks the first question. 'What's the distance
>from the Earth to the Moon?'
>
> The senior doesn't say a word, but reaches into his pocket,
>pulls out a five-dollar bill, and hands it to the lawyer.
>
> Now it's the senior's turn. He asks the lawyer, 'What goes
>up a hill with three legs, and comes down with four?'
>
> The lawyer uses his laptop and searches all references he
>can find on the Net.
>
> He sends e-mails to all the smart friends he knows; all to
>no avail. After an hour of searching, he finally gives up.
>
> He wakes the senior and hands him $500. The senior pockets
>the $500 and goes right back to sleep.
>
> The lawyer is going nuts not knowing the answer. He wakes
>the senior up and asks, 'Well, so what goes up a hill with three legs
>and comes down with four?'
>
> The senior reaches into his pocket, hands the lawyer $5,
>and goes back to sleep.

That proves it. Lawyers ain't so smart.

Bucky Breeder

OldGringo38 <(E-Mail Removed)> via news:i6hdb9$sko$(E-Mail Removed)-
september.org:

> A lawyer and a senior citizen are sitting next to each other on
> a long flight.
>
> The lawyer is thinking that seniors are so dumb that he could
> get one over on them easy.
>
> So the lawyer asks if the senior would like to play a fun game.
>
> The senior is tired and just wants to take a nap, so he
> politely declines and tries to catch a few winks.
>
> The lawyer persists, saying that the game is a lot of fun. I
> ask you a question, and if you don't know the answer, you pay me only
> $5. Then you ask me one, and if I don't know the answer, I will pay you
> $500, he says.
>
> This catches the senior's attention and, to keep the lawyer
> quiet, he agrees to play the game.
>
> The lawyer asks the first question. 'What's the distance
> from the Earth to the Moon?'
>
> The senior doesn't say a word, but reaches into his pocket,
> pulls out a five-dollar bill, and hands it to the lawyer.
>
> Now it's the senior's turn. He asks the lawyer, 'What goes
> up a hill with three legs, and comes down with four?'
>
> The lawyer uses his laptop and searches all references he
> can find on the Net.
>
> He sends e-mails to all the smart friends he knows; all to
> no avail. After an hour of searching, he finally gives up.
>
> He wakes the senior and hands him $500. The senior pockets
> the $500 and goes right back to sleep.
>
> The lawyer is going nuts not knowing the answer. He wakes
> the senior up and asks, 'Well, so what goes up a hill with three legs
> and comes down with four?'
>
> The senior reaches into his pocket, hands the lawyer $5,
> and goes back to sleep.

When I heard it the "lawyer" was a Baptist Pastor...
(I always wondered if the senior had one of those
yellow counterfeit-pens like they use at Macy's)

Please get your facts correct before posting in the future.

HTH.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and this free speech message
was transmitted through the Draconian censorship blockades!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20015629-71.html

http://www.boingboing.net/Smoky_The_Nanobot.jpg

OldGringo38

On 9/12/2010 8:10 AM Just to please that super-ego, Anyolmouse wrote the
following tidbit of information:

> "OldGringo38"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:i6ifme$7r8$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> On 9/12/2010 3:15 AM Just to please that super-ego, joevan wrote the
>> following tidbit of information:
>>> On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 21:19:18 -0500, OldGringo38
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> <Snipped.>
>

>> I've heard they fall in the same bracket as a used car salesman.<g>
>>
>> --
>> OldGringo38
>> Just West Of Nowhere
>> Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
>> Support Bacteria: They're the only culture some people have.

> Or politicians-<G>

right on,

--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

OldGringo38

On 9/12/2010 8:48 AM Just to please that super-ego, Bucky Breeder wrote
the following tidbit of information:
> OldGringo38<(E-Mail Removed)> via news:i6hdb9$sko$(E-Mail Removed)-
> september.org:
>

>> A lawyer and a senior citizen are sitting next to each other on
>> a long flight.
>>
>> The lawyer is thinking that seniors are so dumb that he could
>> get one over on them easy.
>>
>> So the lawyer asks if the senior would like to play a fun game.
>>
>> The senior is tired and just wants to take a nap, so he
>> politely declines and tries to catch a few winks.
>>
>> The lawyer persists, saying that the game is a lot of fun. I
>> ask you a question, and if you don't know the answer, you pay me only
>> $5. Then you ask me one, and if I don't know the answer, I will pay you
>> $500, he says.
>>
>> This catches the senior's attention and, to keep the lawyer
>> quiet, he agrees to play the game.
>>
>> The lawyer asks the first question. 'What's the distance
>> from the Earth to the Moon?'
>>
>> The senior doesn't say a word, but reaches into his pocket,
>> pulls out a five-dollar bill, and hands it to the lawyer.
>>
>> Now it's the senior's turn. He asks the lawyer, 'What goes
>> up a hill with three legs, and comes down with four?'
>>
>> The lawyer uses his laptop and searches all references he
>> can find on the Net.
>>
>> He sends e-mails to all the smart friends he knows; all to
>> no avail. After an hour of searching, he finally gives up.
>>
>> He wakes the senior and hands him $500. The senior pockets
>> the $500 and goes right back to sleep.
>>
>> The lawyer is going nuts not knowing the answer. He wakes
>> the senior up and asks, 'Well, so what goes up a hill with three legs
>> and comes down with four?'
>>
>> The senior reaches into his pocket, hands the lawyer $5,
>> and goes back to sleep.

> When I heard it the "lawyer" was a Baptist Pastor...
> (I always wondered if the senior had one of those
> yellow counterfeit-pens like they use at Macy's)
>
> Please get your facts correct before posting in the future.
>
> HTH.

Forgot to tell you he had one, and even checks the $1.00 bills. You
know how forgetful us Seniors are, I almost forgot what a dip you are.
Now be off and have a grand day.

--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

NotMe

"joevan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 21:19:18 -0500, OldGringo38
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> A lawyer and a senior citizen are sitting next to each other on
>>a long flight.
>>
>> The lawyer is thinking that seniors are so dumb that he could
>>get one over on them easy.
>>
>> So the lawyer asks if the senior would like to play a fun game.
>>
>> The senior is tired and just wants to take a nap, so he
>>politely declines and tries to catch a few winks.
>>
>> The lawyer persists, saying that the game is a lot of fun. I
>>ask you a question, and if you don't know the answer, you pay me only
>>$5. Then you ask me one, and if I don't know the answer, I will pay you
>>$500, he says.
>>
>> This catches the senior's attention and, to keep the lawyer
>>quiet, he agrees to play the game.
>>
>> The lawyer asks the first question. 'What's the distance
>>from the Earth to the Moon?'
>>
>> The senior doesn't say a word, but reaches into his pocket,
>>pulls out a five-dollar bill, and hands it to the lawyer.
>>
>> Now it's the senior's turn. He asks the lawyer, 'What goes
>>up a hill with three legs, and comes down with four?'
>>
>> The lawyer uses his laptop and searches all references he
>>can find on the Net.
>>
>> He sends e-mails to all the smart friends he knows; all to
>>no avail. After an hour of searching, he finally gives up.
>>
>> He wakes the senior and hands him $500. The senior pockets
>>the $500 and goes right back to sleep.
>>
>> The lawyer is going nuts not knowing the answer. He wakes
>>the senior up and asks, 'Well, so what goes up a hill with three legs
>>and comes down with four?'
>>
>> The senior reaches into his pocket, hands the lawyer $5,
>>and goes back to sleep.

> That proves it. Lawyers ain't so smart.

Smart enough to have several $500 as pocket change.

OldGringo38

On 9/12/2010 10:08 AM Just to please that super-ego, NotMe wrote the
following tidbit of information:
> "joevan"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 21:19:18 -0500, OldGringo38
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> A lawyer and a senior citizen are sitting next to each other on
>>> a long flight.
>>>
>>> The lawyer is thinking that seniors are so dumb that he could
>>> get one over on them easy.
>>>
>>> So the lawyer asks if the senior would like to play a fun game.
>>>
>>> The senior is tired and just wants to take a nap, so he
>>> politely declines and tries to catch a few winks.
>>>
>>> The lawyer persists, saying that the game is a lot of fun. I
>>> ask you a question, and if you don't know the answer, you pay me only
>>> $5. Then you ask me one, and if I don't know the answer, I will pay you
>>> $500, he says.
>>>
>>> This catches the senior's attention and, to keep the lawyer
>>> quiet, he agrees to play the game.
>>>
>>> The lawyer asks the first question. 'What's the distance
>> >from the Earth to the Moon?'
>>>
>>> The senior doesn't say a word, but reaches into his pocket,
>>> pulls out a five-dollar bill, and hands it to the lawyer.
>>>
>>> Now it's the senior's turn. He asks the lawyer, 'What goes
>>> up a hill with three legs, and comes down with four?'
>>>
>>> The lawyer uses his laptop and searches all references he
>>> can find on the Net.
>>>
>>> He sends e-mails to all the smart friends he knows; all to
>>> no avail. After an hour of searching, he finally gives up.
>>>
>>> He wakes the senior and hands him $500. The senior pockets
>>> the $500 and goes right back to sleep.
>>>
>>> The lawyer is going nuts not knowing the answer. He wakes
>>> the senior up and asks, 'Well, so what goes up a hill with three legs
>>> and comes down with four?'
>>>
>>> The senior reaches into his pocket, hands the lawyer $5,
>>> and goes back to sleep.

>> That proves it. Lawyers ain't so smart.

> Smart enough to have several $500 as pocket change.

Maybe he's a drug dealer or robbed a bank, no smarts required. <g>