Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Anyone know where the IE 'History' folder is in XP 64-bit? Thisis nuts....

Re: Anyone know where the IE 'History' folder is in XP 64-bit? Thisis nuts....

philo

On 09/10/2010 11:22 PM, Unhappy wrote:
> I'm having an issue on a fairly new (4 months old) Dell system with
> XP 64-bit OS. I've had some bumps in the road with this OS (getting
> ready to migrate to Win7) but this one baffles me.
>
> My 'visited' links are no longer turning purple. All settings in IE7
> are correct, so it's not there.
>
> Most of the sites I've visited talking about this issue say that if
> the normal fixes don't work, History folder (along with the index.bat)
> are probably corrupted and should be deleted so they can be
> re-generated.
>
> I wasn't thrilled with that idea, but have finally decided I have no
> choice.
>
> Well...there is NO History folder to be found on this machine!
>
> Normally it should be in Doc& Settings/Admin/Local Settings,
> but it is NOT there. Nor is the Temporary Internet Files folder
> either. I know it has to be there, I can view all the temp files from
> the tab in IE, but can't physically access them because I can't find
> the folder.
>
> After Googling for a good 20 minutes, I can't find anyone else that
> has had this issue.
>
> Anyone out there have any ideas?
> (and yes, I have the 'show hidden system folders' checked)

XP-64 has two versions of Internet Explorer

64 bit and 32 bit...

each has their own folder...so it looks like you might have switched
versions without knowing it

philo

On 09/11/2010 06:02 PM, MeAtHome wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 04:34:49 -0500, philo<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On 09/10/2010 11:22 PM, Unhappy wrote:
>>> I'm having an issue on a fairly new (4 months old) Dell system with
>>> XP 64-bit OS. I've had some bumps in the road with this OS (getting
>>> ready to migrate to Win7) but this one baffles me.
>>>
>>> My 'visited' links are no longer turning purple. All settings in IE7
>>> are correct, so it's not there.
>>>
>>> Most of the sites I've visited talking about this issue say that if
>>> the normal fixes don't work, History folder (along with the index.bat)
>>> are probably corrupted and should be deleted so they can be
>>> re-generated.
>>>
>>> I wasn't thrilled with that idea, but have finally decided I have no
>>> choice.
>>>
>>> Well...there is NO History folder to be found on this machine!
>>>
>>> Normally it should be in Doc& Settings/Admin/Local Settings,
>>> but it is NOT there. Nor is the Temporary Internet Files folder
>>> either. I know it has to be there, I can view all the temp files from
>>> the tab in IE, but can't physically access them because I can't find
>>> the folder.
>>>
>>> After Googling for a good 20 minutes, I can't find anyone else that
>>> has had this issue.
>>>
>>> Anyone out there have any ideas?
>>> (and yes, I have the 'show hidden system folders' checked)

>> XP-64 has two versions of Internet Explorer
>>

>> 64 bit and 32 bit...
>>
>> each has their own folder...so it looks like you might have switched
>> versions without knowing it

> This is an interesting response. I just read on an MS page about the
> two versions, which was complete news to me.
>
> I briefly looked around my sys, but couldn't figure out how to switch
> between the two. Do 'you' know how?
> (Remember, I can't find any of the folders relating to either).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896457

philo

On 09/11/2010 08:53 PM, MeAtHome wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 18:06:11 -0500, philo<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On 09/11/2010 06:02 PM, MeAtHome wrote:

>>> This is an interesting response. I just read on an MS page about the
>>> two versions, which was complete news to me.
>>>
>>> I briefly looked around my sys, but couldn't figure out how to switch
>>> between the two. Do 'you' know how?
>>> (Remember, I can't find any of the folders relating to either).

>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896457

> Well a big DUH on my part. Sheesh...but in my stupid defense, I rarely
> use the 'start menu' for anything.
>
> Interestingly enough, turns out I've been using the 32-bit version all
> along, when, here I thought, it was the other way around.
>
> But just for the record, the 'visited links' issue still remains, and
> they are still showing up as 'visited' in the 64-bit version that I've
> never used until now. (I'm trying to get them to show as
> 'purple'...they have recently changed to 'light blue' which is
> difficult to see unless I look close.) What this means is...both
> versions are using the same History folder, which by the way, thanks
> to Agent Ransack, it 'did' find for me. Turns out the folder is
> completely hidden from Explorer view. Crazy.
> And...there is 'no' index.bat, so it looks like I can't fix my
> problem.

Then (at least for trouble-shooting purposes) you need to enable Windows
explorer to see hidden files...you will in fact have an index.dat file.
The hidden history folder (or possibly folders)
will also be visible