Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Anyone know where the IE 'History' folder is in XP 64-bit? This is nuts....

Re: Anyone know where the IE 'History' folder is in XP 64-bit? This is nuts....

chuckcar

Unhappy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I'm having an issue on a fairly new (4 months old) Dell system with
> XP 64-bit OS. I've had some bumps in the road with this OS (getting
> ready to migrate to Win7) but this one baffles me.
>
> My 'visited' links are no longer turning purple. All settings in IE7
> are correct, so it's not there.
>
> Most of the sites I've visited talking about this issue say that if
> the normal fixes don't work, History folder (along with the index.bat)
> are probably corrupted and should be deleted so they can be
> re-generated.
>
> I wasn't thrilled with that idea, but have finally decided I have no
> choice.
>
> Well...there is NO History folder to be found on this machine!
>
> Normally it should be in Doc & Settings/Admin/Local Settings,
> but it is NOT there. Nor is the Temporary Internet Files folder
> either. I know it has to be there, I can view all the temp files from
> the tab in IE, but can't physically access them because I can't find
> the folder.
>
> After Googling for a good 20 minutes, I can't find anyone else that
> has had this issue.
>
> Anyone out there have any ideas?
> (and yes, I have the 'show hidden system folders' checked)

Tools->internet options. Where it always is. *never* delete files
manually under windows unless they're files you downloaded manually
yourself.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

rf

"chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Unhappy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> *never* delete files
> manually under windows unless they're files you downloaded manually
> yourself.

What about a file I have created with, say, my favourite editor?

John Holmes

chuckcar "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Unhappy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I'm having an issue on a fairly new (4 months old) Dell system with
>> XP 64-bit OS. I've had some bumps in the road with this OS (getting
>> ready to migrate to Win7) but this one baffles me.
>>
>> My 'visited' links are no longer turning purple. All settings in IE7
>> are correct, so it's not there.
>>
>> Most of the sites I've visited talking about this issue say that if
>> the normal fixes don't work, History folder (along with the index.bat)
>> are probably corrupted and should be deleted so they can be
>> re-generated.
>>
>> I wasn't thrilled with that idea, but have finally decided I have no
>> choice.
>>
>> Well...there is NO History folder to be found on this machine!
>>
>> Normally it should be in Doc & Settings/Admin/Local Settings,
>> but it is NOT there. Nor is the Temporary Internet Files folder
>> either. I know it has to be there, I can view all the temp files from
>> the tab in IE, but can't physically access them because I can't find
>> the folder.
>>
>> After Googling for a good 20 minutes, I can't find anyone else that
>> has had this issue.
>>
>> Anyone out there have any ideas?
>> (and yes, I have the 'show hidden system folders' checked)
>>

> Tools->internet options. Where it always is. *never* delete files
> manually under windows unless they're files you downloaded manually
> yourself.

Why not? There *are* people in this world who know what each and every
file in windows is supposed to do.

--
<snip>