Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > 3D cube navigation

3D cube navigation

sahilsk

hi, i need to make a 3d cube as a navigation menu.. each face having
separate button .. or effect.
any idea, how can i make one such 3D figures with functionality of
mouse events?

Krister Svanlund

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 9:10 PM, sahilsk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> hi, i need to make a 3d cube as a navigation menu.. each face having
> separate *button .. or effect.
> any idea, *how can i make one such 3D figures with functionality of
> mouse events?

In what environment, what toolkit, for what purpose?

Phlip

On Sep 10, 12:10*pm, sahilsk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> hi, i need to make a 3d cube as a navigation menu.. each face having
> separate *button .. or effect.
> any idea, *how can i make one such 3D figures with functionality of
> mouse events?

omg

If you have to ask, you probably are not ready for the answer!

Is this a personal project, or are you satisfying a customer?

If the latter, is it a desktop project, or a web project?

If a web project, can you use a PNG of a rendered cube? Render it with
PovRay (which is honestly a ton of fun to author in), then use <map>
tags to define clicks on various faces.

From here, the question arises WHY your client wants this. Must the
cube rotate? Is it designed to be user hostile? Must the user rotate
the cube to find the correct menu item?

If you want to spend a couple weeks coding a nice learning project,
you could do a rotating cube in HTML5 using the <canvas> control.
Someone probably has an example out there, but efficient trigonometric
matrix transformations in JavaScript are not for the faint of heart.

If this is for the desktop, get a Python library that wraps something
that wraps OpenGL or DirectX. Or just google for "python 3d cube".

Have fun!

--
Phlip

Steven D'Aprano

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 01:09:00 +0200, Krister Svanlund wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 9:10 PM, sahilsk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> hi, i need to make a 3d cube as a navigation menu.. each face having
>> separate Â*button .. or effect.
>> any idea, Â*how can i make one such 3D figures with functionality of
>> mouse events?

> In what environment, what toolkit, for what purpose?

What do you mean, "what environment"? Surely there's only one? The
Original Poster obviously wants a 3D navigation cube for ksh under
FreeBSD.

*wink*

--
Steven

Tim Chase

On 09/10/10 19:20, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 01:09:00 +0200, Krister Svanlund wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 9:10 PM, sahilsk<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> hi, i need to make a 3d cube as a navigation menu.. each face having
>>> separate button .. or effect.

>> In what environment, what toolkit, for what purpose?

> What do you mean, "what environment"? Surely there's only one? The
> Original Poster obviously wants a 3D navigation cube for ksh under
> FreeBSD.

Drat...all my work on a 3d navigation-cube working under ProDos
on the Apple ][e for naught...what am I gonna do with all these
360k 5.25" floppies now?!

-tkc

rav

On Sep 10, 9:10*pm, sahilsk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> hi, i need to make a 3d cube as a navigation menu.. each face having
> separate *button .. or effect.
> any idea, *how can i make one such 3D figures with functionality of
> mouse events?

One of options is AS3 and Papervision3D - free Flex SDK and many
tutorials are available in the web.