Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: SendKeys and Python 2.7

Re: SendKeys and Python 2.7

Jakson A. Aquino

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 6:26 AM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jakson A.
> Aquino wrote:
>
>> I would like to send code from Vim [1] to R [2] on Microsoft Windows.

> Why such a roundabout way? Why not just run R in a subprocess and feed it a
> script to run?

Emacs with ESS runs R in a subprocess (at least I think it does). Vim
can't do that.

The plugin doesn't simply send code to R. It has many other features
that make it easier to edit R scripts.

Best,

Jakson

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Aquino wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 6:26 AM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jakson
>> A. Aquino wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to send code from Vim [1] to R [2] on Microsoft Windows.

>> Why such a roundabout way? Why not just run R in a subprocess and feed it
>> a script to run?

> Emacs with ESS runs R in a subprocess (at least I think it does). Vim
> can't do that.

Why not?

> The plugin doesn't simply send code to R. It has many other features
> that make it easier to edit R scripts.

But those are editing functions, nothing to do with R.

Jakson A. Aquino

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 7:19 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jakson A.
> Aquino wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 6:26 AM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>>>
>>> Why such a roundabout way? Why not just run R in a subprocess and feed it
>>> a script to run?

>> Emacs with ESS runs R in a subprocess (at least I think it does). Vim
>> can't do that.

> Why not?

I don't know how to embed R into Vim, but I would be grateful if you
could explain how to do it since this could be an opportunity to
improve my plugin.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Aquino wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 7:19 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jakson
>> A. Aquino wrote:

>>> Emacs with ESS runs R in a subprocess (at least I think it does). Vim
>>> can't do that.

>> Why not?

> I don't know how to embed R into Vim ...

I wasn’t saying “embed”, I was saying “run R in a subprocess”.