Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Ugh! Python 3.1.x and MySQL

Ugh! Python 3.1.x and MySQL

fuglyducky

Most of the python books coming out now are Py3K. I just started
programming and have a need to access a MySQL database. I would like
to use Python to do this. Unfortunately, I cannot find anyone that has
created anything that allows my to do this.

I've tried installing an ODBC driver and using sqlalchemy, oursql, and
a few other things with no luck.

So...just wondering if anyone is aware of any libraries/modules that I
can use to connect to a MySQL DB using Python 3.1.x?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to this from both x86 and x64 systems (if
that makes any difference).

Thanks for any input you may have!!!

nn

On Sep 10, 12:27*pm, fuglyducky <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Most of the python books coming out now are Py3K. I just started
> programming and have a need to access a MySQL database. I would like
> to use Python to do this. Unfortunately, I cannot find anyone that has
> created anything that allows my to do this.
>
> I've tried installing an ODBC driver and using sqlalchemy, oursql, and
> a few other things with no luck.
>
> So...just wondering if anyone is aware of any libraries/modules that I
> can use to connect to a MySQL DB using Python 3.1.x?
>
> Ideally, I'd like to be able to this from both x86 and x64 systems (if
> that makes any difference).
>
> Thanks for any input you may have!!!

Google found this:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysq.../topic/3831691

John Nagle

On 9/10/2010 12:57 PM, nn wrote:
> On Sep 10, 12:27 pm, fuglyducky<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Most of the python books coming out now are Py3K. I just started
>> programming and have a need to access a MySQL database. I would like
>> to use Python to do this. Unfortunately, I cannot find anyone that has
>> created anything that allows my to do this.
>>
>> I've tried installing an ODBC driver and using sqlalchemy, oursql, and
>> a few other things with no luck.
>>
>> So...just wondering if anyone is aware of any libraries/modules that I
>> can use to connect to a MySQL DB using Python 3.1.x?
>>
>> Ideally, I'd like to be able to this from both x86 and x64 systems (if
>> that makes any difference).
>>
>> Thanks for any input you may have!!!

> Google found this:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysq.../topic/3831691

That's progress, but it's a fork of MySQLdb.

Can it be checked into the MySQLdb project on SourceForge?

John Nagle

Martin Gregorie

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 09:27:28 -0700, fuglyducky wrote:

> Most of the python books coming out now are Py3K. I just started
> programming and have a need to access a MySQL database. I would like to
> use Python to do this. Unfortunately, I cannot find anyone that has
> created anything that allows my to do this.
>
> I've tried installing an ODBC driver and using sqlalchemy, oursql, and a
> few other things with no luck.
>
> So...just wondering if anyone is aware of any libraries/modules that I
> can use to connect to a MySQL DB using Python 3.1.x?
>
> Ideally, I'd like to be able to this from both x86 and x64 systems (if
> that makes any difference).

You don't say what OS you're using, but if you're on a *NIX, take a look
at pyodbc: http://code.google.com/p/pyodbc/

This Python module is a wrapper for unixODBC and consequently works with
standard MySQL ODBC drivers.

iODBC: http://www.iodbc.org/ is similar

If you want something that's Windows compatible I can't help: I don't use
either Windows or MySQL.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK