Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: tables behave wierdly

Re: tables behave wierdly

rf

rudra wrote:
> On Sep 9, 4:35 pm, "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "rudra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> Dear friends,
>>> I am not vary familiar to html, but managed to wrote one, which
>>> behaves as expected in firefox.
>>> please have a look at
>>> http://bose.res.in/~rudra/aboutme.html

>> That's not a web site. It's a bunch of pictures of text.
>>
>> Here is what it looks like using lynx, a text only browser:
>>
>> <quote>
>> rudra's
>> homepage
>>
>> [img_abtme.png] [here.png]
>> [img_work.png]
>> [img_passion.png]
>> [img_pics.png]
>> [img_main.png]
>> [abtme.png]
>> [img_blog.png]
>> </quote>
>>
>> That is also what the search engines will see. That is also what any
>> visually impaired person will hear or feel.

> I don't know why you cant see the links with it....pictures are there
> as links representation.

*I* can see the words in your images. Lynx can't. Google can't. Blind people
can't. As it's your own personal site you can get away with this. If it were
a commercial site then in some countries (for example .au) it would be
against the law.

Firebug (which you should install if you don't have it already) has an
option to turn images off. When I do I see a totally blank screen. No
information at all. Except for the blue background, that is.

Your web site is nothing but pictures of text. Not real text. Pictures of
text. And you don't even have an alt attribute specified that would replace
the images for those who cannot see the images. Really, the last time I
argued about somebody over this matter was last century. The web has moved
on since then. We now know about usability and accessibility.

As to your actual problem with the left hand nav I had a quick look with
Chrome. Yes, ugly. Why do you specify height=40% for those images of text?
40% of what? The height of the td? The height of, well, whatever? That is
likely your problem.

When you convert those links to real text you won't have the problem anyway

Oh, and why are you using transitional? What are you transitioning from?

I think it's time to get rid of Quanta Plus and learn how to code real HTML.

rudra

Dear rf,
thanks for your suggestion.
As i said, html is not by something I really do very much, can you
give me some suggestion (links/ tutorials) of how I can keep the same
presentation using text?
I also want to get rid of pictures, but don't know how to make the
same effect(shadow, bevel etc with the text). so i used the image.....
Any suggestion on this is really helpful for me.

As far as height is concerned, that's what i got in a tutorial of
w3c.....guess i need to recheck once again.

Jonathan N. Little

rudra wrote:
> Dear rf,
> thanks for your suggestion.
> As i said, html is not by something I really do very much, can you
> give me some suggestion (links/ tutorials) of how I can keep the same
> presentation using text?
> I also want to get rid of pictures, but don't know how to make the
> same effect(shadow, bevel etc with the text). so i used the image.....
> Any suggestion on this is really helpful for me.

Well you can with CSS3 styling, but you must realize that not all
browsers support CSS3, i.e., MSIE users will not see the shadows. Here
is page from a blog that shows examples:

http://www.zenelements.com/blog/css3-text-shadow/

> As far as height is concerned, that's what i got in a tutorial of
> w3c.....guess i need to recheck once again.

Do you mean from w3schools.com? If so, note that w3schools.com has no
association with the W3C of w3.org and their tutorials are full of
errors and do not always present best practices for web design...a
better online source for tutorials is htmldog.com.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed rudra <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:db7cc2ee-6192-44b1-9baa-ca0702fffaf2
@g21g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

> Dear rf,
> thanks for your suggestion.
> As i said, html is not by something I really do very much, can you
> give me some suggestion (links/ tutorials) of how I can keep the same
> presentation using text?

There are plenty of good HTML tutorials, I would start with HTML Dog,
[http://htmldog.com].

> I also want to get rid of pictures, but don't know how to make the
> same effect(shadow, bevel etc with the text). so i used the image.....
> Any suggestion on this is really helpful for me.

Shadows are fine on logos or heading text, and can be done with CSS in
browsers that support it, or you can create an image that does that.
However, it can make regular text difficult to read.

> As far as height is concerned, that's what i got in a tutorial of
> w3c.....guess i need to recheck once again.

Stay away from them, the only thing they have in common with the W3C is
the name. They are not a standards body. This is where you really want
to go:
[http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/]

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Re: tables behave wierdly richard HTML 0 09-09-2010 04:07 PM
Rotor class reverses wierdly Protoman C++ 1 12-30-2006 01:06 PM
How to get database metadata information (i.e. existing tables and columns in tables) Chris Brat Python 5 08-22-2006 05:25 PM
Tables within tables Otuatail HTML 7 08-02-2004 04:42 AM
Text after 2 tables actually appears between 2 tables ! Peter Bassett HTML 3 08-15-2003 06:46 PM

Advertisments