Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: The Canon G12 has *real competition* at last!

Re: The Canon G12 has *real competition* at last!

Bruce

Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nikon has announced the Coolpix 7000, a 10.1 MP competitor for the
>Canon PowerShot G12:
>http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10...nikonp7000.asp
>
>Specs here in .pdf format:
>http://press.nikonusa.com/COOLPIX_P7000_Sell_Sheet.pdf
>
>Looks good!

X-posted to rec.photo.digital

SMS

On 9/9/2010 4:26 AM, Bowser wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 22:45:51 +0100, Bruce<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Bruce<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Nikon has announced the Coolpix 7000, a 10.1 MP competitor for the
>>> Canon PowerShot G12:
>>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10...nikonp7000.asp
>>>
>>> Specs here in .pdf format:
>>> http://press.nikonusa.com/COOLPIX_P7000_Sell_Sheet.pdf
>>>
>>> Looks good!

>> X-posted to rec.photo.digital

> Nikon finally just copied the Canon G series. Why not just name it the
> Nikon G11a? I wonder if it can use Canon flashes?

Given the reputation of the P6000, I'm surprised Nikon is trying again
in this segment. I already see problems with the design of the P7000.

Bruce

Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 22:45:51 +0100, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>>Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Nikon has announced the Coolpix 7000, a 10.1 MP competitor for the
>>>Canon PowerShot G12:
>>>http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10...nikonp7000.asp
>>>
>>>Specs here in .pdf format:
>>>http://press.nikonusa.com/COOLPIX_P7000_Sell_Sheet.pdf
>>>
>>>Looks good!

>>X-posted to rec.photo.digital

>Nikon finally just copied the Canon G series. Why not just name it the
>Nikon G11a? I wonder if it can use Canon flashes?

Who needs flash when the P7000 has low noise up to ISO 3200?

Also, why call it a "G11a" when the P7000 has a far superior optical
viewfinder to any of the Canon G Series?

15-all.

Bruce

>On 2010-09-09 10:22:20 -0700, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>> Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Nikon finally just copied the Canon G series. Why not just name it the
>>> Nikon G11a? I wonder if it can use Canon flashes?
>>>

>> Who needs flash when the P7000 has low noise up to ISO 3200?

>I guess getting ISO 3200 at full resolution using the same size sensor
>as the G11 is one thing. The G11 does a resolution change for low light
>ISO 3200 (2.5MP 1824x1368 732KB from 10MP 3648x2736 1.47 MB) Noisy, but
>usable in a pinch. I would be interested to see some real World ISO
>3200 shots from the P7000.
>Most of the dpreview sample images are at ISO 100 with a couple at ISO
>800 the performance there seems to match the G11. There are no ISO 3200
>samples, and I suspect it will be as noisy at 3200 as the G11. You will
>have captured an image, but not a clean one. I still think the outer
>limit for these small sensors is ISO 1600 in a pinch, but realistically
>topping out at 800.
>

>> Also, why call it a "G11a" when the P7000 has a far superior optical
>> viewfinder to any of the Canon G Series?
>>
>> 15-all.

>It would have been nice if they had put a physically larger 10MP sensor
>in that P7000 so there would be a good reason to buy one as an upgrade
>from my G11. The 720p video makes no difference to me one way or
>another as I hardly use video in any of my cameras which have the
>feature. There are a couple of interesting features, including being
>able to get I-TTL via my SB-800, but not enough for me to spend the
>$500 right now.

I agree, it probably isn't worth trading up to. But for someone
looking to replace an earlier G Series, there is now a real choice.
For someone looking for a high quality "compact" digicam with a
significantly better optical viewfinder, there is now a real choice.

I will try to test a P7000 against my Panasonic Lumix GF-1 at the
earliest opportunity. If the P7000 is as good as I expect it will be,
it will be time to buy one and sell the GF-1.

A 28-200mm lens is too useful to ignore; it will cover everything I
use the GF-1 for - and no need to clean the sensor. I hate cleaning
sensors.

Peter

> On 2010-09-09 10:22:20 -0700, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Nikon finally just copied the Canon G series. Why not just name it the
>>> Nikon G11a? I wonder if it can use Canon flashes?
>>>

>> Who needs flash when the P7000 has low noise up to ISO 3200?

> I guess getting ISO 3200 at full resolution using the same size sensor as
> the G11 is one thing. The G11 does a resolution change for low light ISO
> 3200 (2.5MP 1824x1368 732KB from 10MP 3648x2736 1.47 MB) Noisy, but usable
> in a pinch. I would be interested to see some real World ISO 3200 shots
> from the P7000.
> Most of the dpreview sample images are at ISO 100 with a couple at ISO 800
> the performance there seems to match the G11. There are no ISO 3200
> samples, and I suspect it will be as noisy at 3200 as the G11. You will
> have captured an image, but not a clean one. I still think the outer limit
> for these small sensors is ISO 1600 in a pinch, but realistically topping
> out at 800.
>

>> Also, why call it a "G11a" when the P7000 has a far superior optical
>> viewfinder to any of the Canon G Series?
>>
>> 15-all.

> It would have been nice if they had put a physically larger 10MP sensor in
> that P7000 so there would be a good reason to buy one as an upgrade from
> my G11. The 720p video makes no difference to me one way or another as I
> hardly use video in any of my cameras which have the feature. There are a
> couple of interesting features, including being able to get I-TTL via my
> SB-800, but not enough for me to spend the $500 right now.

When I can get my hands on a sample, (I suspect that will be at PhotoExpo in
October,) I will see for myself and run my own ISO tests. However, I
strongly suspect that 800 may be barely usable.

--
Peter