Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Quirky internet access with wireless adapter

Quirky internet access with wireless adapter

Jeff

This is puzzling to me which is why I am asking the question.

My router is a SMCWBR14-G wireless router (WPA protected, MAC screened,
etc.) and I connect from my laptop (and through it to the web) with a
wireless B Linksys adapter (WPC11). However when I use my new "faster"
Hawking 54G adapter (HWC54G), the connection is quirky - meaning that it
sometimes connects to the internet and sometimes fails to do so. Finally in
exasperation I decided dependability is more important than speed and have
temporarily moved back to the older Linksys B adapter which always connects
with no fuss.

What could be causing this difference? Both adapters are PC Card adapters.
Both PCs are on XP Home SP-2. I have the latest drivers for the Hawking
adapter. Could the problem be incompatibility between the adapter/router,
lower quality in the Hawking adapter, or something else. Is there a way to
track down the problem and correct it so I can dependably use the faster
adapter I bought?

Thanks.