Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > The Decade Of The Developer?

The Decade Of The Developer?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Off-the-shelf apps are no longer enough
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/here-comes-the-decade-of-the-developer/38877>.
More and more we will be needing custom development, and more importantly,
quick custom development. The way I see it, tools oriented towards corporate
herd programmers (Visual whatever Dotnet) aren’t going to be flexible enough
in this environment; instead, we will be depending more and more on dynamic
languages (Python, Ruby, and dare I say it, Bash).

Nik Coughlin

On Sep 8, 11:44*am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> Off-the-shelf apps are no longer enough
> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/here-comes-the-decade-of-the-developer/...>.
> More and more we will be needing custom development, and more importantly,
> quick custom development. The way I see it, tools oriented towards corporate
> herd programmers (Visual whatever Dotnet) aren’t going to be flexible enough
> in this environment; instead, we will be depending more and more on dynamic
> languages (Python, Ruby, and dare I say it, Bash).

With the rise of HTML 5 and related technologies, more like HTML/CSS/
JavaScript

stephen@watkins.net.nz

On Sep 8, 3:24*pm, Nik Coughlin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sep 8, 11:44*am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
>
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> > Off-the-shelf apps are no longer enough
> > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/here-comes-the-decade-of-the-developer/....>.
> > More and more we will be needing custom development, and more importantly,
> > quick custom development. The way I see it, tools oriented towards corporate
> > herd programmers (Visual whatever Dotnet) aren’t going to be flexible enough
> > in this environment; instead, we will be depending more and more on dynamic
> > languages (Python, Ruby, and dare I say it, Bash).

> With the rise of HTML 5 and related technologies, more like HTML/CSS/
> JavaScript

Agreed. HTML5 and related technologies are already being considered
for many of our corporate projects, along with (of course) a few
in .Net.

Simon

On Sep 8, 11:44*am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> Off-the-shelf apps are no longer enough
> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/here-comes-the-decade-of-the-developer/...>.
> More and more we will be needing custom development, and more importantly,
> quick custom development. The way I see it, tools oriented towards corporate
> herd programmers (Visual whatever Dotnet) aren’t going to be flexible enough
> in this environment; instead, we will be depending more and more on dynamic
> languages (Python, Ruby, and dare I say it, Bash).

Anyone know of any large corporate companies using Python en masse for
their projects in this country? There could be, but I don't know of
any.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Nik
Coughlin wrote:

> On Sep 8, 11:44 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand>
> wrote:
>>
>> ... instead, we will be depending more and more on dynamic languages
>> (Python, Ruby, and dare I say it, Bash).

> With the rise of HTML 5 and related technologies, more like HTML/CSS/
> JavaScript

Yeah, them too, as front-end languages. The nice thing about Web-based GUIs
is they’re automatically cross-platform.

Enkidu

> In message
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Nik Coughlin wrote:
>
>> On Sep 8, 11:44 am, Lawrence
>> D'Oliveiro<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>>>
>>> ... instead, we will be depending more and more on dynamic
>>> languages (Python, Ruby, and dare I say it, Bash).

>> With the rise of HTML 5 and related technologies, more like
>> HTML/CSS/ JavaScript

> Yeah, them too, as front-end languages. The nice thing about
> Web-based GUIs is they’re automatically cross-platform.

Yeah, but all they do is shift the problem from "will this run on this
platform" to "will this work on this browser". They are not
automatically 'cross-browser'.

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Nik Coughlin

On Sep 8, 10:46*pm, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 08/09/10 19:44, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
> > In message
> > <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Nik Coughlin wrote:

> >> With the rise of HTML 5 and related technologies, more like
> >> HTML/CSS/ JavaScript

> > Yeah, them too, as front-end languages. The nice thing about
> > Web-based GUIs is they’re automatically cross-platform.

> Yeah, but all they do is shift the problem from "will this run on this
> platform" to "will this work on this browser". They are not
> automatically 'cross-browser'.

While not being automatically cross-browser it's pretty easy to write
web apps that work in any browser, with the proviso that if you want
to support antique versions of IE you have to do a bit of extra work.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <4c876999$(E-Mail Removed)>, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 08/09/10 19:44, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In message
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Nik Coughlin wrote:
>>> With the rise of HTML 5 and related technologies, more like
>>> HTML/CSS/ JavaScript

>> Yeah, them too, as front-end languages. The nice thing about
>> Web-based GUIs is they’re automatically cross-platform.

>Yeah, but all they do is shift the problem from "will this run on this
>platform" to "will this work on this browser". They are not
>automatically 'cross-browser'.

Quite so ... particularly given the standards are often extended and so,
broken. If the standards were, then all *should* be well. At least
theoretically.

Nik Coughlin

On Sep 9, 10:41*am, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Nik Coughlin wrote:

> >> Yeah, but all they do is shift the problem from "will this run on this
> >> platform" to "will this work on this browser". They are not
> >> automatically 'cross-browser'.

> > While not being automatically cross-browser it's pretty easy to write
> > web apps that work in any browser, with the proviso that if you want
> > to support antique versions of IE you have to do a bit of extra work.

> Typically more "advanced" features (like drag and drop) are more difficult
> to make behave on all browsers.

Drag and drop within the browser is trivial, even cross-browser. Drag
and drop from the OS to the browser is another story entirely...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

I wrote:

> More and more we will be needing custom development, and more importantly,
> quick custom development.

Here’s another failure of the centralized big-bang approach to IT
systems development
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/projectfailures/uk-health-service-abandons-massive-it-centralization-plan/10848>:

A new approach to implementation will take a modular approach, allowing
NHS organisations to introduce smaller, more manageable change, in line
with their business requirements and capacity. NHS services will be the
customers of a more plural system of IT embodying the core assumption of
‘connect all’, rather than ‘replace all’ systems.

Smaller-scale changes means more frequent changes. Instead of the top-down
approach of a massive new system rollout every few years (with its
consequent perverse incentives to stick with outdated systems), this will
mean continual rollouts happening at some place in the organization at any
moment.

Systems on this scale are essentially impossible to test completely before
deployment. So why not combine testing and deployment? Let some of your more
savvy staff be the beta testers—having access to the latest and greatest can
be promoted as a status thing, after all. Once it passes their scrutiny, it
can be introduced to the ones that need more handholding—just in time for
the next cool new thing to enter the top of the pipeline. And so it goes.