Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Do Canon's competitors have something like CHDK? Time Lapse, etc?

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Do Canon's competitors have something like CHDK? Time Lapse, etc?

 
 
David J Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2010
"Crash!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>
> Do any of Canon's competitors have something like CHDK?


Perhaps they don't need "something like CHDK"?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
tony cooper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2010
On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 06:00:35 +0100, "David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Crash!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:7b6dnbp7IJpoIBjRnZ2dnUVZ_uWdnZ2d@pghconnect. com...
>>
>> Do any of Canon's competitors have something like CHDK?

>
>Perhaps they don't need "something like CHDK"?


Does anyone? I have yet to see an example of a good photograph that
was taken utilizing the CHDK "features" that was not an image that
could have been taken with an off-the-shelf, unhacked, Canon
point-and-shoot.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Superzooms Still Win
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2010
On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 19:01:51 +1000, "Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>
>"Superzooms Still Win" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 01:26:50 -0400, tony cooper
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 06:00:35 +0100, "David J Taylor"
>>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>>"Crash!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>>news:7b6dnbp7IJpoIBjRnZ2dnUVZ_uWdnZ2d@pghconne ct.com...
>>>>>
>>>>> Do any of Canon's competitors have something like CHDK?
>>>>
>>>>Perhaps they don't need "something like CHDK"?
>>>
>>>Does anyone? I have yet to see an example of a good photograph that
>>>was taken utilizing the CHDK "features" that was not an image that
>>>could have been taken with an off-the-shelf, unhacked, Canon
>>>point-and-shoot.

>>
>> <http://fiveprime.org/hivemind/Tags/CHDK/>
>>
>> Insecure DSLR-TROLL fools never find what they don't want to look for.
>>

>
>LOL, can't find what is never posted anywhere.


Oh, by the way, that link is posted on the main page for the CHDK Wiki. I
know, because I put it there. It's available to anyone that has a sincere
interest in CHDK. That counts out numbnuts DSLR-TROLLS like you, don't it.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Superzooms Still Win
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2010
On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 19:01:51 +1000, "Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>
>"Superzooms Still Win" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 01:26:50 -0400, tony cooper
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 06:00:35 +0100, "David J Taylor"
>>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>>"Crash!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>>news:7b6dnbp7IJpoIBjRnZ2dnUVZ_uWdnZ2d@pghconne ct.com...
>>>>>
>>>>> Do any of Canon's competitors have something like CHDK?
>>>>
>>>>Perhaps they don't need "something like CHDK"?
>>>
>>>Does anyone? I have yet to see an example of a good photograph that
>>>was taken utilizing the CHDK "features" that was not an image that
>>>could have been taken with an off-the-shelf, unhacked, Canon
>>>point-and-shoot.

>>
>> <http://fiveprime.org/hivemind/Tags/CHDK/>
>>
>> Insecure DSLR-TROLL fools never find what they don't want to look for.
>>

>
>LOL, can't find what is never posted anywhere.


Oh, by the way, that link is posted on the main page for the CHDK Wiki. I
know, because I put it there about 2 years ago. It's available to anyone
that has a sincere interest in CHDK. That counts out numbnuts DSLR-TROLLS
like you, don't it.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Sneddon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2010
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony cooper
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>Does anyone? I have yet to see an example of a good photograph that
>was taken utilizing the CHDK "features" that was not an image that
>could have been taken with an off-the-shelf, unhacked, Canon
>point-and-shoot.


I've seen some very nice lightning-strike pictures taken using CHDK to
detect the flash and trigger the recording of the image. I believe there
are custom lightning-flash detectors that can be coupled to conventional
cameras to do the same thing but it's not a standard feature in any
digital camera that I know of, and certainly not in any of the
point-and-shoot range.

I also recall seeing some high-speed "frozen" images that were taken
under conventional lighting rather than using high-speed strobes as is
usual in such cases. For some Canon cameras CHDK allows exposure times
as short as 1/40,000 second, again not something that is conventionally
available even on higher-end cameras.
--
To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon
 
Reply With Quote
 
J. Clarke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2010
On 9/7/2010 1:26 AM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 06:00:35 +0100, "David J Taylor"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "Crash!"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>>>
>>> Do any of Canon's competitors have something like CHDK?

>>
>> Perhaps they don't need "something like CHDK"?

>
> Does anyone? I have yet to see an example of a good photograph that
> was taken utilizing the CHDK "features" that was not an image that
> could have been taken with an off-the-shelf, unhacked, Canon
> point-and-shoot.


Does that include the autotrigger lightning strike photos?

 
Reply With Quote
 
J. Clarke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2010
On 9/7/2010 1:00 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
> "Crash!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>>
>> Do any of Canon's competitors have something like CHDK?

>
> Perhaps they don't need "something like CHDK"?


So how do you do lightning-strike photos with Canon's competitors?

 
Reply With Quote
 
DanP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2010
On Sep 7, 10:30*am, Robert Sneddon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> *I also recall seeing some high-speed "frozen" images that were taken
> under conventional lighting rather than using high-speed strobes as is
> usual in such cases. For some Canon cameras CHDK allows exposure times
> as short as 1/40,000 second, again not something that is conventionally
> available even on higher-end cameras.


So, what aperture will you use for that 1/40,000 sec exposure and how
do you light your subject?
And have you seen anything taken at that speed that is worth looking
at?

DanP
 
Reply With Quote
 
J. Clarke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2010
On 9/7/2010 7:47 AM, DanP wrote:
> On Sep 7, 10:30 am, Robert Sneddon<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I also recall seeing some high-speed "frozen" images that were taken
>> under conventional lighting rather than using high-speed strobes as is
>> usual in such cases. For some Canon cameras CHDK allows exposure times
>> as short as 1/40,000 second, again not something that is conventionally
>> available even on higher-end cameras.

>
> So, what aperture will you use for that 1/40,000 sec exposure and how
> do you light your subject?
> And have you seen anything taken at that speed that is worth looking
> at?


Looking at for what purpose? Hint--someone trying to figure out why his
bullets are tumbling may have a different view of "worth" than someone
who is trying to create a work of photographic art.
 
Reply With Quote
 
David J Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-07-2010
"J. Clarke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[]
> So how do you do lightning-strike photos with Canon's competitors?


One might speculate that the users of those cameras follow the advice
generally available on the Web:

http://www.weatherscapes.com/techniq...page=lightning
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Ho...lightning-4795
http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/weather/lightningtips.htm

but you would have to ask the users yourself to be sure.

Cheers,
David

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Does Cisco have competitors? Derick Winkworth Cisco 2 07-19-2006 02:28 PM
Vonage vs. Competitors in the Home VOIP market Joel VOIP 14 02-26-2004 06:50 PM
Average costs per end user station for Mitel vs competitors hal@nospam.com VOIP 2 02-25-2004 07:08 PM
Re: Canon 10D Competitors' Battery Mark M Digital Photography 2 08-19-2003 10:31 AM
minolta dimage xt vs. competitors nickay420 Digital Photography 2 08-01-2003 09:23 PM



Advertisments