Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Fixing Broken Windows

Fixing Broken Windows

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Secunia are attempting to provide a unified update system for third-party
apps under Windows
<http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Secunia-s-PSI-2-0-beta-tackles-Windows-update-annoyances-1070809.html>.
After over a year’s work, they reckon they’re 15% of the way there.

I wonder how long this effort will last? I imagine most of the vendors of
those proprietary apps aren’t too enthusiastic about this, so Secunia would
be bearing the entire burden of ensuring that its tool keeps up with all
their individual update mechanisms. Where is its business model for
supporting this immense and ever-growing effort? I don’t think it can charge
its customers enough to make it worthwhile.

I can see it being abandoned at some point.