Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Search suggestions in IE ?

Search suggestions in IE ?

Fred

Damned if I can stop IE 8 from providing search suggestions - OS is XP, and
I have turned off option in settings - deleted browsing history, but as soon
as I type in the search box I get a string of 'helpful' suggestions. Anyone
know the solution to stop this?

richard

On Mon, 6 Sep 2010 20:49:30 +1200, Fred wrote:

> Damned if I can stop IE 8 from providing search suggestions - OS is XP, and
> I have turned off option in settings - deleted browsing history, but as soon
> as I type in the search box I get a string of 'helpful' suggestions. Anyone
> know the solution to stop this?

install firefox and ditch IE

rf

"Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i629ut$5tf$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Damned if I can stop IE 8 from providing search suggestions - OS is XP,
> and
> I have turned off option in settings - deleted browsing history, but as
> soon
> as I type in the search box I get a string of 'helpful' suggestions.
> Anyone
> know the solution to stop this?

If you are talking about google, this is a google function and nothing to do
with the browser. And contrary to the opinions of some others in this thread
installing firefox will not help you here.

Up at the top right of the google page you will find "Search settings".
Ativate this. Go to the bit that says "Query Suggestions" and turn it off.
Note that this is saved in a cookie (as is mentioned on the settings page)
and if you have cookies turned off then this will have no effect.

richard

On Mon, 6 Sep 2010 20:49:30 +1200, Fred wrote:

> Damned if I can stop IE 8 from providing search suggestions - OS is XP, and
> I have turned off option in settings - deleted browsing history, but as soon
> as I type in the search box I get a string of 'helpful' suggestions. Anyone
> know the solution to stop this?

You really did not state you were using google as a search engine.
this is a feature of google and can be turned off as mentioned.
I don't mind it actually, as it shows me how others were searching for
similar items.

rf

news:194w29izq53bn$.1d02v3p0zcr2l$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> On Mon, 6 Sep 2010 20:49:30 +1200, Fred wrote:
>
>> Damned if I can stop IE 8 from providing search suggestions - OS is XP,
>> and
>> I have turned off option in settings - deleted browsing history, but as
>> soon
>> as I type in the search box I get a string of 'helpful' suggestions.
>> Anyone
>> know the solution to stop this?

> You really did not state you were using google as a search engine.
> this is a feature of google and can be turned off as mentioned.
> I don't mind it actually, as it shows me how others were searching for
> similar items.

You really are a ****wit aren't you RtS.

VanguardLH

Fred wrote:

> Damned if I can stop IE 8 from providing search suggestions - OS is XP, and
> I have turned off option in settings - deleted browsing history, but as soon
> as I type in the search box I get a string of 'helpful' suggestions. Anyone
> know the solution to stop this?

And these search suggestions are WHERE? In the Address Bar or in the
Search box?

If in the Address Bar, those suggestions are configured in the
AutoComplete settings (Internet Options -> Content tab -> AutoComplete
-> Settings).

If in the Search box, disable the Suggestions feature. Go to Internet
Options -> Programs tab -> Manage Add-ons, select Search Providers. For
each provider listed, select one in the listing pane on the top right.
In the details pane that appears at the bottom, in the "Search
suggestions" pane, click to enable the Disable suggestions feature for
THAT provider. You have to repeat for EACH provider.
(This procedure may duplicate your actions but "turned off settings"
doesn't actually say WHAT you did.)

Regardless of which above you changed, exit IE8, check the Processes tab
in Task Manager to make sure there are NO instances of iexplore.exe
running, and then reload IE8 to test if the behavior has changed. If
not, go back and check the Suggestions settings for each search
provider. If the settings got reverted then you have security software
that disallows changes to the web browser settings. You'll have to
disable that security software, make your changes, and then reenable the
security software (and possibly answer prompts when it detects the
changes).

Fred

"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FR2ho.5655$(E-Mail Removed) ond.com...

> "Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:i629ut$5tf$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> Damned if I can stop IE 8 from providing search suggestions - OS is XP,
>> and
>> I have turned off option in settings - deleted browsing history, but as
>> soon
>> as I type in the search box I get a string of 'helpful' suggestions.
>> Anyone
>> know the solution to stop this?

> If you are talking about google, this is a google function and nothing to
> do with the browser. And contrary to the opinions of some others in this
> thread installing firefox will not help you here.
>
> Up at the top right of the google page you will find "Search settings".
> Ativate this. Go to the bit that says "Query Suggestions" and turn it off.
> Note that this is saved in a cookie (as is mentioned on the settings page)
> and if you have cookies turned off then this will have no effect.

Thanks. Have done that and have not turned off cookies. Sometimes query
suggestions has turned itself back on, but regardless - suggestions still
appear.

Fred

"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FR2ho.5655$(E-Mail Removed) ond.com...

> "Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:i629ut$5tf$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> Damned if I can stop IE 8 from providing search suggestions - OS is XP,
>> and
>> I have turned off option in settings - deleted browsing history, but as
>> soon
>> as I type in the search box I get a string of 'helpful' suggestions.
>> Anyone
>> know the solution to stop this?

> If you are talking about google, this is a google function and nothing to
> do with the browser. And contrary to the opinions of some others in this
> thread installing firefox will not help you here.

P'S' should have added does not happen in google chrome or firefox. Just IE.

chuckcar

"Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:i63k50$sgk$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:FR2ho.5655$(E-Mail Removed) ond.com...
>>
>> "Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:i629ut$5tf$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>> Damned if I can stop IE 8 from providing search suggestions - OS is
>>> XP, and
>>> I have turned off option in settings - deleted browsing history, but
>>> as soon
>>> as I type in the search box I get a string of 'helpful' suggestions.
>>> Anyone
>>> know the solution to stop this?

>> If you are talking about google, this is a google function and
>> nothing to do with the browser. And contrary to the opinions of some
>> others in this thread installing firefox will not help you here.
>>
>> Up at the top right of the google page you will find "Search
>> settings". Ativate this. Go to the bit that says "Query Suggestions"
>> and turn it off. Note that this is saved in a cookie (as is mentioned
>> on the settings page) and if you have cookies turned off then this
>> will have no effect.
>>

> Thanks. Have done that and have not turned off cookies. Sometimes
> query suggestions has turned itself back on, but regardless -
> suggestions still appear.

Is this a dropdown that appears *directly* below the address window
(where http://... appears)? If so, that's autocomplete. It's been in
*all* versions of IE I can recall, going back to at least 4

http://grok.lsu.edu/Article.aspx?articleid=11913

Is how your turn it off. To make it clear, this appears *as* you're
typing and changes with it. The page is a bit confusing. Just uncheck
beside "Address Bar" if you want no search or retrieval of sites with
similar urls that you've gone to before.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

rf

"chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:i63k50$sgk$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:
>

>> "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:FR2ho.5655$(E-Mail Removed) ond.com...
>>>
>>> "Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:i629ut$5tf$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

Let's see... "as soon as I type in the search box".

"search box". Where one types in the searches. No mention at all of the
address bar, where one would type in a URL.

>> Thanks. Have done that and have not turned off cookies. Sometimes
>> query suggestions has turned itself back on, but regardless -
>> suggestions still appear.

Let's see... "query suggestions". Suggestions on the current query. Nope, no
mention of URLs or the address bar here either.

> Is this a dropdown that appears *directly* below the address window
> (where http://... appears)?

Comprehension fail.

WTF does the address bar have to do with the search box?

Moron.