Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > red x indicating not connected yet I have web access

red x indicating not connected yet I have web access

Muse Gruppes

Why is this happening? Using Win 7 Ult.

I've googled everywhere and I can't figure out why the network
connection icon is showing a red x yet I'm connecting to the internet
just fine, one site said it might have to do with network adapters or
something (yes I'm being vague I'm at a loss to as to what's going on)

here's a screenshot that may help (showing hidden devices)

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1020/wans.jpg

I asked this question a few weeks earlier and got no answer that worked,
thought I'd put it out there again to see if anyone can help.

Thanks very much for positive input.

Muse Gruppes

On 9/5/2010 2:50 AM, Muse Gruppes wrote:
> Why is this happening? Using Win 7 Ult.
>
> I've googled everywhere and I can't figure out why the network
> connection icon is showing a red x yet I'm connecting to the internet
> just fine, one site said it might have to do with network adapters or
> something (yes I'm being vague I'm at a loss to as to what's going on)
>
> here's a screenshot that may help (showing hidden devices)
>
> http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1020/wans.jpg
>
> I asked this question a few weeks earlier and got no answer that worked,
> thought I'd put it out there again to see if anyone can help.
>
> Thanks very much for positive input.

I DID IT!!! Somehow after weeeeeeeeeeeeks of tinkering I went through
SERVICES and manually started some services that looked like they should
not be disabled (nothing drastic like remote registry har har) anyway,
things related to network connectivity, so I went to network connections
and something appeared listed that was never there before!

Connections: Local area connection 2

for some reason it's not listed after doing a bit of tinkering, trouble
is I don't remember what one thing (or two) I did that made the red x go
away and have things back to normal.

I feel like a finished a marathon.... lol

Muse Gruppes

On 9/5/2010 2:50 AM, Muse Gruppes wrote:
> Why is this happening? Using Win 7 Ult.
>
> I've googled everywhere and I can't figure out why the network
> connection icon is showing a red x yet I'm connecting to the internet
> just fine, one site said it might have to do with network adapters or
> something (yes I'm being vague I'm at a loss to as to what's going on)
>
> here's a screenshot that may help (showing hidden devices)
>
> http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1020/wans.jpg
>
> I asked this question a few weeks earlier and got no answer that worked,
> thought I'd put it out there again to see if anyone can help.
>
> Thanks very much for positive input.

I DID IT!!! Somehow after weeeeeeeeeeeeks of tinkering I went through
SERVICES and manually started some services that looked like they should
not be disabled (nothing drastic like remote registry har har) anyway,
things related to network connectivity, so I went to network connections
and something appeared listed that was never there before!

Connections: Local area connection 2

for some reason it's not listed after doing a bit of tinkering, trouble
is I don't remember what one thing (or two) I did that made the red x go
away and have things back to normal.

I feel like a finished a marathon.... lol

Tony

Whether it's fixed or not is irrelevant. Delete *all* the drivers to your
ethernet card then delete all your connections to the internet then reboot.
Now windows should *install* all the relevant drivers. Speaking of drivers
the last time i drove my car it collapsed on a side street.
I'm Chuckcar aka Chuck Carlson and i approve of this post!

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

manners

Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day
on the job for potty mouth,

the realm of understandability

chuckcar

Muse Gruppes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:i5vej1$6lk$(E-Mail Removed):

> Why is this happening? Using Win 7 Ult.
>
> I've googled everywhere and I can't figure out why the network
> connection icon is showing a red x yet I'm connecting to the internet
> just fine, one site said it might have to do with network adapters or
> something (yes I'm being vague I'm at a loss to as to what's going on)
>
> here's a screenshot that may help (showing hidden devices)
>
> http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1020/wans.jpg
>
> I asked this question a few weeks earlier and got no answer that
> worked, thought I'd put it out there again to see if anyone can help.
>
> Thanks very much for positive input.

Exactly *how* many network cards do you *have* on that computer?

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Mike Yetto

chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> writes and having writ moves on.
>Muse Gruppes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:i5vej1$6lk$(E-Mail Removed):

>> Why is this happening? Using Win 7 Ult.
>>
>> I've googled everywhere and I can't figure out why the network
>> connection icon is showing a red x yet I'm connecting to the internet
>> just fine, one site said it might have to do with network adapters or
>> something (yes I'm being vague I'm at a loss to as to what's going on)
>>
>> here's a screenshot that may help (showing hidden devices)
>>
>> http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1020/wans.jpg
>>
>> I asked this question a few weeks earlier and got no answer that
>> worked, thought I'd put it out there again to see if anyone can help.
>>
>> Thanks very much for positive input.

>Exactly *how* many network cards do you *have* on that computer?

There's a good chance that he has two, wired and wireless. The
status displayed was probably for the one that was disabled.

Mike "two coins totaling 35 cents, one isn't a quarter" Yetto
In practice they are not.

chuckcar

Mike Yetto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> writes and having writ moves on.
>>Muse Gruppes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:i5vej1$6lk$(E-Mail Removed):

>>> Why is this happening? Using Win 7 Ult.
>>>
>>> I've googled everywhere and I can't figure out why the network
>>> connection icon is showing a red x yet I'm connecting to the
>>> internet just fine, one site said it might have to do with network
>>> adapters or something (yes I'm being vague I'm at a loss to as to
>>> what's going on)
>>>
>>> here's a screenshot that may help (showing hidden devices)
>>>
>>> http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1020/wans.jpg
>>>
>>> I asked this question a few weeks earlier and got no answer that
>>> worked, thought I'd put it out there again to see if anyone can
>>> help.
>>>
>>> Thanks very much for positive input.

>>Exactly *how* many network cards do you *have* on that computer?

> There's a good chance that he has two, wired and wireless. The
> status displayed was probably for the one that was disabled.
>
> Mike "two coins totaling 35 cents, one isn't a quarter" Yetto

No, It's virtually certain that he has loads of corrupted drivers.
That's exactly how you get that sort of result in MS windows.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Mike Yetto

chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> writes and having writ moves on.
>Mike Yetto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) al-september.org:

>> chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> writes and having writ moves on.
>>>Muse Gruppes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>>news:i5vej1$6lk$(E-Mail Removed):

>>>Exactly *how* many network cards do you *have* on that computer?

>> There's a good chance that he has two, wired and wireless. The
>> status displayed was probably for the one that was disabled.
>>

>No, It's virtually certain that he has loads of corrupted drivers.
>That's exactly how you get that sort of result in MS windows.

I think you were on the right track asking about multiple network
cards. However, you managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of
victory by bringing corrupted drivers into the picture.

It isn't unusual to have the status of the unused connection
show, regardless of the OS. I switched the tray icon to show the
wireless connection since it was always showing a disconnected
wired connection. This may be what the OP did to solve the
problem.

Mike "quit while you're ahead" Yetto
In practice they are not.

chuckcar

Mike Yetto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

> chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> writes and having writ moves on.
>>Mike Yetto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) l-september.org:

>>> chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> writes and having writ moves on.

>>> There's a good chance that he has two, wired and wireless. The
>>> status displayed was probably for the one that was disabled.
>>>

>>No, It's virtually certain that he has loads of corrupted drivers.
>>That's exactly how you get that sort of result in MS windows.

> I think you were on the right track asking about multiple network
> cards. However, you managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of
> victory by bringing corrupted drivers into the picture.
>
> It isn't unusual to have the status of the unused connection
> show, regardless of the OS. I switched the tray icon to show the
> wireless connection since it was always showing a disconnected
> wired connection. This may be what the OP did to solve the
> problem.

Really? then how do you explain that there's only a couple of cards
involved. Look I've seen this exact situation, just like this. The most
complicated it gets is in sound, where you get some really wierd codecs.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Mike Yetto

chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> writes and having writ moves on.
>Mike Yetto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) l-september.org:

>> chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> writes and having writ moves on.
>>>Mike Yetto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) al-september.org:

>>>No, It's virtually certain that he has loads of corrupted drivers.
>>>That's exactly how you get that sort of result in MS windows.

>> I think you were on the right track asking about multiple network
>> cards. However, you managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of
>> victory by bringing corrupted drivers into the picture.
>>
>> It isn't unusual to have the status of the unused connection
>> show, regardless of the OS. I switched the tray icon to show the
>> wireless connection since it was always showing a disconnected
>> wired connection. This may be what the OP did to solve the
>> problem.

>Really? then how do you explain that there's only a couple of cards
>involved. Look I've seen this exact situation, just like this. The most
>complicated it gets is in sound, where you get some really wierd codecs.

When I noted the tray icon showing a disconnected wired interface
while I had a wireless interface working I found it easy to a two
and two to come up with four. Check my headers to see what OS
I'm dealing with here. The solution was to show the state of the
NIC I use nearly all the time. The other NIC (I only have two)
is used rarely.

You might have come up with five because you are running a sound
codec on your NIC.

Mike "when you're stuck in a hole, stop digging" Yetto
In practice they are not.