Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Using BT Voyager 2500V for non-BT VoIP?

Using BT Voyager 2500V for non-BT VoIP?

Roger Mills

I have recently been given a (used) 2500V which I wish to use as a
backup both for my 3Com ADSL modem/wireless router (ISP = PlusNet) and
for my PAP2T ATA (used with voip.co.uk)

I have flashed it with downloaded firmware to "unlock" it (not sure
whether that was really necessary or not) and have succeeded in getting
it working as a modem/wireless router with my PlusNet ADSL service -
including using WPA-PSK encryption.

However, I'm not sure whether the VoIP bit is possible or, if it is, how
to set it up. The web interface is pretty sparce in this respect,
allowing only a phone number and password to be specified - rather than
SIP account numbers and proxy server names etc. as required by voip.co.uk

*However* it does appear to contain that stuff because you can dump its
config as an .xml file and can then see a load of parameters[1] which
are not visible via the web interface. Each parameter has a value (many
of them null) contained in quotes - with some values being plain text
and others being hex strings - with two hex digits per character (with
the hex value appearing to be the two's complement of the appropriate
Ascii code). In theory, it should be possible to edit the xml file in
order to populate or modify the appropriate parameters, and then restore
the modified config to the device.

Have any of you succeeded in doing this? If so, can you please tell me
which parameters I need to set, what their values should be, and which
ones are hex encoded.

TIA

[1] here are some of them:

ProxyServerName=""
ProxyServerPort="5060"
RegistrarServerName=""
RegistrarServerPort="5060"
OutboundProxyName=""
OutboundProxyPort="5060"
sipProtocol="17"
sipPort="5060"
phoneNumber1=""
callerName1=""
sipUserName1=""
sipPassword1=""

--
Cheers,
Roger

Roger Mills

On 03/09/2010 21:17, Roger Mills wrote:
> I have recently been given a (used) 2500V which I wish to use as a
> backup both for my 3Com ADSL modem/wireless router (ISP = PlusNet) and
> for my PAP2T ATA (used with voip.co.uk)
>
> I have flashed it with downloaded firmware to "unlock" it (not sure
> whether that was really necessary or not) and have succeeded in getting
> it working as a modem/wireless router with my PlusNet ADSL service -
> including using WPA-PSK encryption.
>
> However, I'm not sure whether the VoIP bit is possible or, if it is, how
> to set it up. The web interface is pretty sparce in this respect,
> allowing only a phone number and password to be specified - rather than
> SIP account numbers and proxy server names etc. as required by voip.co.uk

<SNIP>

Sorry to answer my own post (no-one else has!) - but it's now sorted.

I discovered that there is a Telnet interface which is easier to use
than editing the config file, and which allows all the necessary
parameters to be set. A fair amount of trial and error was involved, but
I got there in the end! [I can provide further details if anyone is
interested but - based on the (lack of) response to the original post -
that seems unlikely!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Brian A

On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 07:29:28 +0100, Jono wrote:

> on 05/09/2010, Roger Mills supposed :
>> that seems unlikely!

> Oh no it's not.

It isn't just now but in the future when posts are useful.
If I need an answer to something then I use Google to search for it. Your
post will be there in perpetuity to help others. The worst posters are
those who have subject lines like 'can anyone help' - as useless as a
chocolate teapot. So, you've got the right subject heading. Feel free now
to answer the question for the on-line community. You can be sure that
you won't be the only one who needs that information.

BT VOYAGER 2500V with VOIP Homeworker UK VOIP 28 01-24-2008 09:48 AM
Re: Help please BT Voyager 2500v Borgslayer Computer Security 0 01-22-2008 10:30 PM
Using BT Voyager 220V as a voip client Chris.N.Richardson@googlemail.com UK VOIP 0 03-26-2007 08:59 AM
BT Voyager 2500V Bob Templeman UK VOIP 1 03-20-2007 08:27 PM
Review: Corsair Voyager USB Flash Drive Silverstrand Reviews & How-To's 63 11-17-2005 07:21 AM

Advertisments