Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > CPU fan.

CPU fan.

ian field

Sitting here wondering what all the fuss is about regarding CPU fans.

The fan didn't start because it was clogged with tobacco tar, dust & fluff,
so out it came for cleaning.

Before putting it back together I decided to run some Slick50 PTFE oil into
the fan bearing, so the fan is laying flat on the video card so I can keep
it spinning and work the oil into the bearing.

Obviously as the fan is not at this moment attached to the heatsink I keep
putting my hand on the fins to check the temperature - its not getting any
more than luke warm.

John Holmes

ian field "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Sitting here wondering what all the fuss is about regarding CPU fans.
>
> The fan didn't start because it was clogged with tobacco tar, dust &
> fluff, so out it came for cleaning.
>
> Before putting it back together I decided to run some Slick50 PTFE oil
> into the fan bearing, so the fan is laying flat on the video card so I
> can keep it spinning and work the oil into the bearing.
>
> Obviously as the fan is not at this moment attached to the heatsink I
> keep putting my hand on the fins to check the temperature - its not
> getting any more than luke warm.

Were you watching a movie? Playing a heavy game? Video editing perhaps?

--
<snip>

OldGringo38

On 9/3/2010 11:23 AM Just to please that super-ego, ian field wrote the
following tidbit of information:
> Sitting here wondering what all the fuss is about regarding CPU fans.
>
> The fan didn't start because it was clogged with tobacco tar, dust& fluff,
> so out it came for cleaning.
>
> Before putting it back together I decided to run some Slick50 PTFE oil into
> the fan bearing, so the fan is laying flat on the video card so I can keep
> it spinning and work the oil into the bearing.
>
> Obviously as the fan is not at this moment attached to the heatsink I keep
> putting my hand on the fins to check the temperature - its not getting any
> more than luke warm.

And

--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere

Meat Plow

On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 17:23:43 +0100, ian field wrote:

> Sitting here wondering what all the fuss is about regarding CPU fans.
>
> The fan didn't start because it was clogged with tobacco tar, dust &
> fluff, so out it came for cleaning.
>
> Before putting it back together I decided to run some Slick50 PTFE oil
> into the fan bearing, so the fan is laying flat on the video card so I
> can keep it spinning and work the oil into the bearing.
>
> Obviously as the fan is not at this moment attached to the heatsink I
> keep putting my hand on the fins to check the temperature - its not
> getting any more than luke warm.

Under load it could draw double the wattage.

ian field

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). I.am...
> On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 17:23:43 +0100, ian field wrote:
>
>> Sitting here wondering what all the fuss is about regarding CPU fans.
>>
>> The fan didn't start because it was clogged with tobacco tar, dust &
>> fluff, so out it came for cleaning.
>>
>> Before putting it back together I decided to run some Slick50 PTFE oil
>> into the fan bearing, so the fan is laying flat on the video card so I
>> can keep it spinning and work the oil into the bearing.
>>
>> Obviously as the fan is not at this moment attached to the heatsink I
>> keep putting my hand on the fins to check the temperature - its not
>> getting any more than luke warm.

> Under load it could draw double the wattage.

Maybe I don't work it that hard.

When I unclipped the fan from the heatsink I found the fins packed with a
great wad of gunge - the fan hasn't been blowing air through the fins for
quite some time and there haven't been any of the kind of glitches I'd
associate with an overheating CPU.

ian field

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ian field wrote:
>> Sitting here wondering what all the fuss is about regarding CPU fans.
>>
>> The fan didn't start because it was clogged with tobacco tar, dust &
>> fluff, so out it came for cleaning.
>>
>> Before putting it back together I decided to run some Slick50 PTFE oil
>> into the fan bearing, so the fan is laying flat on the video card so I
>> can keep it spinning and work the oil into the bearing.
>>
>> Obviously as the fan is not at this moment attached to the heatsink I
>> keep putting my hand on the fins to check the temperature - its not
>> getting any more than luke warm.

> Putting your hand on the heatsink fins is not the way to check/ accurately
> measure/ assess/ the CPU's temperature.
>
> If your mobo has a cpu temp readout look at that. Also, monitor the cpu
> temp under varying loads with a utility.
>
> Then later when you've put the fan back, compare the results.

One of my PCs had temperature monitoring utils but I can't remember which
one.

Maybe they disappeared after a clean install/upgrade or maybe I retired that
MOBO - can't remember which.

Mike Easter

ian field wrote:
> "Mike Easter"

>> Putting your hand on the heatsink fins is not the way to check/ accurately
>> measure/ assess/ the CPU's temperature.

> One of my PCs had temperature monitoring utils but I can't remember which
> one.

Get into your mobo's setup or read your mobo manual to determine what
information the mobo can provide.

> Maybe they disappeared after a clean install/upgrade or maybe I retired that
> MOBO - can't remember which.

What is this mobo? What is this CPU?

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

ian field wrote:

> When I unclipped the fan from the heatsink I found the fins packed with a
> great wad of gunge - the fan hasn't been blowing air through the fins for
> quite some time and there haven't been any of the kind of glitches I'd
> associate with an overheating CPU.

Is it possible that you are confusing 'unclipping' a fan from a heatsink
with unclipping a heatsink from a CPU?

Is it possible that you are confusing fin 'gunge' with heat transfer
compound?

--
Mike Easter

Meat Plow

On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 19:21:34 +0100, ian field wrote:

> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed). I.am...
>> On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 17:23:43 +0100, ian field wrote:
>>
>>> Sitting here wondering what all the fuss is about regarding CPU fans.
>>>
>>> The fan didn't start because it was clogged with tobacco tar, dust &
>>> fluff, so out it came for cleaning.
>>>
>>> Before putting it back together I decided to run some Slick50 PTFE oil
>>> into the fan bearing, so the fan is laying flat on the video card so I
>>> can keep it spinning and work the oil into the bearing.
>>>
>>> Obviously as the fan is not at this moment attached to the heatsink I
>>> keep putting my hand on the fins to check the temperature - its not
>>> getting any more than luke warm.

>> Under load it could draw double the wattage.

> Maybe I don't work it that hard.
>
> When I unclipped the fan from the heatsink I found the fins packed with
> a great wad of gunge - the fan hasn't been blowing air through the fins
> for quite some time and there haven't been any of the kind of glitches
> I'd associate with an overheating CPU.

Most decent motherboards provide fan control for noise reduction. When I
encode mpeg video my fan speed rises slightly as the CPU warms. At idle
the CPU fan turns at 2000 rpm, that's less than half full speed. The
120mm chassis fan has the same control. As the chassis temp rises the fan
speed increases. I can set the motherboard for high performance say if I
wanted to overclock this quad core to 4ghz. I've tried it. Both fans run
at max RPM and the box sounds like a vacuum cleaner. I guess my point is
that if you had fan speed control and your heat sink became clogged you
would have noticed an increase in fan speed before it was so clogged it
stopped the fan. Depending on how much usage the CPU gets you might get
by with no fan at all as long as your sink device has sufficient surcase
area. A lot of Dell computers several years ago had a towering heat sink
with no dedicated fan, just a 120mm fan in the back.

ian field

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ian field wrote:
>
>> When I unclipped the fan from the heatsink I found the fins packed with a
>> great wad of gunge - the fan hasn't been blowing air through the fins for
>> quite some time and there haven't been any of the kind of glitches I'd
>> associate with an overheating CPU.

> Is it possible that you are confusing 'unclipping' a fan from a heatsink
> with unclipping a heatsink from a CPU?
>
> Is it possible that you are confusing fin 'gunge' with heat transfer
> compound?

You seem to be rather confused (apparently not difficult!).

The silver loaded heatsink transfer compound I use isn't cheap and isn't
easy to mistake for gunge that collects in the fan (although I can't speak
for your inability to tell the difference).

Also, because I use top of the range (expensive) heatsink compound - I
always remove only the fan for cleaning and do everything possible to avoid
disturbing the heatsink.

I'm a little surprised that someone who gives advice on a support group
could make such an idiotic comment!