Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > CHDK Story in Nuts and Volts Magazine

CHDK Story in Nuts and Volts Magazine

SMS

This month's Nuts and Volts magazine has the first part of a multi-part
article on CHDK. This month's section is pretty basic, but next month
they should get into more of the programming.

"http://nutsvolts.texterity.com/nutsvolts/201009?pg=70#pg70" is a
sample, but the magazine is not free on-line.

If you're not familiar with CHDK (Canon Hacker's Development Kit) it's a
very useful program for many of Canon point and shoot cameras.

Rich

On Sep 2, 11:28*pm, Outing Trolls is FUN! <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 19:59:18 -0700, SMS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >This month's Nuts and Volts magazine has the first part of a multi-part
> >article on CHDK. This month's section is pretty basic, but next month
> >they should get into more of the programming.

> >"http://nutsvolts.texterity.com/nutsvolts/201009?pg=70#pg70" is a
> >sample, but the magazine is not free on-line.

> >If you're not familiar with CHDK (Canon Hacker's Development Kit) it's a
> >very useful program for many of Canon point and shoot cameras.

> How would you know? You've never used it. You've never used ANY real
> camera. Just the imaginary ones in your head that you read about in
> downloadable manuals.

CHDK is simply hot-rodding a toy. It's hotter, but it's still a toy.

Ofnuts

On 03/09/2010 05:57, Outing Trolls is FUN! wrote:

> The ONLY thing that DSLRs have is a 2-3 ISO advantage, easily compensated
> for by the 2-3 stop larger apertures at long focal-lengths available on all
> superzoom cameras.

And clean, sharp images, easily compensated by, er, wait...

--
Bertrand

Outing Trolls is FUN!

On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 08:28:52 +0200, Ofnuts <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 03/09/2010 05:57, Outing Trolls is FUN! wrote:
>
>> The ONLY thing that DSLRs have is a 2-3 ISO advantage, easily compensated
>> for by the 2-3 stop larger apertures at long focal-lengths available on all
>> superzoom cameras.

>And clean, sharp images, easily compensated by, er, wait...

Oh? You mean like these superzoom and compact cameras that beat even the
newest DSLRs in image quality and sharpness?

<http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX10_IS/outdoor_results.shtml>

<http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml>

<http://darwinwiggett.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/the-canon-7d/>

Like that?

I still have a superzoom camera built in 2003 that was beating the image
quality from all DSLRs made that year. This is nothing new. Except to
DSLR-TROLLS like you.

Ofnuts

On 03/09/2010 09:04, Outing Trolls is FUN! wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 08:28:52 +0200, Ofnuts<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On 03/09/2010 05:57, Outing Trolls is FUN! wrote:
>>
>>> The ONLY thing that DSLRs have is a 2-3 ISO advantage, easily compensated
>>> for by the 2-3 stop larger apertures at long focal-lengths available on all
>>> superzoom cameras.

>> And clean, sharp images, easily compensated by, er, wait...

> Oh? You mean like these superzoom and compact cameras that beat even the
> newest DSLRs in image quality and sharpness?
>
> <http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX10_IS/outdoor_results.shtml>
>
> <http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml>
>
> <http://darwinwiggett.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/the-canon-7d/>

Aw, yes, the page that says the best of the lot is the Rebel... and
anyway, it's ironic you extol this series of tests, since they are done
using RAW (which is also really why the 7D doesn't come out well, see
the following tests that show somewhat different results...).

--
Bertrand

Ofnuts

On 03/09/2010 11:26, Outing Trolls is FUN! wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 10:45:33 +0200, Ofnuts<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On 03/09/2010 09:04, Outing Trolls is FUN! wrote:

>>> Oh? You mean like these superzoom and compact cameras that beat even the
>>> newest DSLRs in image quality and sharpness?
>>>
>>> <http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX10_IS/outdoor_results.shtml>
>>>
>>> <http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml>
>>>
>>> <http://darwinwiggett.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/the-canon-7d/>

>> Aw, yes, the page that says the best of the lot is the Rebel...

> Are you busy reading pages that don't exist and weren't posted?
>
>> and
>> anyway, it's ironic you extol this series of tests, since they are done
>> using RAW

> No they weren't.

"We shot all cameras in RAW mode and processed all files in Canonís
Digital Photo Pro (DPP) software.".

"When we processed the RAW images in DPP we were surprised by the fact
that the G9 files looked nearly as good as the 7D files! "

"The little $575 G11 point-n-shoot can definitely hold its own against
the 7D in terms of file quality. This is especially noticeable if you
compare the points of contrast in the image, such as the window frames
in the building. For some reason, even though we processed both RAW
images in DPP using the same picture settings (standard) and white
balance (auto), the two cameras gave very different colour renditions of
the scene."

YCLIU. Funny how you are blind to the part of the paragraph that doesn't
please you.

>> (which is also really why the 7D doesn't come out well,

> No it's not.
>
>> see
>> the following tests that show somewhat different results...).

> <insert his imaginary links to his imaginary proof>
>
> Ah yes, the imaginary proof that exists only in your own mind. What great
> links you provide for that.

The link is on the page:

http://darwinwiggett.wordpress.com/2...the-canon-xsi/

Overall Conclusion

Drew figured he put the baby to bed and debunked the problems with soft
files in the 7d and showed without a doubt that the 7d bested the Rebel.

> Getting your rocks off on trolling for attention again with your blatantly
> obvious lies? Yep.
>
> You're a waste of everyone's time,

Why do you answer then?

--
Bertrand

Peter

"Ofnuts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4c80ea5f$0$16984$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "We shot all cameras in RAW mode and processed all files in Canonís
> Digital Photo Pro (DPP) software.".
>
> "When we processed the RAW images in DPP we were surprised by the fact
> that the G9 files looked nearly as good as the 7D files! "
>
> "The little $575 G11 point-n-shoot can definitely hold its own against the
> 7D in terms of file quality. This is especially noticeable if you compare
> the points of contrast in the image, such as the window frames in the
> building. For some reason, even though we processed both RAW images in
> DPP using the same picture settings (standard) and white balance (auto),
> the two cameras gave very different colour renditions of the scene."

I have friends who share you conclusion about the G11. Some of them carry it
as a walk around camera.

--
Peter

SMS

On 9/2/2010 8:42 PM, Rich wrote:
> On Sep 2, 11:28 pm, Outing Trolls is FUN!<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 19:59:18 -0700, SMS<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> This month's Nuts and Volts magazine has the first part of a multi-part
>>> article on CHDK. This month's section is pretty basic, but next month
>>> they should get into more of the programming.

>>> "http://nutsvolts.texterity.com/nutsvolts/201009?pg=70#pg70" is a
>>> sample, but the magazine is not free on-line.

>>> If you're not familiar with CHDK (Canon Hacker's Development Kit) it's a
>>> very useful program for many of Canon point and shoot cameras.

>> How would you know? You've never used it. You've never used ANY real
>> camera. Just the imaginary ones in your head that you read about in
>> downloadable manuals.

> CHDK is simply hot-rodding a toy. It's hotter, but it's still a toy.

You're so full of it. Probably every D-SLR owner also has "a toy" for
when they aren't willing to carry around their D-SLR.

No, CHDK does not turn a P&S or ZLR into a high-ISO, low-noise, fast AF
D-SLR, with a super sharp lens but it does add some functionality that
can be quite useful. If you're choosing between "toys" it makes sense to
choose one that can at least be used with CHDK. I admit that I'm a
biased in favor of CHDK because I helped write the documentation for it,
but I use it almost on a daily basis, and I find it a useful addition to
my Canon P&S cameras.

Just because our favorite troll likes CHDK too, don't let his
cluelessness turn you against it.

SMS

On 9/3/2010 6:08 AM, Peter wrote:
> "Ofnuts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4c80ea5f$0$16984$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

>> "We shot all cameras in RAW mode and processed all files in Canonís
>> Digital Photo Pro (DPP) software.".
>>
>> "When we processed the RAW images in DPP we were surprised by the fact
>> that the G9 files looked nearly as good as the 7D files! "
>>
>> "The little $575 G11 point-n-shoot can definitely hold its own against
>> the 7D in terms of file quality. This is especially noticeable if you
>> compare the points of contrast in the image, such as the window frames
>> in the building. For some reason, even though we processed both RAW
>> images in DPP using the same picture settings (standard) and white
>> balance (auto), the two cameras gave very different colour renditions
>> of the scene."

> I have friends who share you conclusion about the G11. Some of them
> carry it as a walk around camera.

Yes, the G11 is no doubt the finest non D-SLR on the market today.
Remember, Canon did the unthinkable, and forgot about the megapixel war
for a moment and actually gave the G11 a lower noise, larger pixel, but
a significantly lower resolution sensor than the G10. With the G12 they
increased the resolution slightly, but it's still less than the G10 was.

Peter

"SMS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4c81156f$0$1583$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 9/3/2010 6:08 AM, Peter wrote:
>> "Ofnuts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4c80ea5f$0$16984$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>>> "We shot all cameras in RAW mode and processed all files in Canonís
>>> Digital Photo Pro (DPP) software.".
>>>
>>> "When we processed the RAW images in DPP we were surprised by the fact
>>> that the G9 files looked nearly as good as the 7D files! "
>>>
>>> "The little $575 G11 point-n-shoot can definitely hold its own against
>>> the 7D in terms of file quality. This is especially noticeable if you
>>> compare the points of contrast in the image, such as the window frames
>>> in the building. For some reason, even though we processed both RAW
>>> images in DPP using the same picture settings (standard) and white
>>> balance (auto), the two cameras gave very different colour renditions
>>> of the scene."

>> I have friends who share you conclusion about the G11. Some of them
>> carry it as a walk around camera.

> Yes, the G11 is no doubt the finest non D-SLR on the market today.
> Remember, Canon did the unthinkable, and forgot about the megapixel war
> for a moment and actually gave the G11 a lower noise, larger pixel, but a
> significantly lower resolution sensor than the G10. With the G12 they
> increased the resolution slightly, but it's still less than the G10 was.

IMHO G10 images looked cartoonish.

--
Peter