Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows search.

Windows search.

ian field

Using Win XP SP3.

I have some intricate folder trees that I would like to gather up all the
files into a single folder so I can sort by type and delete all the ones I
don't want.

When I invoke windows search and enter *.* it lists all the files as
expected, but when I select a group of files and try to cut/paste into a new
folder I get an error box saying it cannot read requested cannot read from
disk and it terminates without moving any files.

I have tried selecting the folders in the list then inverting the selection
so I'm not asking it to move folders, then I noticed that some files in the
list don't have full paths - I assumed these were files inside archives and
arranged to exclude these too.

Is there some way to get around this problem, or a freeware file manager
that at the very least can do a "tree view" and tag all with move?

Thanks.

richard

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 18:13:59 +0100, ian field wrote:

> Using Win XP SP3.
>
> I have some intricate folder trees that I would like to gather up all the
> files into a single folder so I can sort by type and delete all the ones I
> don't want.
>
> When I invoke windows search and enter *.* it lists all the files as
> expected, but when I select a group of files and try to cut/paste into a new
> folder I get an error box saying it cannot read requested cannot read from
> disk and it terminates without moving any files.
>
> I have tried selecting the folders in the list then inverting the selection
> so I'm not asking it to move folders, then I noticed that some files in the
> list don't have full paths - I assumed these were files inside archives and
> arranged to exclude these too.
>
> Is there some way to get around this problem, or a freeware file manager
> that at the very least can do a "tree view" and tag all with move?
>
> Thanks.

why are you using *.*?
that means search for any file with any extension. Ergo, the results
listing every file in every folder.
try narrowing your search to a specific type of file such as *.txt, which
will then list only "txt" files.

The search only lists what it finds. If you need to move that file, you'll
need to move into windows explorer and locate the file that way.

ian field

news:1n7ezkx7aavfz.1vuf8z89ro4if$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 18:13:59 +0100, ian field wrote:
>
>> Using Win XP SP3.
>>
>> I have some intricate folder trees that I would like to gather up all the
>> files into a single folder so I can sort by type and delete all the ones
>> don't want.
>>
>> When I invoke windows search and enter *.* it lists all the files as
>> expected, but when I select a group of files and try to cut/paste into a
>> new
>> folder I get an error box saying it cannot read requested cannot read
>> from
>> disk and it terminates without moving any files.
>>
>> I have tried selecting the folders in the list then inverting the
>> selection
>> so I'm not asking it to move folders, then I noticed that some files in
>> the
>> list don't have full paths - I assumed these were files inside archives
>> and
>> arranged to exclude these too.
>>
>> Is there some way to get around this problem, or a freeware file manager
>> that at the very least can do a "tree view" and tag all with move?
>>
>> Thanks.

> why are you using *.*?

Read much?

Hint - try starting with my first paragraph.

Meat Plow

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 18:13:59 +0100, ian field wrote:

> Using Win XP SP3.
>
> I have some intricate folder trees that I would like to gather up all
> the files into a single folder so I can sort by type and delete all the
> ones I don't want.
>
> When I invoke windows search and enter *.* it lists all the files as
> expected, but when I select a group of files and try to cut/paste into a
> new folder I get an error box saying it cannot read requested cannot
> read from disk and it terminates without moving any files.
>
> I have tried selecting the folders in the list then inverting the
> selection so I'm not asking it to move folders, then I noticed that some
> files in the list don't have full paths - I assumed these were files
> inside archives and arranged to exclude these too.
>
> Is there some way to get around this problem, or a freeware file manager
> that at the very least can do a "tree view" and tag all with move?
>
> Thanks.

Do a scndsk/r from a recovery console and see if the media has some
defects that can be recovered. Should be no other reason that you can't
cut/copy and paste files that you placed in a folder tree no matter how
intricate unless there is something wrong with the media of something
misaligned in the file journal, MFT.

ian field

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). I.am...
> On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 18:13:59 +0100, ian field wrote:
>
>> Using Win XP SP3.
>>
>> I have some intricate folder trees that I would like to gather up all
>> the files into a single folder so I can sort by type and delete all the
>> ones I don't want.
>>
>> When I invoke windows search and enter *.* it lists all the files as
>> expected, but when I select a group of files and try to cut/paste into a
>> new folder I get an error box saying it cannot read requested cannot
>> read from disk and it terminates without moving any files.
>>
>> I have tried selecting the folders in the list then inverting the
>> selection so I'm not asking it to move folders, then I noticed that some
>> files in the list don't have full paths - I assumed these were files
>> inside archives and arranged to exclude these too.
>>
>> Is there some way to get around this problem, or a freeware file manager
>> that at the very least can do a "tree view" and tag all with move?
>>
>> Thanks.

> Do a scndsk/r from a recovery console and see if the media has some
> defects that can be recovered. Should be no other reason that you can't
> cut/copy and paste files that you placed in a folder tree no matter how
> intricate unless there is something wrong with the media of something
> misaligned in the file journal, MFT.

My other PC does the same thing - and I've recently (regularly) run
Spinrite6 on every partition.

Meat Plow

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 19:06:20 +0100, ian field wrote:

> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed). I.am...
>> On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 18:13:59 +0100, ian field wrote:
>>
>>> Using Win XP SP3.
>>>
>>> I have some intricate folder trees that I would like to gather up all
>>> the files into a single folder so I can sort by type and delete all
>>> the ones I don't want.
>>>
>>> When I invoke windows search and enter *.* it lists all the files as
>>> expected, but when I select a group of files and try to cut/paste into
>>> a new folder I get an error box saying it cannot read requested cannot
>>> read from disk and it terminates without moving any files.
>>>
>>> I have tried selecting the folders in the list then inverting the
>>> selection so I'm not asking it to move folders, then I noticed that
>>> some files in the list don't have full paths - I assumed these were
>>> files inside archives and arranged to exclude these too.
>>>
>>> Is there some way to get around this problem, or a freeware file
>>> manager that at the very least can do a "tree view" and tag all with
>>> move?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>> Do a scndsk/r from a recovery console and see if the media has some
>> defects that can be recovered. Should be no other reason that you can't
>> cut/copy and paste files that you placed in a folder tree no matter how
>> intricate unless there is something wrong with the media of something
>> misaligned in the file journal, MFT.

> My other PC does the same thing - and I've recently (regularly) run
> Spinrite6 on every partition.

Well hope you can find a solution, I can't recreate the problem. Unless
you have some corruption in the directory names or they are longer than
255 characters or some really weird names problem.

ian field

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). I.am...
> On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 19:06:20 +0100, ian field wrote:
>
>> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed). I.am...

>>> Do a scndsk/r from a recovery console and see if the media has some
>>> defects that can be recovered. Should be no other reason that you can't
>>> cut/copy and paste files that you placed in a folder tree no matter how
>>> intricate unless there is something wrong with the media of something
>>> misaligned in the file journal, MFT.

>> My other PC does the same thing - and I've recently (regularly) run
>> Spinrite6 on every partition.

> Well hope you can find a solution, I can't recreate the problem. Unless
> you have some corruption in the directory names or they are longer than
> 255 characters or some really weird names problem.

Hmmm - I wonder if that's it.

chuckcar

"ian field" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:sXQfo.71876$(E-Mail Removed)2:

> Using Win XP SP3.
>
> I have some intricate folder trees that I would like to gather up all
> the files into a single folder so I can sort by type and delete all
> the ones I don't want.
>
> When I invoke windows search and enter *.* it lists all the files as
> expected, but when I select a group of files and try to cut/paste into
> a new folder I get an error box saying it cannot read requested cannot
> read from disk and it terminates without moving any files.
>
> I have tried selecting the folders in the list then inverting the
> selection so I'm not asking it to move folders, then I noticed that
> some files in the list don't have full paths - I assumed these were
> files inside archives and arranged to exclude these too.
>
> Is there some way to get around this problem, or a freeware file
> manager that at the very least can do a "tree view" and tag all with
> move?
>
> Thanks.

And what drive letter are you doing this on? And what is the drive
letter for your hard drive(s).

The possibility also exists you are doing it on My computer or some
other place above the drives level - which includes *all* drives.
Including the CD/DVD drives. Which are of course read-only with the
rather strange exception of open session CDs.

You could also have given us the path for one of the aforementioned
files that it didn't work for.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Tony

That wouldn't be a problem for you Chuck your hard drive would fit on a
couple of floppy discs.

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

manners

Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day
on the job for potty mouth,

the realm of understandability

ian field

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That wouldn't be a problem for you Chuck your hard drive would fit on a
> couple of floppy discs.
>
> chuckcar wrote:
>
>> "ian field" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:sXQfo.71876$(E-Mail Removed)2:
>>
>> > Using Win XP SP3.
>> >
>> > I have some intricate folder trees that I would like to gather up all
>> > the files into a single folder so I can sort by type and delete all
>> > the ones I don't want.
>> >
>> > When I invoke windows search and enter *.* it lists all the files as
>> > expected, but when I select a group of files and try to cut/paste into
>> > a new folder I get an error box saying it cannot read requested cannot
>> > read from disk and it terminates without moving any files.
>> >
>> > I have tried selecting the folders in the list then inverting the
>> > selection so I'm not asking it to move folders, then I noticed that
>> > some files in the list don't have full paths - I assumed these were
>> > files inside archives and arranged to exclude these too.
>> >
>> > Is there some way to get around this problem, or a freeware file
>> > manager that at the very least can do a "tree view" and tag all with
>> > move?
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >

>> And what drive letter are you doing this on? And what is the drive
>> letter for your hard drive(s).
>>
>> The possibility also exists you are doing it on My computer or some
>> other place above the drives level

No it doesn't because I said I was trying to round up all the files in a
folder tree.

However you did give me the idea of checking the properties for that tree -
under attributes the read only box is checked, I tried unchecking it and
clicling apply - it displays a progress bar and appears to carry out the
operation, but when I close and re-open properties the read only check mark
has returned.

This may be the cause of the problem - but I'm still at a dead end as to how
to fix it.