Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon's new 85mm is 6x the cost of the Samyang

Reply
Thread Tools

Nikon's new 85mm is 6x the cost of the Samyang

 
 
RichA
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2010
Unreal. It almost doubled the cost of the old one. And no VR.

http://www.vistek.ca/store/CameraLen...Sept2010+Enews

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2010
"RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Unreal. It almost doubled the cost of the old one. And no VR.
>
> http://www.vistek.ca/store/CameraLen...Sept2010+Enews
>


Yawn!
So don't buy one. You are not it's target purchaser. Indeed if it was 1/2
the price you would find something wrong.


--
Peter

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
RichA
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2010
On Sep 2, 7:49*am, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Unreal. *It almost doubled the cost of the old one. *And no VR.

>
> >http://www.vistek.ca/store/CameraLen...s-85mm-f14-g-t...

>
> Yawn!
> So don't buy one. You are not it's target purchaser. Indeed if it was 1/2
> the price you would find something wrong.
>
> --
> Peter


No, I thought the old lens at $900 was fine. Nikon is doing what it
has been doing for the last three years, soaking pre-existing body
owners because they can't get new customers fast enough.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2010
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sep 2, 7:49*am, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> > Unreal. *It almost doubled the cost of the old one. *And no VR.

>>
>> >http://www.vistek.ca/store/CameraLen...s-85mm-f14-g-t...

>>
>> Yawn!
>> So don't buy one. You are not it's target purchaser. Indeed if it was 1/2
>> the price you would find something wrong.
>>
>> --
>> Peter

>
>No, I thought the old lens at $900 was fine. Nikon is doing what it
>has been doing for the last three years, soaking pre-existing body
>owners because they can't get new customers fast enough.



There was a lot of demand from portrait shooters for an update. The D
model was not so old, but it was designed for film and would benefit
from a more telecentric design and better coatings for digital.

Some users also wanted AF-S focusing because the D model has slow and
noisy autofocus which tends to hunt a little at typical shooting
distances. This leads to inaccuracy that you just don't need when
shooting at f/1.4 with very little depth of field. AF-S would also
offer an instant change from auto to manual focus when the AF gets it
wrong.

So there was a good business case for an update.

The only problem was, Samyang came along with a design that addressed
all the optical weaknesses of the Nikkor and offered superior coating
and extremely good build quality, all at a fraction of the price. If
you can tolerate manual focus the Samyang is currently the one to buy.

It will be interesting to see a comparison between the Samyang and the
new Nikkor. I believe it will be a close-run thing.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Coe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2010
On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 18:45:16 -0700 (PDT), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Unreal. It almost doubled the cost of the old one. And no VR.
:
: http://www.vistek.ca/store/CameraLen...Sept2010+Enews

Ya know what I'd do if I were you, Rich? I'd buy the Samyang!

Bob
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2010
Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 18:45:16 -0700 (PDT), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>: Unreal. It almost doubled the cost of the old one. And no VR.
>:
>: http://www.vistek.ca/store/CameraLen...Sept2010+Enews
>
>Ya know what I'd do if I were you, Rich? I'd buy the Samyang!



You would have to teach Rich how to focus the lens.

He can only 'drive' an auto.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I love to go snapping with this Samyang Pablo Digital Photography 5 06-06-2012 11:40 AM
Samyang announces 35 mm f/1.4 AS UMC lens Bruce Digital Photography 2 09-18-2010 11:13 AM
Samyang 85mm f1.4 beats Nikon? (Resolution) RichA Digital Photography 6 06-21-2010 05:09 PM
Samyang and Russian Lenses - Quality and Supplies R Halim Digital Photography 2 04-17-2010 11:39 PM
Sigma's new 85mm f1.4 re-bodied Samyang optics with AF? RichA Digital Photography 5 02-22-2010 11:38 AM



Advertisments