Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows 7 tray manager program list

Windows 7 tray manager program list

George Neuner

Hi,

Does anyone know how to remove a program from the tray manager's
icon/notification customization list?

The list shows applications that have been completely uninstalled - I
have verified that the program directories and registry entries for
them are gone - so there is no possibility that an icon or
notification will appear, but the tray manager doesn't seem to be
coordinated with the installed program list.

George

Carlos

George,
There is an easy solution for XP right here:
http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Win...stem_Tray.html
I am at work now so I can't test it at home in Win 7.

Does it work for you?
Carlos

"George Neuner" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know how to remove a program from the tray manager's
> icon/notification customization list?
>
> The list shows applications that have been completely uninstalled - I
> have verified that the program directories and registry entries for
> them are gone - so there is no possibility that an icon or
> notification will appear, but the tray manager doesn't seem to be
> coordinated with the installed program list.
>
> George
> .

George Neuner

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 12:30:03 -0700, Carlos
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"George Neuner" wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone know how to remove a program from the tray manager's
>> icon/notification customization list?
>>
>> The list shows applications that have been completely uninstalled - I
>> have verified that the program directories and registry entries for
>> them are gone - so there is no possibility that an icon or
>> notification will appear, but the tray manager doesn't seem to be
>> coordinated with the installed program list.
>>
>> .

>George,
>There is an easy solution for XP right here:
>http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Win...stem_Tray.html
>I am at work now so I can't test it at home in Win 7.
>
>Does it work for you?
>Carlos

That just shows/hides the icons and/or notifications. I want to edit
that list to remove options for applications that no longer exist and
so can't possibly show anything.

It appears that in Windows 7, applications do *not* get removed from
the tray icon control list if/when they are uninstalled.

I recently have been trying out a number of applications that
installed tray icons, and now the stupid list has options in it for
programs that have been removed.

George

GTS-NJ

If you click the show hidden icons ^ button is is the icon displayed there?
If so, what happens if you try to drag it to the tray?
--

"George Neuner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know how to remove a program from the tray manager's
> icon/notification customization list?
>
> The list shows applications that have been completely uninstalled - I
> have verified that the program directories and registry entries for
> them are gone - so there is no possibility that an icon or
> notification will appear, but the tray manager doesn't seem to be
> coordinated with the installed program list.
>
> George

George Neuner

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 22:28:12 -0400, "GTS-NJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you click the show hidden icons ^ button is is the icon displayed there?
>If so, what happens if you try to drag it to the tray?

There aren't any icons - the programs have been *uninstalled*.

The problem is that the program names and the options for their
non-existant icons are still in the tray customization list.

George

KCB

"George Neuner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 22:28:12 -0400, "GTS-NJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>If you click the show hidden icons ^ button is is the icon displayed
>>there?
>>If so, what happens if you try to drag it to the tray?

> There aren't any icons - the programs have been *uninstalled*.
>
> The problem is that the program names and the options for their
> non-existant icons are still in the tray customization list.
>
> George

This is from Don Patterson MVP, on MS Forums from November '09, to a poster
with exact problem you describe:

"If you're comfortable editing the registry:

Run Regedit and navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local
Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \TrayNotify

Delete the following keys from the right pane: "PasteIconsSteam " and
"IconStreams " keys.

Close the registry editor

Open task manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and kill the explorer.exe process.

Reboot"

There is a typo included in the original message. "PasteIconsSteam" should
be "PastIconsStream"

Do not attempt this if you are unsure of editing your registry.

George Neuner

On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 20:52:55 -0400, "KCB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"George Neuner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> There aren't any icons - the programs have been *uninstalled*.
>>
>> The problem is that the program names and the options for their
>> non-existant icons are still in the tray customization list.
>>
>> George

>This is from Don Patterson MVP, on MS Forums from November '09, to a poster
>with exact problem you describe:
>
>"If you're comfortable editing the registry:
>
>Run Regedit and navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local
>Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersio n\TrayNotify
>
>Delete the following keys from the right pane: "PastIconsSteam " and
>"IconStreams " keys.
>
>Close the registry editor
>
>Open task manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and kill the explorer.exe process.
>
>Reboot"

It worked! Thank you very much! I had to reset options for the
remaining non-system icons - they all defaulted to "only show
notifications", but now the list has only programs that really exist.

Still think Win7 should do this automagically when apps are removed.

George

KCB

"George Neuner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 20:52:55 -0400, "KCB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"George Neuner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>
>>> There aren't any icons - the programs have been *uninstalled*.
>>>
>>> The problem is that the program names and the options for their
>>> non-existant icons are still in the tray customization list.
>>>
>>> George

>>This is from Don Patterson MVP, on MS Forums from November '09, to a
>>poster
>>with exact problem you describe:
>>
>>"If you're comfortable editing the registry:
>>
>>Run Regedit and navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local
>>Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersi on\TrayNotify
>>
>>Delete the following keys from the right pane: "PastIconsSteam " and
>>"IconStreams " keys.
>>
>>Close the registry editor
>>
>>Open task manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and kill the explorer.exe process.
>>
>>Reboot"

> It worked! Thank you very much! I had to reset options for the
> remaining non-system icons - they all defaulted to "only show
> notifications", but now the list has only programs that really exist.
>
> Still think Win7 should do this automagically when apps are removed.
>
> George

I looked after I read your post, and couldn't find any leftover icons on my
machine, so it must only affect certain Win7 installations. I have the box
checked to show all icons and notifications, but I know some people would
have a very cluttered tray if they did that.